HMS "Prince of Wales"/GPM Nr 198

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Scorpio, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Then I have dyed all cut edges of earlier already low-cut parts of the main deck with watercolour pencil.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

To save place some parts on the unused surfaces are drawn by main deck. All parts must be cut out
  3. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Then the first deck adaptation test.
    Fits perfectly!
  4. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Now I have cut out all board walls, but this is already the next subject
  5. ehouli

ehouli Member

Hello Scorpio,

I'm astonished, your work is as always outstanding and very clean. Thanks for taking the time to show us your work step by step.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Hello friends,
    As I have already written, I will now do the Buleye
    First punch I with help of 1, 5 mm punches all drawn Buleye in the shelf-wall.
  7. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Then on 1, 5 mm drills rolls up I a 0, 2mm wire.
    So, feather originates a wire
  8. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Then, I cut these feathers with sharp knife or scalpel
  9. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

From so cut feather, small wire-rings originate, that with glue (Wiccoll), I paste in the punched puncture
  10. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

So, the Buleye see with pasted in wire-fights
  11. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

I turn so prepared shelf-wall and with transparent „Tesa-Band “sticks I behind the Buleye one piece of band.

So stuck band imitates the glass-disks of Buleye

Now, the main-deck is glued on the frame scaffolding and the shelf-walls however over it late

12. Renaud

Renaud Member

transparent tape

Are you not afraid of the way how the huge transparent tape and the paper it is applied on may expand or shrink differently, depending on the weather, (damp, hot, etc..) ending in a bad fit of the tape? I am doubtfull and worry a few.
    Such a boat would not be about to cross the oceans as the ill-fated Prince of Wales did on his long way to Singapore.
  13. cardfan

cardfan Member

I was wondering about dust getting in the holes over time and sticking to the glue on the tape, if that is just transparent tape. Could you perhaps run a small band of clear foil over the holes and then the tape to secure?
  14. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Hello friends,
    The Tape is from plastic and does not change his form. I have already built dutzend to models thus and it passes nothing.

After building ones the whole model it is sprayed with protection varnish UV and the viscous one put are no more viscous. I have no problems with make dust. One can dust, perhaps, dusty parts with soft paintbrush.

15. barry

barry Active Member

Fascinating build as ever thanks for all the tips along the way.

Birds wing feathers are quite good for dusting.

16. Steve Nuttall

Steve Nuttall New Member

If you spray the finished model down with a clear matt coat; it will stop to glue from picking up dust
    But then you can get the dust while you are still building; nice so far
  17. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Hi, friends
    Here fast a working photo.
    After stick of the main deck I have loaded whole still for a few hours with books and leave dry.

18. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

As always, a great step by step essay with outstanding photos, Christoph! :D

I, too, was wondering about how the tape over the portholes might pick up dust, but as I take it you've done this before...the clear coat when done apparently avoids the sticky tape problem. In my work shop, however, I would inevitably pick up some debris along the way before the protective coat is applied. :? It's a very nice trick for providing a clear window over a row of portholes with relatively little trouble. I use PVA in the port holes and windows which when fully dry is clear (if applied as a thin skin) and provides a nice appearance of glass.

I am looking forward to seeing the deck installed...superb fit from the earlier photos. Love your library! :wink:

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Hello friends,

It goes on. On all across frames I have stuck, in addition, white 6 mm wide paper stripes. That prevents origin of possible "ribs" and in the bow area the adhesive surface increases for Hull side
  20. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Then I have prepared the Hull side (have stuck on stuck together and cut edges dyed) and from rear in the direction of bow. At the moment only the Starboard side without side armour plating. Him I must still strengthen, in addition, with cardboard and then stick on the Hull side