HMS "Prince of Wales"/GPM Nr 198

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hello Scorpio,

I'm astonished, your work is as always outstanding and very clean. Thanks for taking the time to show us your work step by step.

Greetings,

Erick

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
I turn so prepared shelf-wall and with transparent „Tesa-Band “sticks I behind the Buleye one piece of band.

So stuck band imitates the glass-disks of Buleye

Now, the main-deck is glued on the frame scaffolding and the shelf-walls however over it late

Greeting
Christoph

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
transparent tape

Are you not afraid of the way how the huge transparent tape and the paper it is applied on may expand or shrink differently, depending on the weather, (damp, hot, etc..) ending in a bad fit of the tape? I am doubtfull and worry a few.
Such a boat would not be about to cross the oceans as the ill-fated Prince of Wales did on his long way to Singapore.

cardfan

Jan 17, 2004
Alamo, CA
Christoph,

I was wondering about dust getting in the holes over time and sticking to the glue on the tape, if that is just transparent tape. Could you perhaps run a small band of clear foil over the holes and then the tape to secure?

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hello friends,
@Renaud,
The Tape is from plastic and does not change his form. I have already built dutzend to models thus and it passes nothing.

@Glen,
After building ones the whole model it is sprayed with protection varnish UV and the viscous one put are no more viscous. I have no problems with make dust. One can dust, perhaps, dusty parts with soft paintbrush.

Greeting
Christoph

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Christoph

Fascinating build as ever thanks for all the tips along the way.

Birds wing feathers are quite good for dusting.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
As always, a great step by step essay with outstanding photos, Christoph! :D

I, too, was wondering about how the tape over the portholes might pick up dust, but as I take it you've done this before...the clear coat when done apparently avoids the sticky tape problem. In my work shop, however, I would inevitably pick up some debris along the way before the protective coat is applied. :? It's a very nice trick for providing a clear window over a row of portholes with relatively little trouble. I use PVA in the port holes and windows which when fully dry is clear (if applied as a thin skin) and provides a nice appearance of glass.

I am looking forward to seeing the deck installed...superb fit from the earlier photos. Love your library! :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Then I have prepared the Hull side (have stuck on stuck together and cut edges dyed) and from rear in the direction of bow. At the moment only the Starboard side without side armour plating. Him I must still strengthen, in addition, with cardboard and then stick on the Hull side