HMS Prince of Wales (GPM, 1:200)

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Andrew Austin, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

1/200 is the realm of really serious modelers. Water's too deep & cold for me. You're off to a good start. Good luck!
  2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great start! The hull is quite impressive! Beautiful job!

3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent job on the hull, Andrew!

She's a beaut! Carl's right, you're off to a wonderful start on this build with a nice, neat looking hull...and a big one at that! This will obviously be the center of attention in any room when done.
    Looking forward to more as you continue with this excellent build!

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very nice work!
    I like the look down the length of the hull! Slick!
    She's really shaping up to be a beautiful ship!
    Keep at her, were all waiting for more pictures!:twisted:

5. Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin Member

Rudder and propellers

Thanks for all your comments, they are much appreciated.

I have completed the rudder, propellers and stabilisers, suprisingly these took quite some time! All the below the water-line parts have been attached - only the superstructure to go!!

By the way, is anyone following the America's Cup yacht racing? I would really like to see one of those boats in card!

6. gippolot

gippolot Member

Andrew, this will be a truly beautiful model if the recent pic's remotely demonstrate your skill.:) :) :) Looking forward to this one.

Best of luck in the Cup. Though you will be racing against your old team, won't you? (I'm an ex-dingy sailor). We always used a US local to win the starts for us.

Even though the yachts are so much better now, I still love those old Herreshoff designs.

7. Clashster

Clashster Member

Andrew, you continue to impress! Below the waterline is beautiful! Can't wait to see the superstructure come together! Keep up the great work! Thanks for posting!

8. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Great job so far, Andrew! Looks like another fun ship model building thread to follow. Keep the pics coming!:grin:
  9. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Great build Andrew!...and another BIG ship build here on :) Big is beautiful :grin:

Btw, what's the scale and name of the unfinished ship in picture 15?
  10. Marko

Marko New Member

Hi andrew, i must say, you doing a great job here.

gian, i think it's a DKM scharnhorst or perhaps the DKM Gneisenau from JSC 1:400. (superstructure level 1 & main guns mounts looks like that and it has a typical german stern)

best regards,
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very nice work, Andrew! Clean and neat!
    I think you did an exceptional job on those Props! They just look so...., perfect!
    You can tell by looking, you took your time and made sure you got it just right!8)

I have enjoyed the build progress so much in fact that I had to go back to the beginning and start over
    just so I could admire and drool all over your build pictures, all over again! :-D
    I can only pray my hulls look as good as yours though! Great job, Andrew! Inspirational!

Patiently waiting for more.:twisted:
  12. jnyoun

jnyoun Member

Excellent building.... I just purchased one because of you...:)

My building skill level is not up to this level yet, but I hope to improve it by finishing 'onslow' and 'USS portland'...
  13. Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin Member

Thanks everyone for your comments - they are an excellent motivator!

That is amazing detective work Marko - it is the DKM Scharnhorst!! unfortuantly the remaining pages got wet - so it remains about 1/4 complete

jnyoun - Apparently one of the gun turrets is too short - I can email you the part GPM issued to fix the problem, if you send me a PM with your emial address.

I am starting the superstructure, and will post some more pictures soon,

14. jnyoun

jnyoun Member

Hi Andrew..

I PM'ed to you. Thanks.
  15. Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin Member

Start of the superstructure

Hi everyone,

I have completed the lowest level of the bridge and have included some photographs.

This came together well - the fit on GPM models is very good.

16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Very nice job, Andrew.

The fit may be good, but you are doing a superb job with this kit as well.

Keep at it, mate!