HMS Glowworm

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Excellent Job Barry!

Do you find that silk threads are thinner than the cotton or synthetic fiber ones? Good looking build.

I can't wait to see your next project.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Looks more than alright, mate...downright splendid!

Great job on the rigging...and the rest of the build.

@eibwarrior: I tend to use fly tying silk for most of the rigging I do in the smaller scale I work in, and I fell it's a lot better to use than cotton or synthetic fiber...there is no fluff as in cotton and available in very small diameters, which is fine for my stuff.

One way to lessen the fluff on cotton is to run it through some wax (bees wax is the prefered wax for shipmodeling), and run the waxed thread through your fingers to work it into the thread...the friction heat melts the wax enough to penetrate and hold the fibers down.

Synthetic blends are better than plain cotton because they are slightly waxed or coated already, so less fluff...I would still wax them slightly to reduce the fluff even more.

Looking forward to the next one, bazzer!:wink:

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Jim...

I've struggled with realistic looking rigging at small scales. I have a 1/700 Fletcher that has some monofilament fishing line for rigging. It looks too big. It was the lightest weight line I could find (2 pound test). Still too big.

The wax is a good idea. Threads tend to be best for scale, but the fuzz has always been a problem.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
rigging

Hi All

For 1/700th models and if you have good eyesight the next time your friendly female companion ladders her tights pinch them and pull the threads size is spot on but you need good eyesight again it's fluffy. Jim Bauman has a great article on rigging at modelwarships.com.

Looking around card models Christoph does it best using stretched sprue something else I can't do. Never have got the rigging right. This time I tried for ages with monofilament but could not get the stuff to stick in spite of good quality superglue and sanding the ends.

Thanks for the kind comments anyway lads

regards

barry

ps this ship is not really finished but the last parts are so tiny I decide to do them on good days only.

pps next is finish Starling then Norfolk and I must build DNs Arizona

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Barry and Jim,

I just found something last night at Wal-Mart that I'm going to give a try for 1/700 scale rigging. It's thin, semi-transparent, nylon thread. It's .005" thick which is perfect for this small scale stuff. It doesn't appear to have any fuzz that I can see and it appears to be almost like a monofilament thread.

I'll let you know what I run into using it.

T

Texman

I have been using the .005 nylon thread for rigging for awhile now on my kits. It works perfect for my 1/144 planes. It does glue well (have had better success with gel type superglue) but pva does work also. It has a small amount of stretchability, so you can tighten it well. And, a soldering iron
will tighten up any loose areas you might have. It has worked well for me.

Ray

CRS

May 26, 2005
Szczecin Poland
try to use fishing line to make all lines, but for rails tiny copper wire is better (i use 0.35mm for posts and 0.18mm for rails), fishing line is not so "fuzzy"