HMS Bellona

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by pashlispaht, Jun 25, 2007.

1. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Your fitting is wonderful.
    I´ll follow this thread closely. Your attention on the details is impressive, and using some other materials will add an extra spirit to the model. Looks like this is going to be a top one.
    About your question, I think that when we´re building this beauties we must put, as much as we can, the same amount of perfectionism in all parts equally.
    Keep it going just as awesome as it is.
  2. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I just had a revelation today. As I was looking at my model, I suddenly had a flash of inspiration concerning the cannons. I have seen plastic models with fiberoptics installed in the hull to give the appearance of light in the portholes, and I got to thinking what would be lit on an English man-of-war. The obvious answer is the only thing that would be lit would be the cannons when they were firing, but how to replicate this in the model? I realized that the fibers could be routed to the cannons and inserted into a hole in the bottom of each cannon, and a red filter emplaced inside the barrel so that only red light would show. The batteries and light source could be concealed in a sufficiently thick hardwood base and routed into the model through the fore and aft hull cradle. The only problem was how to give the appearance of the cannons firing at random intervals. I do not want them to stay on full time like portholes, and while I was pondering this the answer came to me. A turntable device similiar to a record player only smaller, could be built and the light source concealed underneath a slowly rotating disc. The disc would have cutouts that as they passed over the ends of the fibers would allow the light to be transmitted through the fibers to the cannons. The fibers could be placed randomly around the path of the disk so that as the disk progresses, single cannons or groups of cannons would appear to fire followed by a period of dwell where unseen gunners could be imagined to be frantically swabbing and reloading the cannons prior to firing again at those nasty French... I am curious if any of the readers out there have heard of such a system and have any experience building and installing fiberoptics?
  3. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Another amazing idea that people around here keep having. hamr
    I just can´t stop being stuned. jawdrop
    Unfortunately, I can´t help you with the fiberoptics. I could do it with simple electronic components and leds. But I´ll love to see your model turning into a real piece of art with this fiberoptics light effects.
    I´m anxiously waiting to see it. :twisted:
  4. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Electric components and LEDs would be good too; however I know next to nothing about electronics or power sources. Any input on how to turn this into reality would help. I am at the point on my model where I would have to start making decisions in order to make this happen. Once the decks are in place then this kind of thing will be impossible.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Fiber optics would be neat but most gun ports on ships of the line remained closed till just prior to doing battle (water tight integrity imperative). I guess you have to start planning how the ship is to be shown as modeled. If you want to show the gun ports you have to reef the lower mainsails which was standard practice in preparation for battle. Find out where the ship served and think about what it might have looked like while at anchor for instance. Another popular way of showing a ship is on the ways during a refit...,

There's an endless procession of snapshot modes for a ship models. When planned and executed well they can become spectacular works of miniature.

Best regards,

P.S. I guess you married the girl that you showed pictures of several years ago?
  6. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Gil, yes I married her several years ago. She has taken an interest in my project here and has been bugging me to be in more photos! As to the model, I have already decided to show the ship as prepared for battle with the cannons run out, and I think reefing the lower sails looks better anyway. The detail on the decks are more visible that way.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I remember her picture well, she was quite the lovely model for the models!:cool:
    You did darn good in the wife department!
    She not only is a knockout but she is interested in your passions too!
    What more can a man ask for!?!

More pictures!:twisted:

8. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have submitted a picture of the progress on one of the decks. I have planked and sanded/burnished/scribed the planks in this photo, and I have several rows of trunnels marked out. I use a small punch to mark each trunnel and I would have been finished already if it was not for my wife complaining that the hammering was interferring with her show. Oh well, maybe tomorrow I will finish it. She told me that she will be in more pictures once she has a chance to do her makeup and choose a suitable outfit... Not that she needs it! Anyway, the deck photo.

9. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

The wood planks effect is wonderful!
    I couldn´t imagine a better looking for this deck. :thumb:
    About the light effects in the cannons, I can help you with the project, but you wold have to buy the components and assembly them yourself, since I live in Brazil. I don´t know the exact terms in english for the components, but I can manage to help you someway. This kind of project involves very cheap components, but in very large number (the LEDs for the cannons for instance) and a lot of electric wire. Of course, you would need a power source too (9 V battery at least). Let me know if you really want to do it. I´ll be at your service.:wave:
    If anyone have a better idea or easier way to do it, with the fiberoptics or anything else, please share.:confused:

Keep it going!
  10. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Slightly out of topic but this may sound silly...what is that gray pad you're using with the numbers and grids?

Can you cut on it without damaging it?

I'm trying to cut out some paper models but nothing survives under the cut part. The blade pieces through everything I put the cardmodel piece on and slices it into itsy bits of pieces.

Can somebody help as to what I can put the card model part on to so that I can cut it cleanly? :confused:

Nice formers and hull plating! More pics pls!
  11. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

It is a cutting board or pad. They are available at most craft and office supply outlets. They come in a variety of sizes and colours. The best have self healing surfaces. I suppose it is possible to cut through one but not through normal use. It is essential to keep the surface clean - hitting a small blob of hardened glue when cutting can be disasterous. I highly recommend their use :thumb:
  12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

At hobby or craft stores you can find 'self repairing' mats. They are a plastic / rubber type material that withstands the cutting. That is what this gray pad is here, you'll see a lot of people using them. It sure beats the old days when you just used a piece of wood until it was too chopped up, then started with a new one.
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You can also find them at Wal-Mart, if you have one of those near you.
    Look in the sewing, crotchet, craft area. Usually they have a small one for about $12 which is about 12" x 18" and then a much larger 24" x 36" which will set you back about $25.
    They smaller one is more than adequate.
    The one I'm using right now, I bought at Office Depot for $12.
    It is made by Staedtler and is a real nice looking ice blue color.

A word of caution;
    Make sure you get a mat that says it is a self-healing cutting mat.
    There is one made for rotary blades also but it is not self healing and you don't want one of those as it is not made for cutting on.

14. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

My cutting mat is made by Fiskars and I have made so many cuts on it that some of the grid is no longer visible but I have yet to cut a section out of it. I would like a bigger mat but I really have no need for one because the straight edge I use for cutting is only six inches and I rarely have need to cut a straight line longer than that.
  15. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Concerning the fiberoptics, I found a rotating fiberoptic night light at Walmart for $20 that would be perfect for my project. I have held off construction on the model until I can get the fibers installed. I am feeling pretty confident in my ability to achieve the effect I am looking for.
  16. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks for the help guys!

Geez...I guess I'm still in the old days, I used wood before...and then I always have to change it because I cut very deeply.,,I then chenged the wood into a square piece of worked for a few days until I accidentally shattered it :cry:

Regarding HMS Bellona's mast (and other Shipyard cardmodels in fact) I have this card model including 2 others...i noticed that in all 3 kits, the mast patterns seems to be only can't roll them into cylinders to form a mast...does this mean that you really have to buy aftermarket mast accessories?
  17. David H

David H Member

This is an interesting point Gian7675.

The few examples of 18th and 19th century warships I have visited in the UK all appear to have steel replacement masts painted in a brownish colour, see the victory picture below.

Given conditions at sea and the naval penchant to paint everything that doesn't move a painted finish seems reasonable.

What we need is someone who has studied contemporary naval paintings to give us their opinion...

18. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Is that normal for wood decks to appear that grey color as seen in the photo of the Victory? Would it be reasonable to assume that the decks on other frigates would appear that color or does regular scrubbing/maintenance keep them from going grey? I am trying to match my wooden decks to that color and I do not have any ideas short of painting which I really do not want to do...
  19. David H

David H Member

Well I would have to say that in my experience silver grey is the colour of decks on preserved ships. From memory the Warrior is more brown, but she is was being re-decked at the time.

Trincomalee in Hartlepool is also silver grey in some lights.

Looking at old fences etc. they are often silver / grey in colour, so perhaps it is exposure to the elements.

20. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Fiberoptics it will be then. :thumb:
    I´m really looking forward to see how you´ll work with it and put things together... :confused: