HMS Bellona

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by pashlispaht, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your formers look great! You can see the beautiful shape of the hull.
    Yeah, a long way to go but you are on the most important step and it looks like your doing a great job so far!
    Looking forward to seeing your progress!

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great so far! The formers are so important, and you look like you have done well with them! Keep up the great work!

3. Maharg

Maharg Member

Great work pashlispaht :thumb:

Thats an excellent tip M8 thank you. :)
  4. JerzyBin

JerzyBin Member

perhaps stupid question.
    What's a former? In terms you meant it.
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

formers = framework, skeleton
  6. JerzyBin

JerzyBin Member

7. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have made further progress on the stringers to lock the whole frame together. It is amazing how sturdy the whole structure becomes with the addition of the stringers. Here, my lovely wife holds the model for her boatbuilder husband. Helen of Troy doesn't have anything on her... Just a few more pieces and I can glue everything together...
  8. Clashster

Clashster Member

Nice way to display your progress! The build looks smooth and neat! Great job!

9. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Pashliphat: I'll be watching your build with great interest because I also have this kit and got it from jerzy :thumb:

Anyway, just asking, how are you going to tackle the supposed to be 3d Figurehead on the bow and the intricate woodcarvings at the captain's cabin and the lanterns?

On a sidenote, can somebody please post the build of the HMS Victory by Christoph at I really want to see it :mrgreen:
  10. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have the same problem with the Victory build too. I saved the link and it no longer works... As to the figurehead and carvings in the rear I have several ideas. The first involves using my Dremel to actually carve the items out of some kind of suitable material, possibly superglue-soaked card or even wood. The second involves just ordering the figurehead from a catalog! I have seen it on an online catalog but the link was on the above mentioned Victory site.
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Yea................frames look pretty good as well look forward to the rest of the thread
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I found the build thread of HMS VICTORY by Christoph here: | Bauberichte | HMS VIKTORY /Shipyard / Maßstab 1:96

Is that what you were looking for?

You have an excellent start on the hull, which is the critical foundation from which most of the model proceeds, so you have a superb start!

I will be watching with much delight and interest as you continue in this build, this is one of favorite types of paper models. I also look forward to how you create the figurehead and transom ornamentation...but first things first!:mrgreen:

I wish they would update the system so we got email notification when new posts are made to a thread, but I haven't seen any so far.

Keep at it, mate, she's a beauty!!

13. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Yes, that was the thread I was looking for. Any ideas how he smoothed out the hull after planking the sides? It looks like some kind of paint of filler but I cannot translate the captions. I have found some copper leaf for coppering the hull of my model so I guess the seams will be covered, but a smooth shape is still necessary because the leaf will take the form of whatever is underneath it...
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Christophs comment is that he sanded and then painted it and usually mentions filler if he used any.
  15. YuG

YuG Member

You are doing a great job!!!
    I bought Shipyard HMS Cleopatra but I was at a loss how to make it.
    This is a good news to know you are making it. I'll wait until you finish it then I'd like to make mine following your report.
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

17. YuG

YuG Member

Thanks a lot. I just quickly took a look at all the pictures. Fantastic!!!
    And with this nice thread I feel like I could make it. Ah, first of all I must brush up my skill.
  18. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Thanks for the info; the Cleo thread has been especially useful. I am slowly making progress on the hull. Not much new to post. Glueing all the parts of the formers to the other parts of the frame is going quite slow with hundreds of joints that need to be glued and alignment checked... I will post some more photos when it is completed.
  19. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have been working on the model for some time now and I finally have some more photos to upload of my progress. The process of fairing and skinning the hull was very tedious and took some time. I also had difficulty finding time to work on my project between the demands of my job and my wife and son. Putting the hull together can be very frustrating because it seems that in order to do X, you have to do Y and Z first but that requires a whole new series of projects. Right now I am at the point where I need to build the cannons, or at least the carriages so I can put them in place and skin the gunports. These will not be accessible after I put the decks in place. So I am left with a dilemna. To build all the carriages now and emplace the front and rear guns, or to simply build some kind of box around the inside of the gunport and glue a cannon inside of it after I finish the hull. It does not feel right to do the latter but I have a feeling that the detail on the carriage will be completely nonvisible once the deck is in place. So what to do? Anyway, I have attached some photos of my progress to this point.

Here is a view of the underside of the hull with the first layer of skin attached. Surprisingly it fit perfectly with almost no gaps. This has really increased my confidence in the quality of the kit.

Another view from the front of the ship.

This image is of a section of the deck. I never liked how the deck has a fake woodgrain pattern printed into it. And the color seemed wrong too although I have never been on a real frigate for comparison. I found some thin model aircraft plywood and have cut it into hundreds of planks to apply to the deck of the model. My thanks to Scorpio for the idea for the technique. I will post pictures of the deck too once it has been completed.
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I can tell this ship is really going to be something special, with your close attention to details!
    I can't wait to see the deck when it is complete.
    Please take plenty of pictures along the way. It will be great to see your technique as you move along with it.

Very nice work!