HMS Ark Royal

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Psyscape, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Psyscape

Psyscape Member

Would anybody happen to know if there is a paper/card model of the Ark Royal available. I'm specifically looking for the one which served during WW2 that was sunk off Gibraltar in 1941. Pennant R91 IIRC.

I am aware of the Maly Modelarz version - and have had a browse on their website (though I find the place totally confusing) and a large portion, including the Ark Royal does not seem to be available, at least, the catalogue year links between 1985 and 2000 are dead and many other pages are empty.

If worst comes to worst, I could perhaps re-purpose the JSC Victorious, but the JSC store shows it, I think, as out of stock. A little red x on the cart. *sigh* I suppose it is an old model, and one can't keep stock around forever.

I can re-purpose the JSC Invincible as Ark Royal for the Invincible class (and have at least found a UK supplier for that model), although I've pretty much given up any hope of finding an Audacious class carrier anywhere.

To recap, models I'm looking for are

HMS Ark Royal 1937 commissioned, sunk 1941, pennant R91
    HMS Ark Royal (Audacious class carrier) commissioned around 1955, decommissioned 1978, pennant R38
    (was fortunate enough to go on board this beauty when she was docked in Portsmouth)

Alternative to the 1937 Ark Royal would be the JSC HMS Victorious, their model seems to have the through deck prior to the angle deck refit after WW2. This ship saw action against the Bismark and is about as close to the Ark Royal as I've managed to find. Can't find a distributor that has one in stock though.

Any clue or pointer in the general direction of something suitable would be much appreciated.
  2. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

You can't buy it from MM site - it's archival issue, so perhaps will be available on CD someday. For now you have to look for second hand trade - like this auction on eBay (it will end in almost a week), or this one (ends in over 2 days)

On a Polish forum there is an interesting thread about building the model in 1:600 scale, unfortunately doesn't say what model did he minimised - I assume that MM 11-12.1990

Apart from that you might be interested in this pdf about discovery of it's wreck
  3. Psyscape

Psyscape Member

Thanks Lehcyfer, I have that pdf and the BBC documentary of the discovery of the wreck, as well as a couple books. I'll take a look at the ebay auctions, see if I can acquire one that way.

Ta muchly, I appreciate the help, I almost never think to check ebay for anything. ;)
  4. herky

herky New Member

hiya,
    i have ........
    ...... files.
    dont know if im breaking rukes here
    regars
    herky

YES, you have broken many rules. READ the rules, consider this a warning!
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Do not offer to exchange files on this forum that you do not have permission to exchange. Do not offer scans of models, period. Read the rules..
  6. kret69

kret69 New Member

Psyscape, I have made the model You are describing in the past and can help You out. PM me for details. My offering does not include piracing or illegal copy sending, nor does it in any other form break this forum's rules.

Best regards

Krzysztof
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

What people do in their private lives is no one's business. It is always better to contact people through Private Messages, then no one has to worry about anything because no one has seen anything, you know what I mean?
    I encourage people to make relationships and friendships, just keep what you do off of the forum unless you want to display it. People have lives, we all understand this. Just a little bit of common sense needs to be used. :)
  8. herky

herky New Member

there is a newer version of maly ark royal.model no mm7-9/2011 availible on gpm siteangel
  9. zathros

zathros Administrator Administrator

This is a model $69.95, which could be used to make a paper model of. SOunds kind of backwards but sometimes that is what it takes, then you can upgrade your detail level. if you can get me good line drawings, i can ake you a hull, towers, and give you a good start on a paper one. Specifically, I need the hull shape from botom and front to back. Straight side shots don't cut it, unless the show they hull shapes from the top, then we make a waterline model. The hull has many nuances. :)

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/hms-ark-royal-atlantic-1941-1-700-forces-of-valor-fv-86007/