HMS Ark Royal by Maly

mor54

Feb 26, 2007
Israel
Hi,

I want to shear with you the "never ending story" of this model, that I hope to finish this time for good.

From interest in military history, the short and active history of the HMS Ark Royal was very interesting, and modeling it, was a high priority in my "wish list". In the 90's I had a subscription for Maly Modelarz models, and when in 1990 they published a 1:300 model of the HMS Ark Royal, I put every thing a side and started to build it.

Scan0.jpg
[/IMG]

Scan1.jpg
[/IMG]

After finishing the framing structure, and while doing the hull plating, I run into some problems - In those "dark days" Maly's paper was rough like sand paper, and the printed colors (at list in my copy) were dark, and the hull looks like a disaster. At that time it was hard to find information like pictures and drawings (at list in Israel)– Internet was something to dream of, and I had to put this model aside.

Some years later, with the advance of the internet, I have found some general drawings, and camouflage data, and the model was restarted. I removed the hull plating, and re-do it again. Hull was painted using Acrylic paint.

Bridge model design provided by Maly looks different from the drawings I have, and without more pictures, the model was put aside once more, but continue my internet search

004.jpg
[/IMG]

Beginning of 2006, I have found more pictures, and I felt that this time it will have a happy ending. At the moment I have around 70Mags of data, most of the information was coming from:
1. Model Warships forum specific on HMS Ark Royal
2. Google search for drawing and pictures
3. Drawing bought from Windjammer Arts at a scale of -----
4. An Morsky Collection publication on HMS Ark Royal from 2001.
5. Scans from publications on history of Fleet Air Arm and Royal Navy cariers, that have a few pictures of it.

Based on this data the bridge was screatch build from base, including base for the rear pom-pom gun, and some pipes routing.

005.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF0013.jpg
[/IMG]

The bow was partially re-designed with some detailling. The following pictures are the model statuse as it is now.

003.jpg
[/IMG]
002.jpg
[/IMG]
001.jpg
[/IMG]

To continue, I will appreciate geting some help on the following:
- More bridge details
- Color of the boats and rafts
- color of AA directors

Thanks for any help,

Shalom Mor