Hms Ajax

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
beejay said:
Hello Rick,
HMS JERVIS BAY I know, the same heroic story as HMS RAWALPINDI, but the skipper of one got a V.C., the other one didn't (why?)
The story of BEAVERFORD I do not know. Can you tell me more please?
VBR
beejay

Beaverford was in the same convoy as Jervis Bay and took on the blocking role after Jervis Bay was sunk - she held off the Admiral Scheer for something like 4 hours until finally torpedoed, no survivors.

Regards,

Charlie

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
beejay said:
Hello Rick,
HMS JERVIS BAY I know, the same heroic story as HMS RAWALPINDI, but the skipper of one got a V.C., the other one didn't (why?)
VBR
beejay

Beaverford was in the same convoy as Jervis Bay and took on the blocking role after Jervis Bay was sunk - she held off the Admiral Scheer for something like 4 hours until finally torpedoed, no survivors.

Regards,

Charlie

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Hey guys this is great.

As I understand it the auxiliary cruisers were part built with government money with gun mounts built in. Kind of opposite of the commerce raiders ie not secret! It would be cool to have a pre-war liner in company livery and a war time version in grey!

Ajax anyone? I fear I may have to resort to Airfix!

Best

D

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Hey guys this is great.

As I understand it the auxiliary cruisers were part built with government money with gun mounts built in. Kind of opposite of the commerce raiders ie not secret! It would be cool to have a pre-war liner in company livery and a war time version in grey!

Ajax anyone? I fear I may have to resort to Airfix!

Best

D

beejay

Oct 12, 2005
Thank you Charlie,
I immediately read up on Convoy HX84. All brave men. The reason why I had not heard of Beaverford before is because she was not an Armed Merchant Cruiser, she was a defensively equipped Merchant Ship, a liner,with a civilian crew, which I think makes their actions even more laudable.
Thank you Maurice, yes, you are right. In my defence,I got that info from an early edition of 'Warships of World War 2' by Lenton and Colledge, which expressly states that AJAX was shorter overall from the rest of the group. This info is corrected in Lenton's later work 'British and Empire Warships of the Second World War'.
David don't give up on AJAX. There must be more than one for sale out there somewhere!

beejay

Oct 12, 2005
Thank you Charlie,
I immediately read up on Convoy HX84. All brave men. The reason why I had not heard of Beaverford before is because she was not an Armed Merchant Cruiser, she was a defensively equipped Merchant Ship, a liner,with a civilian crew, which I think makes their actions even more laudable.
Thank you Maurice, yes, you are right. In my defence,I got that info from an early edition of 'Warships of World War 2' by Lenton and Colledge, which expressly states that AJAX was shorter overall from the rest of the group. This info is corrected in Lenton's later work 'British and Empire Warships of the Second World War'.
David don't give up on AJAX. There must be more than one for sale out there somewhere!

Rick Thomson

Aug 21, 2005
Rastatt, Germany
beejay said:
Hello Rick,
VBR
beejay

Hi Beejay,

Check this link out http://members.tripod.com/~merchantships/cprships1.html

More guts than Dick Tracy, taking on a battleship with a couple of 4 inch popguns. Ok, late with this info...note to self...read the rest of the thread before replying.

Regards, Rick

PS The model of HMS Colossus (Arromaches) arrived today, I think that even Joe Thumbfingers here might be able to fake the Bonaventure or Magnificent with it, the island and gun sponsoons are somewhat different, but the flight deck is about the same for the Maggie, and the Bonnie is similar for the front 1/3 .

Of course reality will likely turn around and bite me in the butt.

Rick Thomson

Aug 21, 2005
Rastatt, Germany
beejay said:
Hello Rick,
VBR
beejay

Hi Beejay,

Check this link out http://members.tripod.com/~merchantships/cprships1.html

More guts than Dick Tracy, taking on a battleship with a couple of 4 inch popguns. Ok, late with this info...note to self...read the rest of the thread before replying.

Regards, Rick

PS The model of HMS Colossus (Arromaches) arrived today, I think that even Joe Thumbfingers here might be able to fake the Bonaventure or Magnificent with it, the island and gun sponsoons are somewhat different, but the flight deck is about the same for the Maggie, and the Bonnie is similar for the front 1/3 .

Of course reality will likely turn around and bite me in the butt.

beejay

Oct 12, 2005
Hello Rick,
Thank you very much for that link, much appreciated.
As you rightly say, more guts than Dick Tracy.
The more that I read about convoys in WW2, the more I am filled with admiration for those seamen.(but we must not hi-jack this thread!)
Surely someone out there must be able to find a couple of HMS AJAX kits for Dave. Maybe one of those highly skilled Polish modellers can help?

P.S. Very good news about the Arromanches kit. I am very much looking forward to seeing the builds and if I can help with info, please give me a shout
VBR (Very Best Regards)
beejay

beejay

Oct 12, 2005
Hello Rick,
Thank you very much for that link, much appreciated.
As you rightly say, more guts than Dick Tracy.
The more that I read about convoys in WW2, the more I am filled with admiration for those seamen.(but we must not hi-jack this thread!)
Surely someone out there must be able to find a couple of HMS AJAX kits for Dave. Maybe one of those highly skilled Polish modellers can help?

P.S. Very good news about the Arromanches kit. I am very much looking forward to seeing the builds and if I can help with info, please give me a shout
VBR (Very Best Regards)
beejay

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Beejay,

You might well be right but my polish doesn't go far enough... and the download button does not seem to work for me (Mac problem?).

I will keep looking.

D

P.S. Don't worry about hi-jacking, it's good to talk!

I have met some old sailors and ship builders over the years and the one thing that comes across is the pride they took in doing a good job, be it sailing or building. We should remember them.

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Beejay,

You might well be right but my polish doesn't go far enough... and the download button does not seem to work for me (Mac problem?).

I will keep looking.

D

P.S. Don't worry about hi-jacking, it's good to talk!

I have met some old sailors and ship builders over the years and the one thing that comes across is the pride they took in doing a good job, be it sailing or building. We should remember them.

beejay

Oct 12, 2005
Hello David,
I have sent an e-mail to GPM re AJAX and I will let you know the reply.
I am ex R.N., but never saw a shot fired in anger at sea, unless you count being on the receiving end of thrown fish and throwing potatoes back during the 'Cod War'!!
With regard to the men I served with, most officers in those days seemed to have their eyes only fixed on the promotion ladder and the majority of senior rates seemed to have forgotten their humble beginnings!!
Maybe it was me that was out of step, but the ships that I wanted to be drafted to were being taken out of commission and scrapped. If she did not have scuttles, she was not a proper ship!! (My grandfather used to say the same about coal-burning ships. To quote : "It was dirty hard work bunkering, but the whole crew used to muck in and it helped to build up cameraderie"
It cannot be contested that the seamen that fought in WW1 and WW2 greatly expanded the traditions of the RN (and the M.N.) and the glory.
I have never forgotten the expression from an earlier era: 'If blood be the price of Admiralty, by God, we have paid in full'.
I think by taking an interest in their ships and building models of them and remembering their deeds, their memory will always be kept alive.
I hope that this does not sound too gung-ho.
Very best regards
beejay

beejay

Oct 12, 2005
Hello David,
I have sent an e-mail to GPM re AJAX and I will let you know the reply.
I am ex R.N., but never saw a shot fired in anger at sea, unless you count being on the receiving end of thrown fish and throwing potatoes back during the 'Cod War'!!
With regard to the men I served with, most officers in those days seemed to have their eyes only fixed on the promotion ladder and the majority of senior rates seemed to have forgotten their humble beginnings!!
Maybe it was me that was out of step, but the ships that I wanted to be drafted to were being taken out of commission and scrapped. If she did not have scuttles, she was not a proper ship!! (My grandfather used to say the same about coal-burning ships. To quote : "It was dirty hard work bunkering, but the whole crew used to muck in and it helped to build up cameraderie"
It cannot be contested that the seamen that fought in WW1 and WW2 greatly expanded the traditions of the RN (and the M.N.) and the glory.
I have never forgotten the expression from an earlier era: 'If blood be the price of Admiralty, by God, we have paid in full'.
I think by taking an interest in their ships and building models of them and remembering their deeds, their memory will always be kept alive.
I hope that this does not sound too gung-ho.
Very best regards
beejay