History & Stories

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by gera, Sep 10, 2004.

1. gera

gera Member

Hi Everyone:
    One of the most interesting parts of a model is its "History" and its "Stories".
    One of the first things I do before making a model is read about it as much as possible. It makes it come "alive" as you cut and glue the parts knowing what the original did or was or never did!!!! :(
    I am building an Italian L6/40 Light Tank. Its history is horrible!!!!! it was a two man job, small engine and very light armour. But these little things (About the size of an American M3) were sent to Africa where they were of practical no use against the British tanks. No question, the Italian crews were heroic and put up some good fights.
    Knowing things like this and thousand of other stories of different subjects which are available in our hobby makes more fun building them. Besides sometimes while researching in the Internet about the model you want to build or are building, you find great photos and drawings which help in the coloring of the subject. I do a lot of conversions with my painting and drawing programs. I change colors, markings, numbers to make the model more like the real one.
    I am presently researching B-24`s, since I downloaded the new B-24 by Fiddlersgreen, and might just change the painting job. You can too by just looking around the Internet. Some markings are incredible and fun to make.
    So welcome and tell all of us stories about the subject of your models I am sure everyone will enjoy it . One of those stories, photos and historical notes might just get someone to start cutting paper!!!!!

Regards to all :wink:
  2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Very happy to hear that you are researching the B24 Liberator, and moderating this forum. Have done some searches myself on the B24, and have collected as many photos as I could get hold of on the web, including a "walkaround" site or two with a lot of detailed photos inside and out.

Also have started thinking about recolouring an old Fly model B24 I got hold of (kit reviewed here). Project on the backburner right now, but I'd be most interested to stay in contact and will follow your work with great interest.

Anything I could help with, just give me a holler over the PM mail or here.

Best, Leif Oh
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Nothing changes really

Hi All

In desperation of the piles of idiot government letters over the years I was dumping a drawerful of them, luckily I had to check each item instead of upending the drawer over the bin. I found a couple of magazines and books

The Mediterranean Fleet HMSO (Maurice will know that one) it had been lost for years.

A copy of Model boats February 1973 price 15p I had forgotten we had gone metric by then (unfortunately I still think in Imperial)

The advert which interested me was the one for Harold Underhills drawings still highly regarded and the fibre glass frigate was high on my list but the price was way above my budget.

The model of the month was Viribus Unitis.

Anyway I thought it might be interesting.

4. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

B 24, historically speaking...

research and, especially, first hand accounts are what really inspire me at times in the creativity department. the B 24 was the american heavy bomber considered second best to the B 17. not all would agree... the american raid on ploesti was the most decorated mission in u.s. history, including 5 medals of honor (3 posthumous). one particular aircraft's ordeal from that mission lasted 30 years. the story of the "LADY BE GOOD" is a tragedy which deserves telling, if only to honor the crews. the lone star flight museum in galveston tx has a nice diorama (plastic, 1/48) on exhibit showing the final resting attitude of the aircraft. there are superstitions associated with this particular ship...
  5. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

...lady be good was lost after a raid on italy. see ladybegood.com
  6. charliec

charliec Active Member

How about a review of the Italian L6/40 light tank - the model is of an unusual subject which probably would be interest to other AFV modellers.

I hope I'm thinking of the right tank - was the L6/40 the tank that had the weird arrangement of 2 torsion bars with large swing arms with a pair of roadwheels on the end of the arm?

7. Maurice

Maurice Member

I don't mind you carbon dating yourself but stop trying to drag me down with you. :lol:
    I did acquire a copy of that HMSO book at one time together with a couple of others whose titles are long forgotten and I'm still sore about how they came to depart my possession.
    The Viribus Unitas drawing I still have as a cutting, along with most others in the series.
    The price of that frigate meant it never even made it onto my wish list.
    I have only recently acquired my first Harold A Underhill drawings.
    New Pence were introduced in February 1971
    I find Imperial increasingly difficult to revert to, almost everything I've done for the last 30 years or so has required me to think metric.

I shall get my own back by pointing out that the current Pound coin is 22.5 mm diameter.
    So there.
  8. shrike

shrike Guest

This has the potential for being a very very dangerous place for me. I've found that over the years researching subjects has often had as much if not more appeal than actually building them.
    Maybe we should institute a requirement than any frequent poster to this forum be teamed up with a prolific builder on the buddy system. Sort of like various alcoholic's groups have. Someone who can call and tell us to step back for a moment and go cut something out.

My only saving grace these days is that my tastes run to the obscure enough that you can actually see a stopping spot in research. The Pegas that I just did is poorly documented even on Russian sites. I DID make up for it by over-researching the colour scheme (3-tone camo as laid out by VVS regs in June 1943)
    My current next project is a Boeing B9. Oddly enough I've gathered more information on it for the purpose of modelling it than Boeing has in their historical archives.(Kinda sad that)

Oh and extra points for anyone who can identify what aircraft carried the squadron insignia in my avatar<G>

9. gera

gera Member

L6/40: Fiat Ansaldo built the vehicle the vehicle in the 1930s The 1st prototype was completed in 1936 with 2 8 mm Breda MGs and the other had a 37 mm in the turret and an 8 mm Breda MG coaxial. The final production version was built in 1939 and had a 20 mm in the turret. Bolted and riveted construction. The driver sat on the right. The turret was manually turned and the commander could enter through the turret roof or a door in the right side of the hull. The drive sprocket was in the front and idler in the rear.
    The Italian Army ordered 283 and these were delivered between 1941 and 1942.
    First units were cavalry and then later Bersaglieri. Used in Africa, Russia, Greece, France, and Italy.
    Flamethrower: Had 20mm replaced by flamethrower. Had 44 gallons of flame liquid. May not have seen action.

The model can be gotten for about US$ 5.00 from Joseph at Spinshop in Prague.
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Ancient books

Would I steal the years from your life.

I wonder if you know of any good sites wher I can find some pictures of ship weathering. preferably in colour ?

Take your point about the pound coin young man :lol:

11. Maurice

Maurice Member

'fraid I'm not much cop at the arty tarty weathering stuff, I want rust, I leave it out in the rain, I want mud, I have a yard full.
    But there must be dozens of people 'round here into that sort of thing like.