History channel Tonight!!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Glow Train Catastrophe (2008 )

Megadisasters 10:00 PM EDT

Accidents involving trains carrying dangerous cargo.....

Biased turkey

Damn. I'll mis that one.
The stupid videotron cable company here in Montreal ( Eh ) charge us some extra fee to subscribe to the history channel.
Instead they prefer us to swallow the free ( as in beer ) crap from CNN.
Go figure.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

Jacques

brakie

I didn't watch all of the show but,I notice they pointed out some mega bad derailments and said nothing about the millions of miles of safe transportation the rails give nor did they mention the mega truck accidents that includes chemical fires.
I saw the show as a antinuclear rail shipment scare tactic.Then of course the "concerned NIMBYS" will only add fuel to the fire because of their property resale value..After all who wants to buy a overinflated price house next to a rail line that sees these "glow-trains" roll by?

Russ Bellinis

I didn't watch all of the show but,I notice they pointed out some mega bad derailments and said nothing about the millions of miles of safe transportation the rails give nor did they mention the mega truck accidents that includes chemical fires.
I saw the show as a antinuclear rail shipment scare tactic.Then of course the "concerned NIMBYS" will only add fuel to the fire because of their property resale value..After all who wants to buy a overinflated price house next to a rail line that sees these "glow-trains" roll by?

When was the last time you saw anything that could be called "balanced coverage" on any channel on television?

Jim Krause

Dull, safe and routine doesn't sell. Nobody ever asks me about all of the safe avaition that I've dealt with, just " why do so many planes crash? Answer-- Because there are not that many crashes.

I especially liked the hypothetical scenario about the train that was behind schedule and the engineer was speeding to make up time, causing a wreck. It's misinformation like this that gets me all riled up about the media. Freight trains are not scheduled anymore, and engineers don't speed to make up time. I never once met an engineer that was willing to risk his career and his familys livelyhood to "make up" time. That is some atiquated thinking from the ages of old railroad lore, and it doesn't fly in todays modern (ie: litigious) society.

If you want to run a biased program fine but don't portray railroaders as irresponsible "cowboys" who would break the operating rules and risk the lives of others for personal gain.

Dave

Mountain Man

That's because no one is going to watch a one hour program about safe travel. People love disasters and that makes good ratings. Even the National Geographic Channel runs a regular program titled Seconds To Disaster.

Do you really thing NASCAR fans go to the races to watch a guy drive five hundred miles at breakneck speed without a single incident or problem? They go there to watch stuff crash and burn.

Humans are very strange critters. :rolleyes:

I went to school to learn how the media worked. Trust me, it's much worse than you know.
Michael

I'm assuming you mean the MEDIA is much worse than we know. As far as railroading is concerned I (and several others on this board) am an insider and have been there done that in T&E service and know that railroading is much safer than the media wants us to know.

Those crashes are so much more entertaining when 1 or more Hendricks cars are involved...:mrgreen:

And yes, sorry to say that means Little E too. I can't BELIEVE he joined Hendricks...:curse:

Dave

GO KASEY!