History and me

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Ashrunner, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

This really has nothing to do with card modeling, but I did want to pass it on to those inclined to this sort of thing.

As most people know, I retired from the Air Force in 1992. My last assignment was at Clark AB which was destroyed by the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. There is a webpage of some of those last days of the base featuring me (since I provided the photos for the page) at http://zcap.freeyellow.com/Wrath/afury.html . Yes...that's a slimmer, meaner me in the photos.

Well, the person who put up the webpage has also written a book. It's almost an oral history of the base, as he tells the story of the largest U.S. overseas installation through the stories of those who were stationed there from early in the 20th Century to the end. The book is titled "GI Joe Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and authored by Tom Utts. The best part of the book is it features my story in print beginning at the bottom of page 251, in the section titled Eruption Vet. My story starts there and is continued off and on to the end.

The book is a good read and will provide anyone who reads it a good idea of what life was like in The P.I. for servicemen. I will say this, it was written by a former military member and uses the words of servicemen without censorship.

If you're interested the book is available through Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Doesnt-Li...1023308?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175322411&sr=8-1 and through Barnes & Noble at http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...oe doesn't live here anymore&z=y&cds2Pid=9481

The preceding message is in no way an endorsement for anythi...wait...it is an endorsement! Truthfully...it is a good read.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, that had to be an awesome experience!
    I had sometimes wondered about the origin of your user name but never really thought to ask. I certainly understand it now!
    That's a very captivating web page and I was enthralled from beginning to end!
    I remember when that happened. I was living in Perryville Md., working as a Kitchen Designer and still a bachelor, at the time.
    It's so hard to believe how long ago that was and how fast the time has gone by!

I just might have to order me a copy of that book. It would make a great "coffee table book"!

3. Texman

Texman Guest

Yes, that does make some sense now. Thanks Ash!

4. Awesome story!, thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Billy
  5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow, what an experience! Thanks for the link and the story!

6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I was in the US Navy and visited Subic Bay numerous times and Manilla a few times while on WestPacs. Never did make it to Clark. The books sounds quite interesting, I'll have to give it a try.:)
  7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Most veterans I meet still have that " mean" left inside. I understand.
    You, Ashrunner, don't seem to have any mean left...(or he's hidden very well...) 8v)

I did not do wartime service, and my term was very short.
    But I sure do appreciate what you Boys do for us...be proud to scrap right beside you...

Thanx for sharing this with us.
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Sounds great! I was Army, but my son is in the Air Force. Might just have to buy thsat book for him (after I test read it of course)
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I still got that "mean" in me, but this site, card modeling and my photography helps me keep it under control. Plus my friends understand me and let "vent" when I need to and don't hold it against me. Of course, those who didn't understand ain't friends no more 8v)

I do hope those of you who do purchase and read the book enjoy it. The time was, to me, a fun time of my life even with volcano, but my story at Clark actually starts just before the assassinations, through the earthquake, the Billy Joel visit (who I spent the day with) then the volcano. It was the best assignment in my entire career...and the funnest.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ok ... your story wins.

"Yeah I retired from my job. I had no choice because the office was destroyed by a Volcano... you know, the usual reasons for retiring"

11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Yep, beats the hell out of the usual, "My base was closed by the beancounters".

As was the fate of the late great 1st Canadian Air Division.
  12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

You're not far from the truth on this office thing. My actual office on base literally was destroyed by the eruption. When the "big one" occurred, we were all sent 10 miles east to the base of another volcano to sit out Pinatubo. When we returned to the base, a lot of roofs had collapsed due to the weight of the ash mixed with the rain from Super Typhoon Yunya which hit the same day the mountain blew. In the building where I worked were four other offices. Every office was okay, except where I worked. Our roof had collapsed letting in ash and rain which turned to mud on our computer systems. I was ordered to salvage what I could in regards to the computers. I found nothing in working condition. Then I was ordered to get a computer up and running no matter what it took. Sure did love kicking in doors and breaking into those empty offices looking for working computers...hehehe.
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Just goes to show............ we never know who we are associating with:grin: Heroes are always among us, they just never let us know, only occasionally. (unfortunately)

Mean streak.........Ash.........noway! Just probably grumpy and misunderstood like the rest of us.:roll:

I for one and glad you were 10 miles away, we would not have the great models you have put out for us LOB (Loyal Order of Buffaloes) Oh Grand Poobah!

Thanks for letting us know! I remember the incident, now I know someone who was there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.