Historic accuracy and research resources?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by iis612, Jan 13, 2007.

1. iis612

iis612 Member

I am having a bit of a hard time researching my transition era layout that will be centered around C&NW and the Chicago Stockyards of the late 40's.
    If anyone is interested in sharing some internet links, I will gladly post all that I have.
    I would lead out and do so, but I am in a bit of a time crunch.
  2. railohio

railohio Active Member

What sources have you checked? If you're just searching the Internet you'll come up with a whole lot of nothing. Have you even used railroad and regional historical societies, period newspapers, or any books? There is a great wealth of information out there and those who think it's all on the Internet will definitely miss out.
  3. iis612

iis612 Member

I have located the following links that provide some historic information:

I agree that there is a wealth of information available in books, historic societies, museums, newspapers, etc. However, that does not mean that the internet is not a viable source.
    I have been able to locate mounds of information regarding the Chicago and Omaha stock yards, but I did not include the links here because they aren' needed.
  4. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Wikipedia, would be one reference source that I would look into. BTW welcome to the Gauge iis612 !!!
  5. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

:thumb: welcome fellow CNW modeler!:thumb:
  6. iis612

iis612 Member

Thanks for the welcome :wave:
    I have looked at Wikipedia and have found some information that is useful, but for whatever reason I didn't bookmark it. I will do that though.
  7. iis612

iis612 Member

8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Have you joined the CNW Historical Society? Often times the railroad historical society for the railroasd that you model will be among the best resources for historical info.
  9. iis612

iis612 Member

I considered doing that until I looked into it. I gain nothing exceptional by joining except an invitation to a yearly event (that I most likely couldn't or wouldn't attend), and a quarterly publication.
    All of the archived history information they have is available to the public at the DeKalb Public library, or through request to the curator.
  10. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I think brian has a point - the internet is great for some things, but less than perfect for others. The same goes for purchasing things - ebay is great but not always the best deal. I suggest you see what is in the DeKalb public library. I know for my modeling interests, there is a great, and complete book available at my local library. That information is nonexistent on the internet.