Hindenburg LZ 129

RocketmanTan

With classes finally over, I've decided to take some time off for myself and have temporarily done away with a one-model-every-friday schedule that I've been trying to keep to. It's actually quite liberating, since now I can do whatever model design I want, and make it as detailed as I like.

Therefore, I've decided to make a serious attempt at a model that has always been a major challenge for me - more or less my own white whale - that's been rotting in my computer's development hell for at least two years now: The Hindenburg. But, with a relatively-new drawing program as well as having finally worked out the problems I've had before, I've managed to make significant headway! In fact, I have just a little less than half the ship drawn out.

So, as always, enjoy the progress pics:

LGPnf.png

E7nnE.png

gBog3.png

Bhelliom

New airship models are always welcome! Now, I usually hate it when I see people do this, but now I find myself doing it, before a design is even finished, asking for another one. If I'm not mstaken, the dimensions of the Graf Zeppelin II are very close, if not the same as Hindenberg's. Maybe modify the necessary bits as you go, and release both?

Either way, i'll be watching with great interest.

Scott K.

RocketmanTan

New airship models are always welcome! Now, I usually hate it when I see people do this, but now I find myself doing it, before a design is even finished, asking for another one. If I'm not mstaken, the dimensions of the Graf Zeppelin II are very close, if not the same as Hindenberg's. Maybe modify the necessary bits as you go, and release both?

Either way, i'll be watching with great interest.

Scott K.

I've actually been designing this with the Graf Zep II in mind - I also plan to include "markings" for other airships of the type, including the Hindenburg III from the "Sky Captain" film as well as the "Adolf Hitler", Goebbels' pathetic suggestion for an alternate ship name.

RocketmanTan

And the basic parts are done! Now just to draw up parts for the Graf Zep and all the other permutations of the ship class, write an essay or two on the airship, draw the cover page...

anyways, have a pic of the last set of parts:

idZwH.png

Z

Zathros

I have a love affair with rigid airships too. I loved that movie, "Sky Captain", and the scene of the blimp docking on the Empire State building was the first I had scene in any movie! Making you could design a mooring mast. The models look great when you see a diorama, with the model moored to a mast. Great!!

Don't forget this pod, which collected all the frequencies used by the allies in WWII, it cold be dropped really far down!

This link has the best line drawings: http://www.highriskadventures.com/airships/lz130/

.PDF of Vector drawing attached at bottom of page.

Some samples:
LZ130.1-200_Page_022.jpg

AS2AConstructorsblueprintforaGerman.jpg

Graff Zeppelin Interior:
Dirigeable_Graf_Zeppelin_interieur.jpg

German Battleship Dreadnaught:
ZepCarrierModel.jpg

Not sure what this pic referred to, but I found it interesting.

graf-zeppelin-deckplan011a.jpg

The Kalakala, (a real ship) http://www.kalakala.org/:
dd9b5ad72521cb8cc41b8c063e8ea17f-orig

db0f41f6763c492feee19506db6613d4-orig

[YOUTUBE]_lGA_x31yJU[/YOUTUBE]

Had to throw this in:

2c282f0e64c455146e456883da7cb782-orig

USS Los Angeles:
general_113739013.jpg

Attachments

• Graff Zepplin.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 102

RocketmanTan

I have a love affair with rigid airships too. I loved that movie, "Sky Captain", and the scene of the blimp docking on the Empire State building was the first I had scene in any movie! Making you could design a mooring mast. The models look great when you see a diorama, with the model moored to a mast. Great!!

Don't forget this pod, which collected all the frequencies used by the allies in WWII, it cold be dropped really far down!

This link has the best line drawings: http://www.highriskadventures.com/airships/lz130/

.PDF of Vector drawing attached at bottom of page.

Some samples:
LZ130.1-200_Page_022.jpg

AS2AConstructorsblueprintforaGerman.jpg

Graff Zeppelin Interior:
Dirigeable_Graf_Zeppelin_interieur.jpg

German Battleship Dreadnaught:
ZepCarrierModel.jpg

Not sure what this pic referred to, but I found it interesting.

graf-zeppelin-deckplan011a.jpg

The Kalakala, (a real ship) http://www.kalakala.org/:
dd9b5ad72521cb8cc41b8c063e8ea17f-orig

db0f41f6763c492feee19506db6613d4-orig

[YOUTUBE]_lGA_x31yJU[/YOUTUBE]

Had to throw this in:

2c282f0e64c455146e456883da7cb782-orig

USS Los Angeles:
general_113739013.jpg

Once again you come to save the day! I was using the drawings by the same guy for the Hindenburg, but I didn't know he did the Graf Zep as well! Just an interesting tidbit, a few of those gondola images are actually from the Graf Zeppelin I, which held all of her passengers in the gondola below. The arrangements were almost like those of a passenger train, as opposed to a seagoing vessel.

--

Bulkheads are done - still gotta do the accessories, instructions, and cover page:

bSXhI.png

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Airships in my mind...

I have also shared a great love for these gentle giants.

I have particularly loved the United Sates series, especally the Akron and Macon. I had a nice foil-paper mode of the Macon years ago, but before I could build it it was damaged in a flood. Shame. It was a nice kit with a mini-Sparrow Hawk that could be used for the hangar [these craft were flying aircraft carriers].

Looking forward to your progress on this one...

The DC

Alas and alack, ALL my lighter than air books got water damaged when my water bed broke. Love those airships. 'Bout 90 miles from where I live are the two hangers for the Akron and Macon (or is it only one?) in Sunnyvale California. There is some talk of tearing it/them down due to no money for restoration.

Looking forward to seeing the completed model Rocketman. Thanks Zathros for all the pictures and drawings. Fell in love with these not always so gentle giants back in my teens. (Say not always because of the use in WWI.) Can only imagine what it was like to drift among the clouds in one. Sigh......

RocketmanTan

Wow, this really is development hell - even after almost four years of rotting in the pipeline, I still get sidetracked. First, a crippling virus that causes me to replace my OS, and that comes right before a vacation of sorts on nearby New Jersey (not to mention a small fire that occurred in the venue my friends and I were at today :mrgreen:)

But, I've finally managed to get everything back on track, and I now have alternate ship parts!

826Vt.png

EDIT: actually, that small fire in the Jersey venue today...Hindenburg...well, that's strangely co-incidental. :rolleyes:

RocketmanTan

Welp, today I learned that a new operating system means that I can't use the old pdf converter that I had before. So, what was once a two-step process has now become a 30-minute long four step process. Here's the last step that I kept screwing up:
m0eSz.png

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Candid reply...

I can see part of your problem; its not the OS, it is the MESS from your drooling on the keyboard.

Far be it from me to ever make a inter-species insensitive comment, such as the dangers associated with canine hair in keyboards, or to be so politically incorrect to suggest that drooling on your computer might result in arching, after all, what is physically real is far less important than hoe someone feels about physics, but you may at least consider clipping the nails to avoid fat-pawing. Eight out of ten vets [animal doctors that is...I'm not courting flaming from former service personnel wall1] do note that modern keyboards do not respond well to repeated canine nails. Consider doggy gloves?

sign1

All jesting aside, I like the new parts! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!:inw:

The DC

RocketmanTan

I can see part of your problem; its not the OS, it is the MESS from your drooling on the keyboard.

Far be it from me to ever make a inter-species insensitive comment, such as the dangers associated with canine hair in keyboards, or to be so politically incorrect to suggest that drooling on your computer might result in arching, after all, what is physically real is far less important than hoe someone feels about physics, but you may at least consider clipping the nails to avoid fat-pawing. Eight out of ten vets [animal doctors that is...I'm not courting flaming from former service personnel wall1] do note that modern keyboards do not respond well to repeated canine nails. Consider doggy gloves?

sign1

All jesting aside, I like the new parts! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!:inw:

The DC

sign1

Sorry for the terrible build quality - paws and drool don't go well together!

Lux8F.jpg

Bengt F

Hindenburg LZ-129 and Graf Zeppelin II LZ-130

That is a fantastic model, RocketmanTan!

Or should I say models? This gives one an opportunity to build the amazing second Graf Zeppelin II - or LZ-130 - which the idiot and junkie Goering ordered to be scrapped and destroyed when it was almost completed, along with the slender and beautiful LZ-127 - the original Graf Zeppelin. The ship that was so loved and proven all over the seas, and which had flown around the World in 1929. It was reported that captain Eckener cried at the time. The new LZ-130 with it's forward propellers and fine streamlined engine gondolas - what a joy to build her. That's a first.

The detailing is superb. You must have spent many hours researching the shapes and the look of the original ship. I look forward very much to building the LZ-130 - the proud ship that should have been, with the historically correct swastikas, no matter what you think of the screwed-up nazi ideology.

Thanks, Rocketman!
Bengt in Stockholm :thumb:

Z

Zathros

That really is one Heckuva model. Rocketmantan makes some awesome models.

All the Nazi's were idiots. I have had many elderly friends who were in the Wehrmacht, they are gone now, they hated the Nazi's. Why wouldn't they, they made them fight a losing war while leaving their families and friends to get blown into oblivion. Too bad there are still people calling themselves Nazi's around.

These models are good to have around. They make people think. :)