Highly Detailed Retractable Landing Gear?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by xyberz, Jan 16, 2007.

1. xyberz

xyberz Member

I'm wondering if there's any model jet out there that has a highly detailed retractable landing gear?

Hopefully it's free so I can acquire it. :grin: :twisted:
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

Are you looking for a landing gear that actually retracts, or just detailed retractable gear? The problem with gear that retracts, is that there's usually a lot more going on with landing gear than simply swinging up into the wing. The struts extend on some aircraft...on others they extend, then as the gear closes, a shrink mechanism pulls the strut in again. Doors are attached to the struts through a variety of different linkages. Very few are actually attached directly to the strut. I've never seen a model with retractable gear that accurately portrays the prototype. The mechanisms would have to be very small, and hence quite weak. It's kind of like with plastic kits: Back when I was a kid, the really deluxe kits had all kinds of moveable features, such as ailerons, wingfolds, retractable gear, etc. the trade off was that the models were somewhat clunky in appearance, as the beefed up hinges and such couldn't be made to scale.

Kancho and others have made models with some well done moveable surfaces, but I've not seen anything, especially free, that fits your request.
  3. xyberz

xyberz Member

Hmmm...Never thought there were so many different variations of landing gears.

Well I don't mind scaling the model up to ensure that there is enough rigidity to allow proper operation of the landing gear.
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Or maybe you could make a landing gear on its own, fully operational. That'll sure look nice.