High wheel mower w/ 24' cut...

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by shaygetz, Jul 10, 2004.

1. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

In past posts I've received favorable comments on my mower collection and requests for how it's done.

Attached Files:

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

While this one is a high wheel model, the principles are the same. Gather some lawn mower looking parts from the scrap box...

Attached Files:

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Cut a deck, a scale 4" wider and 6-8" longer than the cutting width of the mower you're modeling. Shape the wheel recesses keeping in mind a discharge chute. The axle is for the high rear wheels and is not necessary for a standard mower.

Attached Files:

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Mount the rear wheels like so...

Attached Files:

5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The front wheels are thinly sliced sprue mounted like so...

Attached Files:

6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The engine is a highly modified fire hydrant.

Attached Files:

7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Most mowers made in the last ten years have ergonomically correct push bars. This one's from brass wire...

Attached Files:

8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

A little paint, some gas, a couple o' pulls and it's off to the weeds...

Attached Files:

9. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

That is just the coolest thing!! :eek: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

....I dare you to try to make a snowmobile. :p
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Some size perspective compared to a dime. Use a gel type Crazy glue, it just works faster and is stronger. The rider is just a variation that requires the body to be built from layered styrene. All other principles are the same. Now there's just no excuse for your LPBs to dodge their lawn chores ;)

Attached Files:

11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, Steve. Actually been wanting to do a snowmobile. Gimme a pic and some basic overall dimensions and you're on :thumb:
  12. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

I Guess I'm Not Really Canadian...

...As I don't have one in the garage! What's wrong with me? I'll bet that someone can help out, however. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a good info source.
  13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

How about a Craftsman tool chest with SAE and Metric wrenckes? :thumb: Fred
  14. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Since I joined here, you never cease to amaze me, Shaygetz--:thumb::thumb::thumb:
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Isn't a Canadian without a snowmobile like a Southern Boy without a pickup truck? :rolleyes: :p

Blackhawks, Fred, Blackhawks...I use Craftsman for crab pot anchors ;)

Thanks, Brian.
  16. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Shaygetz, you just construct the best lawn mowers I ever saw:

1. They look just great, colorful, inviting - any LPB must feel the urge to go and mow the lawn (what else?... :D) at once
    2. They are cheap to build - and so you have one more method to get rid of the junk lying around in the layout room.
    3. And best of all: They are absolutely noise-free! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

--> If I only could convince you to build one more colorful, cheap, and NOISELESS lawn mower for my neighbor, who LOVES to cut his grass (about 10x15 ft) at least two hours every Saturday afternoon! :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :curse:

PS: Did I already mention that your mowers are little jewels? Fantastic precision work! :cool: :cool: :cool:
  17. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  18. dcfxq

dcfxq Member

"The engine is a highly modified fire hydrant."

Have you ever had a problem with n-scale dogs who recognized the orgin of the mower's motor? :D

19. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

That's great shaygetz, they are so "cute"! LOL. Looks to me like another addition to the academy!?

20. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

shaygetz you never cease to amaze me! Great work!