Hi! New Here. My Layout

Chrisdapos

Okay....soo....some good things and some bad things. First the good. I got the SD60M in the new BNSF paint. The thing is gorgeous, I will post pics a little later. The bad, I'm trying to do the number boards for the 6867 SD40-2. Ive tried following the Microscale directions, but it does not seem to be working out...does anyone have suggestions on how to put decals onto the number boards? Thanks!!!

Hi Chrisdapos,

The thing with Microscale decals is that they do not stick to bare plastic. It will only stick to surfaces such as glossy enamel or clearcoat.

I would use a sable brush and brush on a layer of Testors Glosscote or Floquil Gloss Finish onto the face of the number board so the Microscale decal can stick to it. After the glosscote cures for a day, apply the decals using Microsol and Microset, then seal them up by spraying on another coat of Glosscote or Gloss Finish.

Note however that the Microscale decals are rather opaque, so they are not particularly good for lit numberboards (if you plan to install lighting inside the boards).

Hope this helps!

Chrisdapos

Will clear nail polish work? I want to try and do it tonight, but if it won't, I can wait till tomorrow if needed. So it turns out the GP60M doesnt work :(. Something with the moter, so that goes back to the LHS tomorrow. I tryed to put the shell back on my SW1500, but it is not easily going back on...any suggestions about that? Thanks!!!!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I don't think nail polish is a good idea. I'm not sure how it will react to the plastic. if you are going to the hobby shop, you might as well get gloss coat.

if your brand SW1500 is athearn, then all you need to do is snap the hood back on, no trouble!

Chrisdapos

Thanks for looking at these.
*Notice there is a downward angle from the back to the forward.
*This is the back, notice the gap between the chasis and the shell.
*This is the front, no gap between shell and chasis.

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 56