Hi,new guy here

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Rocco13, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocco13

    Rocco13 New Member

    I have recently ran upon the forums here at Zealot and became hooked on the idea of starting paper modeling as a new hobby. I have spent hours reading and viewing photos. It is incredible the work that you men and woman do. I will most likely ask tons of questions ,just let me know when I become annoying. Heres a quick one. I have seen the reference to laminating. Does the paper need to be laminated with plastic? I am also in the market for a new printer,any suggestions? Want to be under $150.00 if possible. Thank you,Rocco
  2. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    Welcome to the board. :wave:

    Laminating usually means glueing together multiple layers of cardstock to get to required thickness. Backing boards for pads of paper are also used, as is dry cereal boxes. Actually about any kind of paper/cardstock/cardboard is used. Sometimes the printed parts are laminated onto other pieces of stock, sometimes blank forms are laminated to get a stiffer and thicker piece, like formers for aircracft fuselages and ship's hulls.

    As to printer, I have no particular recommendation. One thing to keep in mind though is the cost of ink.
  3. Rocco13

    Rocco13 New Member

    Thank you for the quick reply,I do apreciate it. What paper is recommended for printing models? Does all paper need to be laminated? Is there a section in the forums that shows memeber workspaces and tool suggestions?
  4. Soaring

    Soaring Middle School Student

    HI Rocco! Warm welcome from the folks and Zealot!

    As for your question,....

    There is a Techniques forum in the index where you'll find TONS of ideas and helpful tips to make models.

    Printed paper depends on size of build, and layers if needed. I personally go with 148gsm, but hey, that's me :D
  5. CK Styles

    CK Styles Senior Member

    Welcome, Rocco. I am sure you will find lots of great tips and tutorials here! This is the best place on the web to get started. On a printer note, do not by a DELL as they will only use DELL printer cartridges, which translates to high cost (trust me, I know, lol).

    Not all paper needs to be laminated. It is really to either strengthen certain areas as mentioned earlier. It is also used to "mask" the white, unprinted side of the paper.

    My personal choice for paper is around 84 - 110 lb stock. Soaring put it well, that's just me! You'll find what works best for you. I will say this, rolling tubes is a whole lot easier with a lighter card stock (and a humid environment, again, that's just me)!!!
  6. Jim Nunn

    Jim Nunn Member


    First welcome to the forum you will soon find this to be a great place to be a member of.

    Laminating, most commercial models and a lot of the freebees require that you laminate the printed part to a thicker backing stock. Usually the backing stock is 0.5 (0.020 inches) or 1 mm thick (0.040 inches). You will need to interpolate the instructions to determine the thickness. The most common indicator is two asterisks (**) for 1 mm and one (*) for 0,5mm next to the part number.
    Laminating the parts is done to strengthen the model. I should add that the better models are very precise and when it calls out for 1 mm it had better be 1 mm. Very often if the part is too thick or too thin it will affect the fit of other parts farther in the assembly. A lot of us laminate 67 lb card stock to make the thicker backing stock. Two 67 lb sheets make 0.5 mm and four make 1 mm backing stock. Use a non-water base glue to make your own stock. 3M Super 77 spray contact cement is the best IMHO ($10 for a large can at Home depot). I have tried others and I always come back to the 3M product. Other modelers use cereal cartons, the card stock in new shirts and any thing else you can find that is thick enough. A side note UPS used to have a very nice mailing carton that was 1.5 mm thick.

    I’ll leave the printer debate to others because I mostly build commercial kits however I have used a HP 7660 for over two years and have only replaced the Inks twice. Just get a good photo quality printer and make sure that it can handle 67 lb card stock.

    Jim Nunn
  7. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    I generally use three types of paper when making models. Every day inkjet paper that has 24 lb on the package, 67 lb /175 gsm cover, and 110 lb/199 gsm cardsock. I use what ever I can find to laminate the pages, like the stuff mentioned in my first post and as others have mentioned. In fact I find myself constantly evaluating paper material for it usefulness in making paper models. It makes walking through stores quite intersting.
    "Hey, that will work good for a backer"
    "Hey, that will make some good stuff for a ship frame"

    Look in the Tips and Techniques and Tools of the Trade sections to get some good information.
  8. Rocco13

    Rocco13 New Member

    Once again thank you, Im a little weary from staying up late reading the posts but Im going to head out and purchase my new printer,paper and various other tools and supplies I have read about. I may go with a Canon printer for the fact that I just purchased a new canon xsi and some lenses. But also thinking HP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page