Hi, I'm new

Bob Collins

Totally cool. Great website too. I'll have to do more study when I have some time. Thanks for all the info on the EBT.

Bob

Tyson Rayles

Bob Collins your wish is granted, there were quite a few narrow gauge R.R.'s in New England. Maine seemed to have the most with the Sandy River and Rangely Lakes or something like that being the most well known. There was also one in the Washington D.C. area and a ton of small ones all up and down the east coast. There is even one around Mickey Mouse World in central Fla. that is being restored for tourist excursions ( It's not connected to Disney World). Anybody here good at modeling alligators?????:D

RI541

George,
woo woooo chugga chugga woo wooooooo:D :D ,

Got some "happy packages" from Ebay today, Dont tell Bob cause he might get jealous:) :D :D :) but I got a RI mouse pad and a RI Rockets card ( like a base ball card ) a cross stitch with trains on it for the wifey, then destroyed some of my lay-out.:D :D

Well supper time goto go

Shane

BillD53A

Tyson, I wasnt aware of a narrow gauge line in Florida...there is a standard gauge line that operates a daily steam train to Mt Dora, from Orlando. I have exactly one (1) alligator on my layout...it was some kind of Dungeons and Dragons monster or something, cast in pewter. Scales out to 16 feet log...kinda big...the one in the pond down the street is about 7 or 8 feet. I'm open for suggestions on how to model one, decent palm trees that dont cost a fortune, too...Bill

Pooh Bah
There were lots of 2 foot gauge railrods in Maine; they now have some of them back (around Portland I think) that were running on the Edaville in Massychewsetts.

Edaville would be a great model. Circular track around the cranberry bogs, cutout cardboard buildings, standard guage stuff like the Maine Zephyr.

How would you model cranberry bogs? and how would you model them in harvest season when they're flooded?

Tyson Rayles

BillD you are correct. My step mother lives in Cocoa and sent me the news article on the railroad by Mt. Dora, I went and dug it out and it is standard gauge. There were (no longer are) narrow gauge R.R.'s in the central and panhandle part of the state that handled mainly lumber and turpentine. 16 ft. isn't unrealilistic for gators. Back in the early part of the century (before they were almost hunted out) they got up to 22 or so ft., now 16 ft. is a big un' but not unheard of. There was a extensive article on palm trees in MR a few years ago as well as cypress trees and knees and spanish moss. Gators are about the only thing I miss since I moved from Fla.

Drew1125

Hello again, PennRR's!
Well, this thread should give you a pretty good idea what this forum is like, & it's a good example of what I like about it.
I've been on other forums where the moderators are like the "conversation police", & if you begin to stray from the topic, they're quick to give you a good chewing out!:mad:
But this place is truly like a club meeting, where a couple of guys will go off, & talk about the Rock Island, & maybe a couple more will go off, & talk about their favorite narrow gauge line, or steamer, or childhood memory...& for the most part, everybody's OK with that. There might be a little ribbing from time to time, but it's usually in good fun.
I feel like I've met some really good train buddies here, & they have become a valuable part of the hobby for me.
So you've got HO & N scale on one layout...a true multi-scaler!:cool: I think you're going to fit in just fine around here, my friend!
I'll tell you a little about me...I have a little free-lance N scale switching layout, (click on the www tab at the bottom of my posts to see it) & I'm also building a small 4x6 HO layout for my daughter's Harry Potter train set.

Oh I know Charlie, those moderators are the nastiest people that can irritate the hell out of you for going off topic, hell even one threatened to beat me up and they kicked me off cause I retaliated.

So you've got HO & N scale on one layout...a true multi-scaler! I think you're going to fit in just fine around here, my friend!

Yup thats true, sometimes I switch from HO to N and back to HO after spending some time with both I just lay back and relax to take a break from it. I'm glad I found the right site where the moderators aint a problem and where they dont make threats to anyone, I hate it when they do that, then they make you feel bad or some crap like that.

I do own a Rivarossi HO Big Boy, right now my collection is going to start off with that loco then later it'll grow and grow til I got everything from HO to N. I plan to build a 10 1/2 ft X 7 1/2 ft layout, butI got to look for a place to rent where theres a big basement.

I heard that the Harry Potter train is a good train to run, though I'm not really into books or the movie. Thats cool that your building a small layout for your daughter, she'll learn valuable resources from model RR. I will check out your site ASAP. :cool:

Gary Pfeil

In regards to modeling gators, I remember some time back reading a short article about a model show where someone had modeled a scene including some gators, he used some type of lizard which, according to the article, looked like a miniature gator. The reason the article sticks in my memory is that apparently some animal rights nut walked by and when he saw it went ballistic. The module had to be removed from the show! The modeler as I recall had taken the lizards (dead, I presume) and mounted them on a prepainted base and poured resin so most of the body was submerged. There was no photo but I would imagine it could be quite realistic. Just be careful who you invite over!

Gary

BillD53A

I've heard about the lizards...I don't think I would go that far. They are the critters that pet stores sell as 'chameleons' ,They are way too big to be used for gators, and they dont really look like one. I wouldnt want any embedded in resin on my layout. Besides they eat mosquitoes..they can have the run of my house!
The Florida Southern was a 3 foot gauge line that came as far south as Punta Gorda, it was standard gauged around 1905.
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I HATE vegetables!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I drop three little letters in a thread (EBT), and suddenly it's up to three pages long !
According to Hilton's "American Narrow Gauge Railroads" there was narrow gauge in ALL the states. There was even a narrow gauge line that belonged to the Chicago & Northwestern.

Drew1125

There were no fewer than 31 narrow gauge lines in my home state of Ky.
Among them were the Mountain Central Ry, the Licking River RR, Big Woods Red River & Lombard RR, Ky Northern RR, Louisville Harrods Creek & Westport RR, & many others.
There were several with rather odd gauges, like the Bull's Eye Spring RR with a 42 1/2" gauge, the DeKoven Coal Road at 44 1/2", & the Lexington & Carter County Mining Co. RR at 44"
The last narrow gauge line in Ky was the Ky Rock & Asphalt Co. RR (36") which was abandoned in 1946.

Bob Collins

Pete;

Unless I have lost my mind completely I have been along the CNW narrow gauge that used to run along the northern boundary of Nebraska out to near Chadron where it turned north into the Black Hill of South Dakota.

That was 50 years ago. I can remember being out in that area one summer and eating breakfast in the local hotel in Long Pine when the train pulled in from the east and folks got off and came into the hotel for breakfast! I actually don't remember what class of engine it was, I'd probably bet a 2-8-0, or maybe a 2-6-0, something of that relative size.

A couple of years ago I was up in that part of the world and noticed that part of the right of way had been torn up where it ran through Long Pine and Valentine, but was still in operation out at Rushville where it still continued to Chadron and up into South Dakota. I saw a diesel that looked like an F-3 or 7 or something that I think of as primarly a passenger engine type, pulling a consists of grain cars through Rushville.

Bob

Long Pine still has a great place to trout fish, which is why I was up there in the 50's