Hi from the UK

Myristica

Hi

I am very very new to the world of papercraft; not even finished my first project yet.

Not really being sure of where to start, I selected something (that looked simple) from the 'big globe' website. It is one of the drones from the 'Silent Running' movie.

I have been a nurse for many years and so feel pretty confident with a pair of scissors and a sharp knife :)and just love the therapeutic aspect of cutting and gluing things together. Definitely looking forward to attempting some of the more challenging builds as my skills increase.

Anyways, just thought I would say a quick 'Hi!' to all.

Regards
Myristica
20160709_195358.jpg
*work in progress:eek:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Myristica,

welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for introducing yourself and showing us a WIP picture. Looks like you are off to a good start!

The drones are really simple and a good starting point for beginners. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We have many resourceful members here who surely would love to help, myself included ;) .

I work at an old people's home and I can confirm what you say about the therapeutic aspects of our hobby. In addition, papercrafting does not only give you calm and peace but also joy and happiness to the people around you. I often give away selected models to special friends and colleagues. The reactions are always overwhelming; everyone is amazed at what you can do with "just" paper. :)

Take a look around, make yourself comfortable and most importantly: Have fun and enjoy!

RF :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to ZEALOT!! Many Brits here, you will find yourself in good company. That's a very popular model, and a good model to start with. Welcome to Zealot! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot,

You are INDEED in good hands here. All of the members here are very helpful. I see (by the project that you have started with) that you are interested in SCI-FI. There are many members here that are into SCI-FI (myself included). So I hope that you feel at home here.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

I see that you are off to a great start with your project. I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.

Once, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here.

Last edited:

Myristica

Many thanks for the welcome messages.

Well, I completed my first build; not a complete disaster and I'm fairly happy with the result.
It was a good learning experience and I did get to try a few different folding and cutting techniques.

hmmm... the big problem, what should I build next?
I have seen an interesting Hellraiser puzzle box/cube type thing over at 'Deviant' that perhaps looks like a possible.

20160710_202719.jpg 20160711_200644.jpg

Regards
Myristica :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Big Welcome!! Used to live in Suffolk so twice Welcome!! I must say, " your first card model turned out very well "!!
As far as the Hellraiser Puzzle Box, I say, GO FOR IT! It would be a good second project as it requires a good deal of precision to get the pieces to fit well! " as according to Destro2k the person on Deviant making this available.

"you have to be very very precise and careful
i had a lot of problems to get the long faces straight that the two half parts fit together"

But judging from your first model this should not be a problem for you, and you can always count on help and support from the members here!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator

Myristica

Wow!
Many thanks for the links guys; have bookmarked them all.

I am definitely going to start the Hellraiser build, even if it is perhaps beyond my skill level at the moment. I appreciate that the cuts and folds will be very unforgiving and that they will have very little margin for error. Anyways, that's part of the challenge:eek:

I'll start a new (disaster) build thread in the appropriate forum.

hellraiser_lemarchand_puzzle_box_by_destro2k-d7z01uc.jpg
Regards
Myristica.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator