Hi from South Africa!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Loopy, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loopy

Loopy Member

Hi there!

Been lurking for a while after joining the Group, but I think it is time to mingle a bit! I live in Cape Town South Africa, been modelling on-and off since my childhood, mostly in plastic.

Started in RC boats (electric scale) and that is how I came across a posting by Geedubya. I was looking for plans for a LCT to build in plastic card, but now I'm firmly hooked on paper! I thoroughly enjoy the forums, and I'm constantly amazed at what can be created from such a humble source as paper.

I've started by building a racing Hummer from racepaper.de, which is now standing on my monitor at work, where it draws a lot of attention. To get my wife on my side, I've built a Mercedes A160 from streetpaper.de for her, as it is her daily transport (the full size one...). I have opened an account at fiddlersgreen, and bought the WW11 collection, with a view of building the T6 Texan/Harvard for my neighbour, who is an Air Force pilot, and solo'd in SAAF Harvard 7607 nearly 30 years ago.

Time to build is sometimes a problem, with a 6 month old baby in the house, and the added distraction of this site being always open on my pc, as I'm afraid I might miss something!

Long story, but I look forward to many enjoyable hours in your company.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold! Ahhhh, another addict :) wait til the little one starts toddeling and seeing how easy it is to help you "fold" your models into little paper boulders :)
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Hello Loopy, you wont get much chance of modelling, not with a baby in the house!
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Welcome aboard, I've got a repaint of FG's Harvard in RCAF colours that I have to send off to Chip someday, first I have to successfully build the damned thing though. The gear wells on the bloody thing just don't work for me.
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Welcome Loopy! Another country heard from. :) It can be addictive.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Did he say 'LCT'? OOOooo, I can't ....help.....myself....!!

'Hi Guys, my Name is Tim, and I am a chronic starter of projects, and an habitual failure at finishing them....'

I feel better now I have admitted that!

PS welcome loopy!
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

8. Clashster

Clashster Member

Welcome, Loopy! Congrats on getting the wife on your side!! And of course, post some pictures of your build!

9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Welcome aboard Loopy.

I got started with card modeling about a year and a half ago when my son was just over 4. It's the perfect hobby with little ones in the house. I do have a few printed kits I purchased on the shelf, but I usually only go for downloaded models, because even if the little on gets hold of it and destroys the whole thing, well I can always print another and rebuild it.

Have fun!
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

Now that's exciting! My babies are 19 and 21 and I'm still trying to figure out where babies REALLY come from. So far, all I know is that Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, and Teenage Girls are apparently from Way Out There somewhere. Congratulations to you and your lass. Oh, yeah, and welcome to the forum. (Sorry, got carried away there.:-D )

No worries,
  11. okacha

okacha New Member

12. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Yippee!!! Another South African! Hello Loopy! :)
  13. Scorpius

Scorpius New Member

Hello Loopy! A Happy New Year too (another South African pokes his head up above the parapet! :thumb: Is that three of us including Thunderchild?)
    Just got into the whole paper/card thing myself (you haven't seen a paper/card model of a Harvard have you?)
    See you around the site.
  14. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Greets Scorpius! I did come across a US Texan thread somewhere once, But Alas, no Harvards as far as I know. That would be a cool model tho!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.