Hi from Holland

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Billy Leliveld, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello Everybody,
    Since I joined the Cardmodels.net in februari, I didn't take the time to properly introduce myself. So here it comes...
    I'm living in Rotterdam, Holland.
    I'm free-lance art-director and set-builder. Got my own workshop, and live on a tippical Dutch canal-street , I drive a couple of French classic-cars (a Citoen DS, a HY and A 1957 Peugeot 403). And offcourse I like to collect and build cardboardmodels,
    I used to get any cardboardmodel I could lay my hands on, since there is a pile of more then 100 in my cubbord, I'm narrowing it down a bit.
    My special interrest is experimental aircraft ( still looking for a good XB 70)
    At this moment I'm building Dr Zarkov's XF5U 'flying pancake'
    The forum is realy great, In Holland the 'cardboard community'is not that big, a few nerds like me, that's all, although we have a few good designers and publishers, like the guys from Zeist.
    But since we got the WWW there are no boundries, and look how cardboard modeling grew..
    Glad I stumbled into the Cardmodels.net, glad to joined....
    Cheers to y'all.
    Billy Leliveld
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome to Billy in Rotterdam...,

Hi Billy,

Welcome aboard and enjoy yourself. You're right about the www being a boost for cardmodels.

3. Texman

Texman Guest

Welcome Billy!

I was just up in your area last weekend. Took the family over to Keukonhof
    gardens, then up to Zandaam, and hung around Den Hague, the beach, and finally Rotterdam itself! For those who haven't been there, absolutely gorgeous country! Sorry Billy, just my way of saying hello and welcome to the group!!

4. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Welcome to the group Billy.....I think you will enjoy this site alot.....:) :) :) :twisted:
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Groetjes Billy

Welkom op de site.

This coming from the only American I know on the site, who can speak dutch, kinda helps having lived there for 9 years and having parents who are dutch too

6. Mace

Mace Member

Welkom Billy,

Deze site is enorm goed en de mensen die hier komen willen altijd graag helpen. ;)

Well Rick you were spot on. It's nice to see an American who speaks Dutch once in a while. :D

Mace from Alkmaar
  7. LeeO Leng

LeeO Leng New Member

Welkom Billy,

goed te zien dat er meer nerds zijn in nederland die cardmodel'n :D

8. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

HI. I have an XB 70. But do you already have it? the URL on page 1 of the model I have is: www.homepage3.nifty.com/ctri
    I don't know if it is as detailed as you want. It is the only one I have found.

I don't speak the language, but I would like to learn. I have found some music frond Holland/Nederlands I would like to better Understand/translate.

How easy is it for you to find KVK Cds & DVDs where you live??
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

If you are still looking for the XB-70, the only decent model I know of can be found here:

I have the kit and even though it is a 1:96 scale model, it is still large.

I too am drawn to the experimental aircraft. There are enough of them available from various designers to keep me happy for a while. Fiddlersgreen has a few ( www.fiddlersgreen.net ). You'll find them listed under Aircraft/Weird.

Welcome to the site.

10. Thanks to everybody for this nice welcome...
    Thanks Ashrunner, I tryed inmedeatly to order the XB-70,hope they ship to Holland..
    Dank je Ben, ik heb al eerder geprobeerd verder te komen op de site van bouwplatenhobby, maar het lijkt wel of de site niet meer werkt, ik zou graag met lotgenoten in kontakt komen, of een meeting bezoeken, is er ergens nog meer informatie? leuke site, trouwens die van jouw...
  11. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

here comes Phil...late as usual...
    Welcome Billy !!! Have fun, ask questions, and post LOTS of pics of your work.
  12. Hey Ashrunner,guess what the mail brought today?
    A perfect 26 year old cardboard XB-70!
    Thanks for the tip, looking forward to build it, it's big one!
    Cheers, Billy
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

No problem Billy...please post progress photos when you get around to building it. I keep looking at mine and thinking...someday...hehehe

14. Transfers

hello Ashrunner, In some old Thread I read that you lost the red markings of your Meta XB 70, since I've got it, would you like me to scan them for you?
    Bye, Billy
  15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Thanks for the offer Billy. The markings were sent to me by someone else...can't remember who though. (It's an age thang or something like that)

Good luck on the build. Have you started it yet?

16. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Welcome to the group.
  17. drwrist

drwrist New Member

Hi, guys;

I have the XB-70 model that used to be available at http://www.homepage3.nifty.com/ctri . The link appears to be dead. I don't know anything about building card models, yet. But I like the way the external surfaces are not over-laden with lines of rivets that would not be visible at a distance from the aircraft. The only thing that I do not like is that the landing gear is comprised of three boxes with the gear printed on the sides. These boxes are then glued to the bottom of the aircraft. I spent three hours yesterday designing gear doors.

Well, it started with the gear doors. Then, I said "wait, I need to design the inside of the doors" . Then It was "Oops, now I need the gear bay". And I still have not figured out how to build the gear so that it looks reasonable.

And I am not completely happy with the exhaust nozzles. So I am going to start that, next.

So, here I am; I have three hours in the first cardmodel I have ever done. I still have an hour or two to draw up some exhaust parts. And I have not yet cut a single part off the sheet.

Oh. And there are two sets of two parts each on the original pattern who's purpose is still a complete mystery to me. That is because the "instructions" are in Japanese (literally). The script is what is called "Kanji" which my Japanese friend does not read.

But I love this pattern.

If anyone would like me to send the pattern, let me know.

T. D.
  18. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Hi drwist

I had that same model before a hard disk death took it away from me. I didn't like the gear either, so I figured I would build it as a flying model.

Then I found a model I liked. It is here: http://papermodels.net/catalog/shopping_cart.php?sort=5a&page=4

It's a very nice kit and even at 1:96th scale, it is large.

Good luck with your model.
  19. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Welcome! Your contributions here are always welcome!
    Your Canadian friend
  20. drwrist

drwrist New Member

Under-water positions, biting off more than you can chew and questions about piracy

Hi; Ashrunner;

I have two copies of the XB-70 from PMI. I figured that I would build one and carve up the other one to scan for spare and replacement parts. I have not actually even built a cardmodel, yet, so this monster is way over my head.

The free one that we have seemed simple enough that I could manage it. Then I started re-designing. Oy!

I am going to re-do the wings so that the leading edges are not two raw edges glued together. I should wind up with folded leading edges which will allow me to add camber to the wings.

I have found a wealth of information on the web about the original aircraft; technical drawings that yield correct shapes and dimensions as well as photographs with details that I can add to the model.

For grins and chuckles, I added a little FOD here and there. One of my old squadron coffee cups is in one of the wheel bays and I am thinking maybe a screwdriver somewhere in the engine inlet. They won't be visible on the finished model, of course, except possibly as specs. But if somone were to blow up my additions to the pattern, they would see that I left my "mark" in the form of a little aviation whimsy.

A point of etiquette; Am I doing anything wrong in adding to the original persons work? Should I ask the original designer's permission (there is an e-dress on the pattern) before changing the pattern?

Since it was a free model, and appears not to be available any longer, is there considered to be any harm in sharing it with others? By which of course I mean sharing freely, not for any sort of remuneration. I would not want any whiff of piracy. This forum seems to frown on piracy as much as I do.

I guess that I am comparing model patterns to the Linux/open source model of software.

How "gray area" would it be to build both of the Valkyrie models that I bought, then turn around and build a third from the scan of those patterns in my computer?

I welcome your insight.

Semper fi,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.