"Hi" from another novice

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Mike G., Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G.

Mike G. New Member

I just wanted to introduce myself to all the forum members. I have been building plastic models since I was a munchkin and have built almost every type of moving vehicle, although aviation subjects are my passion. I recently wandered into the card model world and decided to give it a go. I have built a few easy "starter" planes from FG and they turned out pretty good. There are a whole new set of techniques that must be learned going from plastic to paper and they are just as challenging. I came upon cardmodels.net the other day and was thrilled to find a whole community of card modelers. The amount of knowledge and experience represented on these forums is staggering and one can get intimidated real quickly looking at much of the awesome work done by members of this community. However, I realize I have much to learn and look forward to absorbing as much wisdom as I can from all of you. Thanks for the knowledge you all have contributed to this site.

BTW, I'm curious, have many of you made the jump into paper from plastic?

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hey Mike,

Welcome, and enjoy the site and the knowledge.

I haven't jumped from one to the other, I just have taken a VERY long break from plastic.

3. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Welcome Mike,

I can’t speak for the rest of the forum but I would suspect that the vast majority has built both plastic and paper there is also a fair number of wood ship modelers here.
    As for myself I have been building models for several decades and have built plastic, wood and paper. I can’t say I jumped from plastic to paper since I built my first paper model in the late 50’s. I can say that with the quality of the paper models at its current level I find myself hardly interested in doing plastic, and besides plastic glue smells bad.

Jim Nunn
  4. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Welcome aboard Mike!

Always good to see another Minnesotan picking up this craft in anticipation of a long winter...

I built many, many plastic airplane models as a youth - and used them as play things. I built a number of plastic models as a young adult, but gave it up for a couple of decades.

I rediscovered my love of modeling when I discovered card models about 6 years ago. Plastic models have lost their appeal because of their cost and the smelly solvents.

-Jim G
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Mike!
    I have "put together" lots and lots of plastic models. But I cannot say I built any. With cardmodels, I can say with a clean conscience I built them all!
    For me, there is no challenge left in plastic modeling...and Elmers glue smells good!:twisted:

I first found cardmodels in 1974 and had they been available then like they are now, I never would have modeled in plastic. I did alot of balsa wood scratchbuilds but it never satisfied me the way cardmodels do. I guess I do not like painting. With cardmodels, I don't have to paint. AND if I make a mistake...I just print a new piece.

Thanks to the World Wide Web and printers,we now have unlimited cardmodel capabilities. I am amazed at the availability and the amount of different subjects in cardmodeling...as well as the amount of free downloads.

I currently have in excess of 10,000 cardmodels.
    I wonder how many plastic modelers can say that?
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Just 10,000 phil? slacker :p

Welcome to cardmodels! I built some simple plastic ones when i was a kid but havent done anything in at least 20 years so I suppose you cant really say I jumped from one to the other. I would make another plastic one after I am dine with all my paper builds I want to do - so maybe in 2075 or so.... and thats if I no new ones come out!

It is rather intimidating to read through everything here. Read golden bears tutorials for sure and go through tips and tricks. You already have your feet wet with FG models so you are well on your way. How about some pics? :D
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Welcome to the group.

Like many others here I built mainly plastic models when I was much younger. The last plastic model I built was a Cutty Sark back in 1982. I tried a few wooden ship models with the plank-on-plank hull construction. Quite an expensive hobby. Now it is all paper.

There are lots of resources and information to be found on this site. Have fun.:)
  8. Welcome Mike,

I'm heading down the road you are, having discovered card modeling less than 3 months ago. I view the plastics vs card approachs in the way woodengraver describes. I like to BUILD things. In the old days, plastics was more about building than it is today as the castings weren't as good, often inaccurate, and so we did a lot of futzing with plastic to make it look like a real model.

Today, you just pay enough and it becomes an assemby process. This is reflected in discussions of plastics which are all about finishing, historical documentation of finishes, etc. You'll find a bit of that in the cardmodel world but mostly it's about the building.

Right now I'm stumbling around with the techniques but I really like the emphasis on building rather than painting models. The other thing I REALLY like about cardmodelers is that they don't seem to have the tall barriers between genre groups that seem to exist in the plastics world. These guys have opened my eyes to how much fun it might be to build ships, vehicles, buildings as well as airplanes which are my first love. Heck, I even built Charlie Brown :)

Cheers --- Larry
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well said, particularly the part about "building" vs just putting something together (and painting it - ugh). I've got a partially built plastic sailing ship right now sitting on the shelf mocking me, that I doubt will ever be finished. Too much painting involved to make it look good. I used to be really into that when I was younder, but I don't have the same kind of patience now.

I know the best of the plastic modelers would scoff at the comment about no challenge being left, but those are the guys that go WAY beyond stock and into maximum realism. And if you're not going to be doing that (I know I don't want to), then the only hard thing left is painting.

I feel I'm accomplishing much more by having to form every part.

10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Welcome from a fellow novice here!
    In fact, I built some beginner's models a couple of years ago, then rest about one year, and now I'm up for the challenging models.
    Plastic in childhood. Not anymore.
  11. speedless

speedless Member

And welcome
    I made a lot a plastic models as a teenage,a few later from nostalgic.
    After a few years with paper,no comparison.Making paper model require a much more artistic approach.
    Im not going for the highly detailed apperance,but a easely recognized look.
    How many viewers will ever notice if theres 8 or 10 bolts in this or that???
    Some models seems to be made for the modeller,overkill.
    Making details that are not visible can only be to satisfy the modeller.
    Get the overall look and feeling of model right and your there.
  12. Darwin

Darwin Member

I prefer thinking of it as adding paper to the media I model in moreso than "jumping in from." I started with solid wood (pine) models back in about 1949 or 1950, made my first paper model about 1953, my first stick and tissue about 1954, and my first (injection molded) plastic shortly thereafter. Since then have added resin and vacuform to the mix. Each new medium has expanded the skill inventory. That's the true beauty of the modelling experience...one doesn't need to give up the old in order to explore the new. Another year or two and I make the best transition, that to certified old fart with enough retirement income to afford the job I've really always wanted....clerking in a hobby shop.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.