Hi folks

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Mark_1984, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a very experienced modeller in many fields, including scale, RC and model engineering. However, I've never had any success with card models before. Tried a Micromodel, and a boat downloaded off the 'net, both of which got consigned to the bin incomplete. I was having a modicum of success with a V1, but the was printed on plain paper (all I could get at the time) and ended up crushed while moving hotels (no surprise really !) I've now decided to have a go at Aru http://mizuirogakuen.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ which I've printed on glossy photo paper. I'll take a few photos on the way, and if it doesn't go pear shaped quickly I may even post a build thread.

I should add that I'm living in South Korea, and getting hold of card stock, is not easy. It's very much a case of make do with what you can find. I haven't found any shops selling the Korean printed kits yet. Maybe mail order, with the help of my secretary, but I'll see how Aru goes first. Any tips or comments greatly received.

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Welcome Mark! As you will see, we love to see pictures of your work here! Enjoy! Perhaps you could order some card stock on the web - not sure how good photo paper would work as I think the ink smears fairly easily. But there are others here who know much more than I do! :grin:
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold!

Glossy photo paper is apain but it gives pretty good results if you want a shiny model.

Downs: It creases easily when rolling cylinders. You have to scrape or sand the gloss off (and sometimes the backing) where you want to glue or it wont hold well if at all.
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Welcome! If there are any artist supply shops, you may be able to try buying sketch pads. They have a variety of thicknesses and finishes Otherwise, you best bet is ordering cardstock online, although shipping may be prohibitive.
  5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Thanks for the tips. I'm using a laser printer, so the colours don't run. Thanks for the tip about scraping the glossy surface off the glued areas - It certainly sticks much better now I'm doing that.

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Welcome Mark! Stick with it and ask plenty of questions if you get stuck. Lot's of people here to keep you from getting discouraged.

7. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

Welcome Aboard! :)
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

"Stick with it" !
    "Welcome to the Fold" !

Boy, do you guys like your puns !!!! :)
    I'm feeling quite at home here already.........
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Well...we ARE a bunch of cards! Yep, regular cut-ups!
    Welcome...sorry I'm late...ummm...Pics! Yeah, show us some Pics!
  10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I found some card in an office supply shop, but have no idea what weight it is. It's 0.4mm or 15 thou thick. Is this any good for card models ?
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's a bit thick for most purposes. As a comparison, most card models use paper for skins and regular parts that is between .20 and .25 mm or so. Some heavier parts are laminated to card that is 0.5 mm and thicker. It'd be hard to bend and form .4 - .5 mm thick stuff, but it could be OK for some formers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.