Hi everyone and Help with scanning and printing

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by kkorycin, Nov 28, 2005.

1. kkorycin

kkorycin New Member

IM pretty new to the forum but I have been making card models ever since well.. I can remember. I grew up in Poland during the 80s and Maly kits was pretty much all I did since the only plastics kits available then were two scales of PZL Los and another biplane I cant remember.

I still have some Maly kits I brough with me, and a few others (GPM/Fly and such) I purchased over the net. So far I made Fly's T72, and compared to what I been turning out as a kid, im pretty impressed hehe.

Well now I want to build a ship and have set my sights on an old maly kit of ZOP Minsk. The card stock it came printed on was pretty bad and brittle even when it was new and thats what i need help with.

I tried experimenting with scanning the model into the computer and reprinting it on better cardstock. But... everyime i try to scan and print the parts come out in different sizes.. Ive tried this som many times and still the same effect. Its really driving me nuts. The best effect i got was scanning the model at 200dpi and using Arcsoft Photobase (only program i have) to print it at the same 200dpi, and it still comes out a different size( i tried this by cutting the parts and comparing them to the originals)

What I need is some advice, how to scan and print so the print will be the same exact size as the original because for the life of me i cant figure it out. Maybe im using the wrong programs or scanner settings? Need help please.
  2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello Kkorycin,

I have a paper model of the Arwing from the Starfox video game that was in an issue of Nintendo power that I wanted to copy and not build the original. I scanned it and it too came out smaller than the original??? I don't know why that happened but all the parts were reduced at the same rate so it could still be built properly just a bit smaller. However I did get it at the right size by doing a "copy" instead of a "scan". If your scanner can do copy you might try that.

Hope that helps,
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I usually scan at a resolution of 300DPI, crop the image to selection, then after all images are scanned, I choose the largest (pixel size) and create a new image with the same resolution and pixel size. Next I copy each scan and paste to the new (blank) image and save copy as.

In other words, paste all scans on an image of the same size. Then when I print I use fit to page and all pages come out the same size.

I know this is not EXACTLY what you asked for but hope it helps.
  4. joe

joe New Member

Or download the gimp graphics program

and reformat the scans (full size) to letter size stock. Joe
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

You may have to set the scanner to recognise that it's scanning an A4 page -
    that's usually in the scanner software setup. Without knowing what your scanner is that's about all I can offer.

300 dpi is a pretty good compromise between resolution and gigantic files. I'd
    recommend saving as .tif files rather than .jpg - Tif files are lossless compression files - if you want to rescale or otherwise manipulate the scanned
    files you can get some rather strange and undesirable effects with .jpgs.

I wonder if the application you're using to print the scans is automatically putting in margins and thus shrinking the scanned image. It might pay to try
    something like Irfanview and print without margins.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy kkorycin,

I wonder if you applied a light spray of polyeurethane to the originals, would that make the paper not so brittle? Just a thought.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Are they all out by the same amount and what software are you using to print the sheets back out.
  8. lunarhighway

lunarhighway Member

what you could try is to draw a little ruler on the page before you scan...and then after scanning digitally measure that ruler again... most good graphical software has something like rulers build in if there's a difference with the original size you can calculate the difference and up or downscale the digital image accordingly.
    if the scale is still unaltered at this point, you know that the difference in size is caused by your printer...have a look at the settings but if you can't find the reason there just resize the digital image again before printing.

anyway, it's just something i sometimes use to make sure my images stay the same size trough various conversions

hope it helps
  9. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I'm assuming that the one scanned sheet does not print compatible to another.

lets not skip the basics.

1) save all scans to a directory.

2) do not change scanning preferences between images.

3) print from a program that lets you FIX the size of the print vs print "fit to the size of the paper", aka, print images at 50%, 75%, etc.

4) make sure you print exactly the same way each time.

the only time I've experienced problems like what you are describing is when I crop the scans, and then end up with scans that are not the same pixel length and width.

If this is not the problem, then all you have to do is fix the print to be 110%, 150%, etc, whatever so that is bigger, or 90%, 50%, etc so it is smaller. What I'll do is put a ruler on the scan bed with the model, I'll experiment to get the right size.

Lets say when I print the sheet a 10cm ruler prints out 8 cm long. well then
    if I set my printing program to print at 125% (8*X=10, x=10/8 , x=1.25, ) then the next print will print the 10cm ruler at 10cm. just print all the sheets at 125%
  10. kkorycin

kkorycin New Member

Thank you all for the help, I'll definately try those suggestions once i get a little more free time to play around with this :)