HI and need advice.

tegemu

Jul 2, 2007
Hi,

I'm the new kid on the block and just beginning to seriously consider building a layout. At the moment I am trying to decide what guage I want to model, N or HO. I am leaaning towards N but I am no longer young (Old Geezer) and have trouble working with small stuff so I may have to go to HO. I have one problem before I begin that maybe one of y'all can help me with. I am single and live alone with a cat who thinks everything in view belongs to him. Does anyone have any ideas to keep the feline away from all those super tempting things he can find on a layout?
Thanx,

Tegemu

C

Catt

Does anyone have any ideas to keep the feline away from all those super tempting things he can find on a layout?

Try a plant mister (spray bottle) filled with water.He/she will get the idea soon enough if sprayed with water everytime he/she heads for the layout.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ours regards everythung that moves as a toy and anything that doesn't as something to sharpen his teeth on. I had to put a door across the basement stairs and then put a latch on it -- both sides.
And the water spray doesn't deter him either.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
or keep the door closed. Which may not be a complete solution. Fortunately, our cat is older and not too playful so I havent had a problem.
As for the what scale to model, question, my geezerly opinion would be HO. Of course it depends how much detail work you intend to do. If you are going to do a lot of scratch building or assemble kits, I would suggest HO. If you are simply going to use Ready to Run (RTR) equipment, N scale might not be to bad. I personally think sometimes that I should change to G scale, when I get frustrated with my poor depth perception and shaky hands. Your choice.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
I'm not sure that scale has anything at all to do with eyesight or shaky hands. Whatever scale you're in, you will model to the detail level you're capable of. That may or may not be detailed enough to keep you satisfied. If it isn't, you won't be happy in any scale -- if it is, you'll be happy whichever one you choose.

In N-scale, putting separate scale grab irons on rolling stock is tricky and only required if you're a bit of a perfectionist. In HO, they're so much bigger that you'll have to get at least there if you're interested in them looking good at all. In O scale, the same person will go much further in the detail levels.

I believe that the "if you're old, avoid N" is a completely bogus argument. If you have trouble seeing and handling tiny things, just buy N scale locos and cars and run them as they are. Although I like HO and larger scales, and I have three large rooms I can expand my layout into, I'll still stick with N because you can do so much more with the same space, however big that space is...

Charles

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
i dont mean to be rude but if you guys are complaining about poor eyesight..then get glasses... i have glasses and theyre not really bad at all. contacts stay away from them when you have shaky hands you could poke your eye out ......but hey what do i know im only 17.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
You're right,N scaler. I did get glasses when I was about 12. I got them again at 20, I'm now 73 and I've been wearing them all these years. I worked as a machinist and professional modelmaker, aircraft mechanic and other assorted things. old age brings with it a bunch of changes, among which are things like cataracts, macular degeneration etc. My comments were based on my experience,for information only.