Hi All I'm a Noob

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Fhaetal, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fhaetal

Fhaetal New Member

hello to all the artful hobbyist, I have never owned or flown an R/C before but last week on the 4th of july I decided to purchase a ExceedRC-50H21-Chinook heli and get in the game. I am also looking for a Winged plane to purchase and live out my daydreams and fly a fighter, I have no flight experience but I'm sharp and a quick learner. I was looking for a MiG-31 Firefox ARF or RTF, not ready to start from a scratch build, so I was wondering does anyone sale the plane?
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Hi Faetal...We have a very proficient helicopter pilot in residence (you can see his videos at our "Video Vault" forum. I'm sure he will be able to give you some pointers. Looking forward to your own videos (please don't edit out the crashes:)) Welcome to Zealot.
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Welcome Fhaetal...
    Whatever you do...DON'T try to go at this alone, particularly the heli, or you'll soon end up with a twisted pile of heli parts. Look around your area and see if there are any RC'ers around that can lend a hand...

R/C can be a lot of fun...but you gotta crawl before you walk, and it'll take a while before can run...:thumb:
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Having just recently broken my helicopter duck with a fun twin rotor 'EasyCopter' I can vouch for the fun that can be had with a relatively cheap model.

I have had plenty of ground based RC experience, but never got airborne..except when the nitro buggy hit a jump...

Best bit of advice I can give is to spend some time getting hte trim and setup right before you fly. Make sure the swashplate is level and adjust things so it is. Otherwise you will spend lots of time trying to stop the thing going all over the place! Once I figured that out, my flying began to make sense.

Then I crashed.

Expect this. Keep the height sensible and fly on something that is relatively soft! On still days, head for the grass :)

I have had a week or so of practice and can now just about manage to make the thing land where it was meant to....sort of..... and with the skids downwards.

Then I crashed.

Then I had a bit of bother which resulted in a sudden stopping of flying ( due to the unplanned detaching of the flybar in mid air tangling the rotors, which caused an excessive current to be drawn, fried the speed controller and saw the chopper go down trailing smoke from the canopy) so the helicopter is in the shop while they get the bits for me.

Lesson 1: make sure you can get spares for your helicopter!

Lesson 2: Learn to be quick shutting off the power when things go wrong, ans a stalled motor will cause cooked electrics

Lesson 3: In between the crashes, these things are great fun!

Can't really advise on planes, as they are not really my thing. Live in a city, and the available open space to fly in is severely limited.
  5. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

What a great tutorial Flare....I hope it wasn't too late for "fatal". Let's hope for an update from him.
  6. oldtamiyaphile

oldtamiyaphile New Member

The Skylift (which I have) or rather similar Walkera in the first link, is stable enough for a beginner, but it's a BIG model that can only be flown indoors (unless it's dead calm). It pushes a lot of air so you really need a big indoor venue to fly in, a gym or warehouse for example.

The number of rotors and therefore parts count is a bit high for a beginner. Basically, when you crash you have twice as much to fix :(

I love my Skylift but it's more of a novelty than a fun machine.

I would look into any of the single coaxial models from Esky, Walkera or E-Flite. You will probably find that E-Flite has the best local support, but parts are more expensive. With the other two parts are cheap, but you'll have to mail order them in advance.

Good news is you can still get a scale looking military ship, and it will cost you less:thumb:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.