Hi again all!

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Hey folks. Some of you may remember me :mrgreen:

I've generally been doing small layouts (N-scale on a Door, Switching layouts, and a 54"x30" peanut shaped oval with a switching game, which has been my layout for the last 3 years)

I'm pretty good at designing small layouts (under 20 square feet) in N-scale, so the space ahead is daunting and exciting at the same time.

Suddenly, My cramped space has gone away: I have an entire bedroom to use, that needs NOTHING else but trains. The room is about 9x11. I can post pictures later.

My question: Should I Plan one full layout for the room, or stick with the smaller plans I've done before as modules connected together?

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
I'm not sure you get what I meant by modules:

the idea is a series of smaller layouts connected by a main line. The mini-layouts within the layout represent towns, industrial zones, branch lines, and yards. These unrelated units would be connected into a single layout by a single or double track line

The question is whether to do that, or try to make a single, unified whole layout.

The room is roughly 9x12

Attached are a couple pictures of the room, from the door and from an interior corner.

lights have to be added (No overhead light)

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 8

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I agree - GO BIG! There's always some trade-offs with every layout...but you could plan the entire layout in smaller modules and build one at a time if you like and add them into the final "master plan" as you have the time/money/requirement.

N

nachoman

Unless you make a really small layout, it would be difficult to use the room for something else at the same time. So, you sould go ahead and fill the room with one layout. You could build modules, but make sure you devise a standard so that they all fit together well. Making modules first and then deciding how to fit them together is problematic.

Actually, If I was in N-scale, I would consider building modules. You can make a pretty complete scene on a standard N-trak module, but in HO, a single modlue doesn't leave much room.

Kevin

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
SS, to me that is part of good layout design. The train goes from yard to industries, through town and into the country to the next town and industry.
So, combine the two. Draw the plan as modules, but build it as one layout.

Loren

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
my initial idea is a reverse F-shaped layout using my existing 2.5x4.5 and 3 doors

the Doors will run along the walls in the first picture, in basically this shape:

_ _ |

the small layout (which has an interchange track) will sit at the juncture of the two doors making the plan look basically like this:
_i_|

Planned height of the base is between 30 and 36", and the trains will be operated from a seated position, cause I'm lazy like that :)

This leaves the other corner (the second picture) for a small HO layout that will always be July, 1976. (a small place to run my old Athearn Seaboard Coast Line #1776.

an initial Givens-n-Druthers for the first area:

No specific region to be modeled. Some days I might want to run a bullet train at high speed, some days I feel like watching a wood-powered steam engine go. seeing em both at the same time? Why the heck not? Its my railroad and I'll do wacky things if I like :)

Wanted: Long, interestingly shaped continuous running, possibly a folded dogbone. Most times I just want to relax and watch trains run through interesting scenery. Freight and Passenger Service desired.

Switching needs:

Yard space that is interesting to switch without being too challenging, and isn't ridiculously large for the actual industries we see. A large yard area might double as visible staging.

Industries that can be take a wide variety of cars. My small layout already runs with random car orders that can be switched in just a few moves. Tymesavers not wanted, but switching in some areas should be more work than just parking a car.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
SS, what do you use for your random car orders?

Loren

Dice. :mrgreen:

My small layout uses the Inglenook Sidings as a yard, and I roll a d8 5 times for the outgoing manifest, rerolling duplicates. Then a d6 for where each car goes on my industries (again, rerolling duplicates).

This gives me (8*7*6*5*4) * (6*5*4*3*2) possibilities, this runs into over 14 million combinations.

Since everyone asks: Inglenook Sidings is the definitive British switching puzzle. It consists of 3 tracks that hold 3, 3, and 5 cars and a yard lead that holds 3 cards and your switcher. You fill the 5 car and one 3 car track with cars. then pick 5 of them randomly, in the order picked, as the cars 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of your outgoing train. I added randomly picking an industry as well. to finish my operational plan.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Love the name!...the avatar pic is good to...not on par with Twiggy...but still good!

How about a few pictures of your existing small layouts? If they can be strung together to be a part of the big layout, then great!

9x12 in Nscale...I'd want to fill the room with a double or even triple deck empire...

Go Big1

Dec 29, 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago
I wouldn't be me without saying that you should GO BIG with your layout. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I think if you can incorporate your already created layouts into a larger, comprehensive layout, that would be the way to go. :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I've been thinking of your questions for a couple of days, and I think I have some answers to consider. I think doing individual switching areas as small layouts that are then connected to make a large layout might be a effective way to go. That way as you complete each section, you will be more encouraged because you will see improvements. I also think that I would focus my concentration of scenery on the industrial switching areas and leave mainlines relatively with out scenery until the industrial sections are completed.