hhhmmm... Something Seems To Be Missing

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Got the trestles attached to the track.... Now I've just gotta fasten them to the layout.
    And get the wires run for the lockons.
    And run the wires for the uncouplers.

I'm thinking I might need a second transformer for accessories before I'm done.
    Any suggestions hhow this can be done?
    Are accessories AC or DC? I thought I knew once but I can't remember now.

And I'm still not sure that I'm happy with that top spur.......

Attached Files:

2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

looks good!
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

It does look tight on the top. However overall it looks like a very nice layout and brings back that old time feeling. I'm sure you will enjoy running on this one.
  4. Cannonball

I think I will too.
    I've already done a few test runs on it.
    I know I really shouldn't have since the trestles aren't fastened down to the table yet but I did anyway.

I ran my first engine (Lionel 8300) and a bout 5 cars around for a couple of laps and it seemed to go well but I have to really pull back on the throttle for the downhill run. Of course, I had to give it the official first run since it was my first engine. ;)

I ran both Beeps and they did..... OK.
    There is stil one switch they don't like and there is one corner that keeps derailing them for some reason. I'm going to inspect this more closely later on and see if I can find out why. They did this on the old layout as well same corner even. I think the Beeps will fair better when the trestles are fastened down and the track isn't so wobbly.

Last but not least, I ran the trolley.
    I'm almost tempted to sell off all my other engines and rolling stock now. Trolleys are right at home on this layout. With the right accessories it could be a cool little metro area and it just looks so right with that trolley rolling around those curves. My daughter and I had a blast running it back and forth this morning. Even the wobbly upper track didn't seem to slow it much. I can see now why people get hooked on trolleys. :D

I didn't run either of the Marx trains. I don't want to risk the 666 until the trestles are secured to the table and the track is leveled off. The 490 wouldn't handle this layout well anyway since there are 3 Lionel switches it would have to cope with. So sadly, they didn't get a turn this time around. Perhaps in a few days when I get the chance to fasten down the trestles.
  5. Geno

Geno Member

I was considering going with fastrack as my 'temporary setup' track, but with its' costly buy-in costs it made that option too expensive for me. And I've already invested over $1000 on Atlas 2-rail track, which will eventually be permanently set down over the stud rail with cork roadbed, ballasted, and weathered. But I do think fastrack is good for a quick setup and makes for a nice looking layout (barring the unrealistic rail profile).

The 027 still works for me as a cheap alternative for a temporary setup, as I already have plenty of it and got rid of the parts that didn't work for me (Lionel 042 swithces). The K-Line 042 switches I have on order will allow my longer cars and engines to run through them- perfect for a test layout.

Cannonball- now you can see why alot of us run wider (042 or larger) curves- even small engines look good and are more stable on them. I ran my scale trains on Lionel tresels set down on carpet before with little or no problems using 054 and 072 curves.

6. Cannonball

Actually, the Beeps take the rest of the corners really well. It's just a hink in that one corner that's throwing them off. I think it's because they come out of that corner and then start right into the incline. One Beep is starting to go up as the second is just coming around the corner. The combination is causing the second Beep to run off the rail because of the tight coupling.
  7. Geno

Geno Member

More power to you if the 027 curves work for you- that's really what this hobby is all about; taking what you like and running trains on it. But for me even 042 curves are too tight for my 18" long Dash-9's, which run and look better on 054's and 072's.

Looks like you're going to have some fun running on your layout- your trackplan is simple yet still very interesting. I like it.

8. Cannonball

I like the O27 because I can get more of it in a smaller space.

If I was working with O42, O54 or O72, about all I'd have room for is a single loop. Actually, I wouldn't have room for even that in O54 or O72 since my table is only 48 inches wide. I've got to sacrifice the big engines but I'm just as happy with the smaller ones as long as the layout stays interesting.
  9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I use 0-36 for two loops and 0-42 for the elevated. I had room to go a lot larger but did not want to waste the corners so I use straights between the curves.

While this does limit my train size I can live with it. However there are a few that look like crap going arounf those tight curves.

Everyone does know 0-27 style track does come in large curve size too.
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I think all Lionel accessories are AC. Lionel produced some DC trains at one point, but you probably don't have them. AFAIK, all Marx are AC, and all American Flyer. (N.B. this does not apply to HO, OO or G gauge trains.)
  11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

at $2.72 for a 10" straight and 2.75 for a curve in fasttrack, its cheaper then alot of the other brands, even cheaper then some "non snap track" and fast track does come in 30" piece's to.

12. Cannonball

Yeah, I did a little digging and came up with that answer as well. At least now I know I was probably right. :D I had it in my head for some reason that while the train ran on AC, the accessories were powered by DC or vise versa. Not sure where I picked that up.

So how many lights do you think I could get to run wired in series directly to a 40W transformer?
  13. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

There are a few AF S gauge trains that were DC powered but they are a lot less common than AC. Marx did a small number of DC trains, intended to be powered by battery in the "transformer." Not terribly common. AF, Marx, and Lionel postwar AC motors will run on DC--the design allows for either, although they all shipped with AC transformers and the reverse units all expected AC.

Modern production trains use a DC can motor and have a rectifier to convert the AC from the track to DC. You can't run these trains on DC like postwar--you'll damage the circuit board.
  14. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

you sure about this? postwar lionel (1945 to 1969) will run on DC sure, for about 30 min if your lucky! you wont catch me running mine on DC! some of the newer ones, (1990's on up) say that they are ac or dc. but not all the engines. in the 1980's lionel made some CHEAP CHEAP sets that was dc only, and AC will fry them

15. simmonds

simmonds Member

Hey CB. The layout is looking GREAT:thumb: Cant wait to see some video and see thos tripple 6's running around. Great job. Chris
  16. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Yes, I'm sure about it. It was common practice. The Lionel motor was designed to run on either because in the prewar era a lot of houses had DC power. There were revisions to the motor in postwar times, but the motor still operated the same way. The only harm in running postwar Lionel on DC is that eventually (over the course of months or years) the e-unit becomes magnetized and gets stuck in one direction, so if you go to run it on AC again, you'll have to demagnetize the e-unit to get the reversing capability back.

Some people ran their postwar trains (whether Lionel or AF) on DC because the motors run cooler and more smoothly on DC, but you lose the reversing capability. This was especially common practice with AF operators because the AF reverse unit wasn't as reliable as Lionel's.

With modern-era stuff you do have to be careful about AC or DC because most modern AC locomotives use a DC motor with a voltage rectifier. DC motors will burn up quickly if fed AC current. Whether the rectifier will handle DC when it's expecting AC is a risky bet.

17. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

can you reverse a train if it has a ac transformer. just courious?
  18. Cannonball

Yup. Forward and reverse. Clockwise or counter clockwise. Doesn't matter which way the train is facing.
  19. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

so lionel lied to me then?
  20. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

If you talked to someone at Lionel itself, most likely the person got it wrong. It happens. Lionel knows its current product a lot better than its old stuff--Lionel frequently has to consult outsiders about its own history.