Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by z5strikers, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z5strikers

z5strikers New Member

I am a 18 year old paper modeler from the states who is studying to become a mechanical engineer. I don't purchase models online, or download models. I have always made my own models, I guess the old fashion way with ruler and pencil, drawling out each side. i am intrigued by the auto-cad application I recently learned about on this site though.

I have made my own simple models since 1st grade, and the past two years I have become more and more serious. I have built many models, most of them until recently have been castles, but now I am working towards making other types of models. I recently finished drawling out a R2D2 model, and want to make a copy of it before I assemble it.

I will try to upload some of my work soon.

So anyone else make models with computer programs?
  2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

z5strikers, good to have you onboard. Acad takes some time to get used to. I've been using it since release 9 back in the 80's. The fact that you know how to to drawings by hand is the best first step. You need to look at Cad prograns as a drafting board and just take the time to find the commands that do the things you would do on the board by hand. Then it becomes quick to learn. Best to you.
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, z5strikers.

You remind me my 7 year old son, who is making simple models - dad don't bring him more printed models as fast as he wants them -.

And yes, upload your photos for all of us to awe.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold! Mechanical engineer eh? I hate 5 page math problems so thats out for me (and thats just one problem) I am really looking forward to seeing some of the homemade stuff!
  5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Welcome to our community :)
  6. Clashster

Clashster Member

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work! I have a lot of respect for those of you who can design a model - whether freehand or on the computer. Enjoy this site, it is full of great ideas and good folk!

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Howdy! Welcome to the forums!
    You sound a lot like myself when I was your age, of course that was eons ago!
    I took all the drafting courses available in school and even took a couple a second time and was a teachers aid in those classes.
    I loved drafting with a passion!
    Right after I got out of school the computer started to hit the mainstream, at least in business' anyway.
    I learne about CAD and computers on the job. Nothing has been the same since!

Anyway, welcome and I can't wait to see some of your work!

8. z5strikers

z5strikers New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Here are some pictures of some my more recent work... they are less complicated paper models then most of the ones I have seen here, but after visiting this website and seeing what else is possible I have plans to undertake more and more difficult projects.

[​IMG] school project for history, the battle of lexington
    [​IMG] Moorestown friends Meeting house... made it to pass high school art and to graduate!
    [​IMG] Helms Deep from the Lord of the Rings, Two Towers
  9. gippolot

gippolot Member

Just came across your post z5strikers.

Your Helms Deep model is fantastic. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

From memory, your display looks much better than the expensive model the Wetta group were flogging.

Please show off more of your work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.