Hey Tyson...

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...see what happens when you park your tank car in a bad neighborhood? :D
Seriously,
Here's a little project the K&I shops are working on (they're notoriously slow :rolleyes: )
Hope to have her up on wheels, painted, & rolling south soon!

Attachments

• mvc-006f.jpg
    mvc-006f.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 238

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Tyson,
All I have around here are the old Bettendorf trucks, but I thought roller-bearings would be better for this car.
So I need to see if I can hunt up some of those, & some data decals. (Oh Yeah, & come up with a paint scheme! :p )

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Charlie there's no rush, please don't put this in front of getting your daughter's Hogwart Express up and running. As you saw on my boxcar I didn't have any data decals so I made some on my computer. Unfortunely #4 pica is as small as a home computer goes so they were a little large but not to bad to the naked eye.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Rush?
I've got 4 kids, man, my whole life is a rush!:rolleyes:
No, really it's no problem...my local hobby guy has some data sheets...& I have some other stuff I need to pick up from him anyway.
I'm not able to make my own decals...I have the "Yugo" version of ink-jet printers...:mad: I think my wife finally bolted it to the table, because everytime I use it, I instinctively want to throw the %$#@ thing out the window!
I've got some alphabet sets around here, & I think I can come up with an EVM logo...besides, I kinda like the challenge! :)
As far as Hogwarts...we have to work on that before my little one's bedtime...after hours means time for N scale! This is precisely why I'm a big believer in small layouts!
I can't put a deadline on anything, but I'll keep ya posted!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Tyson,
My 10 year old is having a slumber party tonight! :eek:
So in anticipation, I made a trip to the hobby shop today, & picked up a data sheet, & some new x-acto blades...I think it looks like a great night to hide out in the train room! :)
Looks like the K&I shop crew might be pulling some overtime!:D
I'll post some pics when I've made a little more progress!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Tyson,
Well, I've run into a bit of a snag with the tank car...
Last night I was working on it, & one of the bolsters just kinda disintegrated!:mad: (maybe I should post this under that "frustration" thread)
Anyway, I'm not sure how I managed to do this...I didn't drop it or anything. While inspecting the damage, I noticed that the bolsters on this car (Atlas 20,000 gal. tank) are a rather delicate casting that incorporate the end running boards, & stirrup steps all in one piece. I think this was a case of fine scale size coming at the expense of structural weakness.
This also may be a case of Charlie & his ham-fisted technique needing to work in O or G scale! :confused:
But fear not...I'm already working on a fall-back plan.
BDC,
You may have been right...this one might end up on blocks, & part of a scrap yard scene!:p

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know Tyson...
I've been at it long enough now to realize that all those frustrating screw-ups just serve to make getting it right that much sweeter!

BTW - Happy Easter to you & yours, & to ALL my buddies at The Gauge!

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Charlie, Looks like it's time for deft work with the cyanoacrelate adhesive. Woaaa there, mind your fingers!:)
Sweet talk your wife and the easter bunny might do an excellent job of it for you :D

Errol

Happy Easter to all on the Gauge.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
2nd Attempt

Tyson,
This is what I've come up with so far...
Still have to letter the other side, & do some more weathering.
I'm having a little trouble with the coupler allignment...I might just send it to you & see what you can do with it:p
I'll keep ya posted!

Attachments

• mvc-010f.jpg
    mvc-010f.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 85

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yeah, they're truck-mounted Tyson.
I've never had any problems with them, but on this car, the height seems to be OK, but it's just not coupling as easy as I would like. Maybe some graphite in the draft gear box...?
I still got some work to do.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Tyson,
This tanker is just about ready to roll...
Still not real happy with the wheels & couplers...:mad:
Maybe you can try your hand at it...my mechanical skills leave a lot to be desired.:rolleyes:
I hope it's not too shabby for you.

Attachments

• mvc-012f.jpg
    mvc-012f.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 49