Hey, it's raining

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
For those of you that are not aware, we've had a record dry spell in the Phoenix area. The old record was 101 days set back around 60 years ago. Well, we broke that, big time. We went 143 days here without measurable rain... that is until today.

I know you guys in other parts of the country or world have had your fill of rain and snow, but around here, we need all we can get. Our fire season has started way too early, and they're gearing up for a really bad one if we don't get more rain down here and more snow up in the higher elevations like around Flagstaff.

All I can say is WHOOPPIE..... BRING IT ON.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'm sure that Jim Currie, TrainNut, Ray Marinaccio and a few others here will agree with that.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I wish I could send you some of this Ohio Valley weather, Don...we've been getting doused for a couple of days now!
143 DAYS?! I can't imagine that! We have dry periods in the summer here...we went 7 weeks one year...that's a major drought in KY...we lost a lot of trees that year...
Winter time here though, can be summed up in three words that just happen to be the title of an Elvis hit..."Cold KY Rain"! October thru April usually means quite a bit of that stuff!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Drew1125 said:
I wish I could send you some of this Ohio Valley weather, Don...we've been getting doused for a couple of days now!
143 DAYS?! I can't imagine that! We have dry periods in the summer here...we went 7 weeks one year...that's a major drought in KY...we lost a lot of trees that year...
Winter time here though, can be summed up in three words that just happen to be the title of an Elvis hit..."Cold KY Rain"! October thru April usually means quite a bit of that stuff!
We could have used that months ago. When we have a good winter rain, usually just a few inches (total yearly rainfall here is around 10"), the wildflowers all come out in the spring and the desert changes to a sea of stunning colors. Not this year, too little rain, too late. Also around here, there are very few grass lawns, mostly desert landscaping of gravel and cactus. So far this year we haven't gotten our gravel lawn sprayed for weeds. No rain, no weeds. I guess it's going to be time now to do that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Kingman Arizona/Dolan Springs Arizona
ezdays said:
We could have used that months ago. When we have a good winter rain, usually just a few inches (total yearly rainfall here is around 10"), the wildflowers all come out in the spring and the desert changes to a sea of stunning colors. Not this year, too little rain, too late. Also around here, there are very few grass lawns, mostly desert landscaping of gravel and cactus. So far this year we haven't gotten our gravel lawn sprayed for weeds. No rain, no weeds. I guess it's going to be time now to do that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sign1 Hey Don it rained here last nite and snowed up in the Hualapi mountains...Such a pretty site looking at the snowy Hualapi's. Almost makes me want to view them all day but I have to work on my layout.:D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Arizona Heat said:
sign1 Hey Don it rained here last nite and snowed up in the Hualapi mountains...Such a pretty site looking at the snowy Hualapi's. Almost makes me want to view them all day but I have to work on my layout.:D :D :D
Ken,

Yeah, you guys got the storm before we did. I don't know how high the Hualapi's are, but up over 7000 feet they're looking for about 2 feet of snow. Maybe they'll open up the Snow Bowl this week. Not that I care, they wouldn't allow me on skis unless I signed waivers absolving them of all liability anyway.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And Pete, they've got fire restrictions on the Rim right now, anywhere in the national forests here that'll probably last all summer. They probably will have restrictions on ATV's and bikes as well... lucky for you....:eek: :eek:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
When I was out there in August, It rained one time, for ten minutes, sun came out dried it up and the temp shot back up to 104.
Shot of said storm from my dad's deck.

Attachments

• tstorm.jpg
    tstorm.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 88

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
It is always nice to see some water falling on the dry parts of the country. Glad you guys are getting it.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
eightyeightfan1 said:
When I was out there in August, It rained one time, for ten minutes, sun came out dried it up and the temp shot back up to 104.
Shot of said storm from my dad's deck.

only 104 one of our more temperate days sign1 :) :wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jim currie said:
only 104 one of our more temperate days sign1 :) :wave:
You're right, we usually don't turn on the A/C until it gets to at least 105. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW, did you see where it snowed up in Cave Creek? For those of you that aren't familiar with Arizona, Cave Creek is about 40 miles north of central Phoenix in what we call the "high desert." Snow flurries aren't unusual there maybe once every few years, but they've gotten a couple of inches there today. Ray Marinaccio should be seeing some good snow as well up where he is, but he's normally suppose to get snow. :wave: :wave:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
ezdays said:
Ray Marinaccio should be seeing some good snow as well up where he is, but he's normally suppose to get snow. :wave: :wave:
Yea, We are getting hammered. We are snowed in up on the mountain at the moment. They had the road cleared for a little while this afternoon but it has been comming down pretty good since then. From what I hear down the mountain in Dewey and Humboldt it isn't quite as bad.
This was taken this morning.

Attachments

• Mar11$02.JPG
    Mar11$02.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 72

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
We have a little bit of property NW of Prescott and this is what it looked like up there today!

Attachments

• DCP_2772.jpg
    DCP_2772.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DCP_2767.jpg
    DCP_2767.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 50

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Out here, on the San Francisco Bay Area, in which it hasn't snowed since early 1974(?!?) It snowed down to 500 or so feet and dusted all the foothills 'round here with beautiful snow, ithis marks the FIFTH(!) time I've seen snow in my 16 year existence! (yeah I know that's REALLY pathetic...sigh!)

you people and your rain.... :D :D

I am on my way to central California and now i have to go all the way down to I-10 to bypass the nastyness that is now occuring across I-40 from New Mexico, all the way past flagstaff.

it's spring!!! snow is supposed to be done!!!! :D

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Arizona Heat said:
When u were out there WHERE!!!!!!:eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:
Apache Junction. I could step out my fathers deck and see the Superstition Mountain.

When I was out there, I'd call home in Connecticut. Better-Half would tell me that it was a HOT 85 degrees....Thats the temp my father kept the A/C set at.

Attachments

• sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 45