Hey guys! Need your help for my dad's b-day!

trippinbillies4

Nov 21, 2005
Hello everyone! Years ago (well before I was born) my father and my grandfather built an enormous HO-Scale layout in their basement in Kettering, OH. My grandpa's name was Don Santel. The railroad was the "Ohio-Michigan South Shore". Long story short, my dad turned 50 this year, and as a Christmas gift, I was going to see if I could hunt down pictures, articles, etc of his layout that he may not have seen before. Currently the layout is on its side in our basement in our new house that we moved to about 8 years ago.

If ANYONE has any information where I could get copies of railroading magazines that my grandpa wrote articles for in the 70's, or any pictures, etc, I would VERY much appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has ever seen the layout when it was up and running, please get in touch with me. We moved when I was just a kid, so I really never got into model railroading. I have very limited pictures that I took with my ninja turtle's camera when I was five or so.

Again, thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

~Dave Santel

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Dave,
When I first got interested in model railroading as an adult about 1979 or 1980 or thereabouts, I remember a series in Railroad Model Craftsman about modeling a large part of the Colorado narrow gauge trains in ho. I seem to remember the author's name was Don Santel, and he was going to build the railroad he had designed, but in the last installment RMC said that he had passed away after writing the article. Was that your grandfather, or am I remembering a different person?

trippinbillies4

Nov 21, 2005
That was definitely him. He passed away the year I was born, in 1983. He wrote an article in the July 1977 Railroad Model Craftsman. The Ohio Michigan South Shore layout that they had already completed was definitely a sight to see in itself!