Hey Everyone

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Gazer, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gazer

Gazer New Member

:wave:Thought I would finally throw my name on the list. I've been watching this site for a long time. I can't believe what I have seen. You guys are really good. I've been playing with paper for a while but haven't had much time to devote to it. I'm getting ready to retire from a job I've had for 38 years and hope to have more time for the fun stuff. Keep up the good work.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome Gazer! Glad you found us, you will like it here and we will keep you in ideas :) what genre are you interested in?
  3. Gazer

Gazer New Member

I'm mainly into aircraft, space and cars. Specifically Nascar.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Howdy Gazer! :wave: Welcome to the addiction, er, ahem, I mean hobby!

Hey if you like Nascar you will love this site...

Since you'll be retiring soon, I guess we will see a lot more of you around here
    and a lot of your wonderful models too! :twisted:hehehehe

I am looking forward to seeing you around the forums!
    I know you will enjoy yourself immensely! :mrgreen:

5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Gazer, as always, glad to have new people on board. Hope you enjoy being here. Looking forward to seeing any work you do. Best to you as always.
  6. Gazer

Gazer New Member

Thanks Amazyah. I've got all of the cars from Nascar Paper Models downloaded. Waiting for the pace cars to come out. Since I'm from Arkansas I'm a big Mark Martin fan. I think his car will be my first Nascar build.

I'm trying to get a little more experience with paper before I start a big job. I used to do a lot of plastic models, but I'm just learning paper, I've only done a couple of small planes. It's amazing what can be done with it.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Here is the first one I threw together.
    It has been in a couple of fender benders already, with my dog, but the damage was not too bad.
    It sort of gave it some character...

It was a really fun build and I cannot wait to get my hands on the chase cars either!:cool:
    They are going to be nice! I have got to get some more photo paper for them!

8. Gazer

Gazer New Member

Amazyah, I've been using regular card stock for the models I've been working on. Should I use photo paper instead. I know it will give the car more of a shiney metal look, but never really considered it.
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, it really is just a matter of preference but it is much easier and cheaper to just use card stock and then spray your model with a gloss coat sealer or fixative.
    I have even heard of people spraying Future floor polish on a model to make it shiny.
    I bought a big bottle of Future myself but I need to find a sprayer that will make a super fine mist to apply it, so I have not tried it yet.

If you do use photo paper, try to get the thin stuff. (Thin for photo paper)
    The main problem, or one of them, with photo paper is that you have to rough up any glue tabs with sandpaper or equivalent, to get the glue to stick.
    The model in the above picture was made out of 110lb card stock and sprayed with a couple coats of Acrylic Sealer. That gave it a good shiny finish.

I have just been wanting to try some photo paper for once.
    I enjoy trying all kinds of different things as I believe it makes me a better modeler in the long run.

I hope that helps you make a decision.:rolleyes:

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Another problem with photo paper is that when you roll it into curves it tends to crease *really* easily.

With the spray you need to be sure to spray it before windows are attached or find some way of covering them....
  11. Gazer

Gazer New Member

Thanks everyone. It sounds like card stock with a spray is the best idea for right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.