Hey everyone, need your input!

Hello everyone, i have a question for you all. Im building a 16' x 10' layout in my garage that is the shape of a rectangle. My garage is 22' x 24', sos i have plenty of room, so my question is this.... Would it be better to plan on operating the layout from the inside of the layout, or would i bennefit from operating it from the outside and around the layout? The reason im wondering is im thinking of attaching my backdrips to the inside of the layout and operating from the outside. Will i bennefit from doing this, or does it really matter? Is there any advantages of operating from the outside as opposed to the inside of the layout? Any opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
steve:thumb:

These are my personal preferences...

- I HATE layouts where you have to go through a duck-under (i.e. donut layouts). My back can't handle it, and I hate bumping my head. Donut layouts with lift-out sections aren't any better in my eyes due to the added complexity.

- Island layouts are somewhat better, but it's inefficient in terms of space usage.

- An around-the-walls layout with turnaround peninsulas suits me the best. No duckunders, good space usage.

Your mileage will vary, of course, but you want to consider those three things I mentioned: Ergonomics (by far the most important!), efficient space usage, and simplicity.

Good luck!

:wave: Thanks for the thought LongIslandTom, do you have any idea what size of a peninsula i would need for a turn around on each end? I would like to have around 30" radius curves as a minium. thanks!:D

I think if you want continuous running but don't like small-radius curves, perhaps you can save some space by hiding the return loops behind backdrop boards or under scenery? That way you can save space and not see the tight curves. You can go down to 18" radius loops in that case (assuming you are not running 18"-unfriendly engines such as 10-driver steamers or SD70MACs).

91rioja

For minimum 30" radius curves, you would need 60" for a 180 degree turn around. I would add at least 4" to each side, so a minimum of 68". Just my two cents. . .

Triplex

I suggest you build around the walls with center peninsula(s). This will allow a much greater percentage of your area to be layout without sacrificing aisle width. If, however, there is some reason you can't build against the walls, I would suggest a U-shaped layout.

Hello everyone, and thanks for the suggestions. BTW, what is an around the wall with center pennisula look like? Im sure i have the room. Thanks!:thumb:

fsm1000

Why not build a model of your model ahead of time so you can figure out what goes where etc. I show how to do that on my website if you wanna give it a try.
Just a thought.

Russ Bellinis

trainsteve2435 said:
Hello everyone, and thanks for the suggestions. BTW, what is an around the wall with center pennisula look like? Im sure i have the room. Thanks!:thumb:

Around the walls is built on shelves that are probably 2-2 1/2 feet wide mounted along the walls. The center peninsula then comes off a shelf section at a right angle and with a 30" minimum radius would make a 60" loop (68" wide benchwork to allow some benchwork between the train and the floor) and then returns to the layout at another section.

LIRRNEAL

Definately around the walls.

With 22 by 24 to work with you have a lot of options.

Imagine starting at one wall with a shelf 2-1/2 feet deep, then a 3 foot isle. On the other side of the same isle is a 5 foot penninsula, split down the middle with a scene divider into two 2-1/2 foot shelves. On the far side of that pennsinsula is another 3 foot isle. Another 5 foot penninsula, another 3 foot isle and then the final 2-1/2 foot shelf.

This adds up to 24 feet.

The penninsulas would come from opposite walls. at the end of each penninsula, they would need to baloon out to 6-1/2 feet, so at that point the asiles could be narrowed, the shelves opposite the baloon could be narrowed, or both.

One trip around the room is almost 150 feet of mainline.

Just my thoughts

Neal