Hey DOC!! Found one

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Beauty, eh? Great photo, Sarge 7. :thumb::thumb: That pretty much explains the whole operation: The snow loader appears to be self-powered, picking up the snow from the width of the track. Dual conveyors carry it back to the converted tender, where steam from that big pipe turns it into water. That makes a lot more sense than loading it into gondolas or re-distibuting it along the right-of-way, like I had originally supposed.
Thanks vey much for taking the time to track down the photo. I've added that site to my favourites, as there may be a future scratchbuilding project there. ;)

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
Sarge 7---thanks for all your efforts in finding this information aussie,much appreciated---hey Doc,that spare tender from #4193 might come in handy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

N

nachoman

I can't imagine these things were very efficient or very fast. My guess is they were only used to clear areas like yards or station platforms where there was no room to shove the snow off to the side.

Kevin

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
What's that old saying..? Slow is smooth... smooth is fast...

But I agree with the sentiment. Either a plow or one of these do-ma-hickies might do the job just as well...

ist2_2381368_vintage_railway_snowblower.jpg