Hey Deano, I got my FM!

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
The Walthers FM H12-44 I won on Ebay Germany a few days ago, was delivered today. I am glad that I could get one of those rare engines. It looks really sweet and is a good, smooth runner. The only thing I don’t like are the handrails – they are very thick. I think I’ll try to make new ones from .020 brass wire. That leads me to the list of things I want to do to make the loco look even better: move the horn from the side to the top, add auxiliary number boards, windscreen wipers, grab irons and a bell.

fm1.jpg

FM2.jpg

FM3.jpg

I am tempted to install a Loksound decoder when they release a sound file for 6 cyl. FMs. Deano :wave:, you are our expert for sound installations. What do you think, can I get a decoder and a speaker in if I remove the pc board, replace the light bulb with LEDs and cut off a part of the weight on top of the motor? I think it might be possible.

FMwithoutshell.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well I ain't Deano but,Yeow Sir! Great locomotive and every one I have seen or used at the club-I like 'em for switching the passenger terminal-has been very smooth runners.
I am still kicking myself for passing one up for $45.00 last year at a train show.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Larry, your reply is welcomed as well. I asked Deano for his advice before I placed a bid on this loco, because I knew that his Dad has two of them. I promised to post some pics when I got it.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Outstanding!!!

OUTSTANDING KURT!!!!!bounce7 I'M GLAD YOU GOT IT!!:D , and even HAPPIER YOU LIKE IT!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:. i thought you modeled Santa Fe? i think you might like the first pic i have posted;). Kurt, i hope you enjoy that FANTASTIC ENGINE!!!:thumb::D
:D -Deano View attachment 35165 View attachment 35166

Attachments

• h12-44 00.JPG
    h12-44 00.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 89
  • s.JPG
    s.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 87

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Deano, I like the first pic :wave: . Yes, you are right, I am modeling Santa Fe. But I decided to model a LA downtown scene, so some SP units may show up there too (Gives me the opportunity to buy some engines ATSF did not have :D ).

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
HEY! That looks familar! :) Here's another FM...still working for me in California! :)
F-MH-12-44sm.JPG

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi guys,
Those are some sweet looking engines...!!!
Kurt - Do those tracks run in front of the pawn shop?? I don't recall seeing them in your previous pics.
Deano, nice pair of workhorses...
Miles, as I scrolled down and got a look of the top half of your pic, I thought "another real loco picture..." Very good job with that scene...!!
:thumb:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Kurt, very cool looking loco you have there!

Deano, thank you for posting those pictures, especially the ATSF FM. I will be saving that one in my computer. Now I want an FM to repaint as a fictional BN loco

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Miles, you’ve got a sweet lookin’ engine – yeah, looks familiar somehow :D :D
Gus, no, those tracks do not run in front of the pawn shop. They end here at the cold storage. But in the third pic, you can see the pawn shop in the background. When I am through with wireing, I think I will start a thread on the progress of my layout and show a trackplan (still have to make a plan of the latest version of my layout – it is the third rebuild.)
Josh, Steven, thank you for your nice comments.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Beautiful engine Kurt...almost as beautiful as the teaser pics of your layout;)
Looking forward to that new thread:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
I Cant Wait!!!

cnw1961 said:
...I think I will start a thread on the progress of my layout...
WOW!!!:eek: Kurt, i am REALLY looking forward to this!!!:D ...have you started it yet?...how about now...OK, NOW...OH CRIPES KURT, JUST START IT NOW!:D
:D -Deano

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, Deano, hey, you really read my posts :D :D :D . You still have to wait until I can start this thread. But don’t expect too much as I am still in the early stages of building the scenery.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Kurt...It's not the size or completeness that matters...It's the quality of work you do that'll keep us glued to the "puter...

Get it going...!!!