Hey, can you dift witha 4wd nitro car and how

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by SIC SLKIER, Jul 5, 2004.

1. SIC SLKIER

SIC SLKIER Guest

Hey, can you dift witha 4wd nitro car and how, could someone plz help me out i need to no how i can dift with this 4wd nitro car :mrgreen:
  2. Rocket-Russ

Rocket-Russ Guest

Yes you can but and its a big but it will damage your clutch. If you dont mind replacing clutches just use the pvc tyres i say pvc because it can take a bit more hammer than the abs and with the car being nitro it will take much more of a beating.
  3. SIC SLKIER

SIC SLKIER Guest

hey

hey, how could that damge my clutch
    dude
  4. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

because, its just like a real car basicly. Think of drifting an automatic more or less... puts wear on the clutch like a mug
  5. Yertle

Yertle Guest

I personaly havent had any problems with my clutch, Ive been drifting my nitro for about 7 months now and Im still on my first one. but then again I still have the standard plastic/nylon gears so if you have aloy or c/f ones that may make a diffrence

I dunno if this is any help to ya but I dont have any camber on the front and bucketloads on the back and I can drift with rubber tires on all the rims with no problems, just make sure you locktite the screws holding the engine on otherwise you'll be changing gears faster than tires!!! (learnt the hard way)
  6. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Just a question... what made you go with rear camber?!? Its better in the front........
  7. Rocket-Russ

Rocket-Russ Guest

Less grip from the rear tyres is the only reason i can see for adjusting rear camber but i would have thought it would have made it much harder to control ? I maybe wrong :?:

Your clutch will suffer due to constant weight transfer and the engine basically thinking its time to up gear due to high rpm and the clutch is controled by centrifugal force so mid drift it may pop up a gear. i guess it depends on alot of factors really mainly car set up and engine type.
  8. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Ya. Im not exactly sure on how or why it works like that, but ill get the awnser soon as ill ask a drifter.

Also, if you have a 2 gear, it may be better to just drop it to one...
  9. mfzero

mfzero Guest

I'm about to replace the 3 year old clutch in my nitro and the break in period will be learning how to drift the thing :wink: :D
  10. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Thats one way to destory your clutch. It will spool up and slip so many times that when it does start catching its going to break. Just do a normal break in... then learn to drift.
  11. Yertle

Yertle Guest

I tried cambering the front wheels and it just reduced the amount I could turn into each corner..... I get heaps better angles on my drifts without the front camber and the backend stays out for heaps longer with the rear camber. I also have realy soft front suspension in the front and only about 1mm of travel in the back.... The car drifted like a dream till I snapped a rear suspension arm and jammed up my rear diff....

I only have a single speed gearbox but the 2 speed sounds mad when it drifts coz its constantly jumping betweend the gears. :D Sounds so loud and tuff!
  12. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Im working on finding a 2 speed for electric cars. I know they make one, but i cant find it... i want to try and combine 2 or 3 of them for like 4 gears. Iv seen a T maxx with 4 gears...

And with the camber, as i always say, some people have diffrent ways. Just most have best luck with the standard front and whatnot. Like, i drift fine with my current set up, its my race set up. Soft rears, hard fronts, and lil to no camber.
  13. jareb

jareb Guest

clutch burning from drifting?

I not sure how you have been burning your clutch just by drifting, I understand your reasoning for thinking that it hurt your clutch but I dont believe thats correct, If your using pvc for tires than your clutch will achieve lock up much quicker when drifting because your tires are the only part that is sliding against anything, If anything your clutch gets more abuse driving on a regular road circuit than drifting, in regular driving your car has plenty of grip and the clutch has to slip more to overcome the inertia of the cars weight from a stop or slow speed, every time you slow down then get back on the gas your clutch is slipping for a short period of time. if you drift the tires will be doing the majority of slipping. I have been drifting a Nitro 4tec with the 3.3cc motor for about 4months and the only thing thats worn out was the body on the car where I hit some curbs with it, Another tip anyone that wants to drift nitro make sure you run your engine just a tad on the rich side. hope this helps
  14. si9ma25

si9ma25 Guest

im looking for a 4wd single gearbox drift setup. but i cant find any kits online, can anyone help me out over here? i get a buncha cash on christmas so with my christmas money im gonna pour it into a drift RC.
  15. jareb

jareb Guest

hey si9ma do you mean a single speed 4wd. Most of the touring cars come with single speed trannies unless they are nitro. but the cars that actually have gearboxes like shaftdrive have two seperate boxes. the only cars I know of that use a single gearbox are two wheel drive. just look up any hobby shop online. Most of the cars arent labeled as drift cars but any 4wd touring car can drift with the right tires and setup. Yokomo,Tamiya,Hpi all make drift tires and touring cars.
  16. DarkOne427

DarkOne427 Guest

I have a factory NTC3 that I use to drift with, rubber tires, origional clutch and havn't broken anything yet, cept 1 rim when i side swipped a curb. However I do usually only drift in parkades with polished concrete, they slide real nice on that stuff :D