Heresy in the ranks

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Willja67, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I fully expect to take some flak for this one but I'm in need and this is to help my brother cause blood does run thicker than ca(sorry couldn't resist:cry: ).

My brother is doing a pretty big project for his college class and has asked me to build a model of the Arizona(the Revell one:oops: ) and it's going to be sitting in a tub of water for quite awhile. So I need to know how to seal the hull so it doesn't leak and what paints might be best (water proof) and any other tips you gents might offer.

I know that many of us come from plastic modeling backgrounds (myself included) so I beg your help and ask you to overcome any repressing that has gone on:twisted: .
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

My Two cents.......

1. If it's in the water for any time, you may want to consider filling the hull with some type of foam for flotation. That way if any water leaks in, and it will leak in, the ship will still float. You will have to weight it some to get it to sit right, but the foam will displace most of the water that's going to get in.

2. Paint, any GOOD modeling paint will do. Testers, etc

3. Leave enough room in the foam for firecrackers............. when it over you can have some fun with the plastic boat, because building it in plastic won't be as fun as paper:grin: :twisted:

3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Firecrackers, my aunt Fanny.....nothing short of M-80s!!!!! Seal any joints in the hull with canning wax (parafin) before adding the foam.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The handymans secret weapon, duct tape.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Use Aquarium silicone to glue the hull and top joints together. It's a little messy but if you tape the edges with masking tape before joining it becomes much easier to cut off the resulting seam flash. Be sure to ballast the hull before putting on the deck and superstructure.

P.S. Give us the jist of what the project is all about. I'm curious. If you tell us we will forgive the transgression.
  6. modelincard

modelincard Member

Can't help you with the hull, but I find Tamiya paint to be good (colorwise and waterproof), and better than Testors.
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The project has to do with creativity in a historical context. I'm not exactly sure how much I can reveal about the project right now but it has to be done in a month so maybe when it's done I'll post some pics cause if my brother makes it as goods as he's described his plans for it, it'll be pretty impressive. I will say that it involves automation using PLC's and a soundtrack and a few other things.
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Let's see; a spoof on the technical merits of the flick, "Pearl Harbor". Really enjoyed seeing all those pointy nosed ships from the 1940's. The casts recreational drug therapy program must have butchered the special effects budget which ended up that way also.

By PLC I take it that Programmable Logic Controllers in the form of track cameras will be used to "fly" the approach to the Arizona. The Arizona model will then act as an in place matte model which will be replaced with a 3D model in post production work. Is he going to use Adobe's After Effects?

Uh, just guessing...,

9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

That would be pretty cool but about the only part you got right was the definition of PLC. Sorry you'll just have to wait.:grin: