Here's one of mine ...

This is a recent kitbash of mine, a Milwaukee Road 1950's station. I do not own a dgital camera, so had a friend take this for me.

Attachments

• milw depot 2.jpg
    milw depot 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 220

Clerk

Wow.....Great picture.. ..I worked in a station just like that. I would be sitting behind the bay windows typing train orders. Then if I had time put them in the thingy (forgot what we called them) dash outside climb the pole and mount them for the engineer and conductor. If the engine was almost on top of me, I jamed them in a wye, dash outside and handed them up to the engineer and conductor. Nothing like standing next to the track with a monstor comint at you . I got nicked more than once.

Drew1125

That is one fine looking station, G.L.L.!
Excellent work!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I really like the interior detail, & the open window sashes are a perfect touch!
Is it a Walthers kit?
HO scale?

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, it is HO. It began life as an American Model Builders LASER-kit for a Northern Pacific station. That design pretty closely resembles many Milwaukee Road stations in Wisconsin and Illinois. An old acquaintance asked me to build this and an interlocking tower (Walthers) for him. The job got delayed by some recurring medical problems I suffer as a result of an old Navy injury. In the meantime, his health, which had kept him from building them himself, deteriorated. He eventually had to leave the hobby. The two buildings are being auctioned on eBay right now. They are Items #3148526560 and #3148526583. A much fuller item description can be found there. One word about the auction items--they are described as "Pro-Built". I am a "pro" only in the sense that I have built a number of layouts and models for friends and a hobby shop or two. Again, thanks for the several compliments! --Stu--

Question for "Clerk"

Which road did you work for, and when? Most of us are always interested in hearing from someone who has had the experience! --Stu--

Clerk

Stu.....I worked for the Suffrin, er, I mean the Southern Pacific as Telegrapher clerk from 1955 to 1965 on the Shasta Division.( Ashland and Klamath Falls, Or. to Altural Cal east and west. Ashland, Klamath Falls, Or to Gerber, Ca., North and South. I have worked every station on the division at some time or other.

Check the thread "Trains in the back yard"

Originally posted by jon-monon
Very nice, Stu, how is the interior flooring done?

The flooring in the waiting rooms and office is made of individually cut pieces of Kappler 1 x 6 or 1 x 8--I forget which. The boards were stained (English Oak) before cutting. Each was glued in place with Tite-Bond II (reg. TM) wood glue. The interior wainscoting was done next, so the floorboard ends do not have to be exact. The freight/baggage room floor is a piece of scribed sheathing glued down and stained with a dark wood stain followed by Floquil Driftwood. Finally, it was lightly sanded to show wear. Were I to do it over again, I would have used a more honey-colored stain first on the freight/baggage room floor.

Thank you all for your kind words. --Stu--