Here's My Plan

t29meen

Apr 10, 2003
Thornton, CO
Visit site
Been lurking around the gauge for a couple months and thought it was time to ask for some input.

I'm modeling HO scale on a 4.5' x 8' table on wheels. Like the twice around for the continous running but also want industries.

Don't want it flat 'cause that's boaring. Pink line in image is an elevated shelf 3.5" above the a loop that connects. Maximum 4% grade.

I have the table built and the lower loop almost complete. :D

Any comment or suggestions?

Tim

Attachments

• anth8esm.jpg
    anth8esm.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 353

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Tim - I'll throw out a couple of things to think about.

It looks like you grade will be mostly on curves. This will make a 4% grade "feel" much steeper to your locomotives. You might want to see if that will give you problems before you get too deeply commited. The good news is it looks like you can reduce the 3-1/2" elevation change without a lot of trouble since you don't have any track going under the raised portion.

I'd also suggest taking a copy of your track plan and going through several operational scenerios on paper to make sure you can service all of the locations without too much hassle (a little hassle makes it interesting, a lot makes it frustrating!) For example, can you drop off a car at an industry withut having to push it all the way around a loop?

billk

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome to the Gauge t29meen.
Interesting plan but as Billk says check out what he suggests.
If it was me, I would try to fit another passing track on the north side to help switching and the ability to run two trains.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Tim,

If I understand your plan correctly, I think the two "ends" that lead up to the pink line actually connect underneath (?). billk's suggestion may still be possible if you lower the track running underneath. That way you "split the difference". You will have one loop going up at 2%, and the other going down at 2% to retain the required clearance.

If you don't want to do that, you might stick with an old steam theme - 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s, none of the "big boys" or really heavy steam. That way, you tend to pull shorter trains, with locos with short wheel bases, 30 - 40 foot cars, and that lessens the "curved-grade" effect billk mentioned.

Good luck. And welcome! - the Gauge people are really friendly and have lots of helpful suggestions.

Andrew

t29meen

Apr 10, 2003
Thornton, CO
Visit site
Andrew,

You are correct the two ends do meet under the shelf I am also one step ahead of you in that the lower loop does decend at 2% with the uper loop accending at 4%. With the limited space this still does not give me the required 3" of clearance under the shelf but rather 2.75" which I can live with (hence the notches in the shelf to gain as much as possible).

I am planning to run 4 axle diesels with 5 - 6 cars. I have mocked up the 4% curves and the diesels don't seem to mind too much.

Like the idea of passing siding on the north and will try to fit it in.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Tim

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The industrial spurs at the top contain both trailing point and facing point switches, you will need a run around track nearby to work those industries without having to run around the layout to move your locomotive to the back of a car at the bottom of the layout.