Here's a Tip (sort of)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bowdenja, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ok the tip is........... move finger BEFORE knife gets there.

I was using a ruler (clear plastic) to cut the leading edge on one of the wings to ModelArts' Mustang guessed it. My finger was over the edge and the knife found the tip of my middle finger. It is now shorter by about 1/64 of inch and missing a piece about the size of a smoked almond. The piece is somewhere in my neat work area cause I was not looking when I jumped screamed a curse word and walked rather briskly to the bathroom (loo for you guys across the water)

My tip is DON'T use a clear plastic ruller for cutting. Normally I use a small 6" metal ruler as a guide but I've missplaced it on my normal neat work space. Ha!

Yes this is the same finger that had just gotten well from my jig-saw accident. I'm just glad it doesn't have legal representation or I'd be looking at a big law suit or at least being sued for stupidity.

Anyway I'm probably the only knuckle-head that has removed part of a finger trying to build a paper airplane BUT just in case please remeber this you don't lose one of yours!

METAL to go and get another METAL ruler now.

Sorry about the typing know
  2. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Thanks for the tip! I did get a nasty cut with my exato knife when I was making L 11 for the JRTC competition. I was cutting a hole in a paper holding my finger underneath the paper, guess how deep the knife went passing the paper?
    Anyways, this is a dangerous hobby, you know....
  3. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

You would think in this hobby the paper cut would be king. Long live the #11 cut. Sorry must be the pain killers could not resist. But hay, I bet my cut is bigger than yours. But then I was out like a light when mine was done. Sorry John I hope you get too feeling better. Also did you check for the last tetanus shot? ;)
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Westcott manufacturers an extruded aluminum ruler that has a ridge for gripping on it's spine. It's sold through many of the office supply stores. Look for Westcott item number 13617. The edge does get nicked if you're not careful but it does a magnificent job of one, keeping the fingers away from the cut and two, allows more downward force to be exerted to maintain alignment. The cost? Around $5.00. I use 1500 grit sandpaper to "shine" up the edge every so often by placing the sandpaper on a pane of glass and running the ruler edge across it a few times.

Take it easy on the finger and keep it clean, dry and bandaged.

Best regards, Gil
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Guys thanks for the concern. It's really not bad........just look sworse than it is. Just one of those things where people ask........stitches?? And you have to say......... the piece fell off.........nothing to stitch back......just help me with the Band-Aid.

Gil.......... I'm on it like white on rice!

Dave........ Glad your back. Everything went OK?

Tetanus shot still good.......from when I shot a finishing nail through the SAME HAND! Really I'm not accident prone.......really..........REALLY! OK maybe just a little.............I blame it on old age....the wind.........whatever!

Dimas........ been there......... done that......... got the T-shirt!

Oh and Dave...........It was the ModelArt Mustang I was working on.......... when you get better let me know how the wheel wells on yours do...........mine kinda don't match up. I most build planes wheels up so I don't have too much experience with the wells so it could just be me.

Later planes to build.........finger to .....ummm not cut..........<good fingers crossed!>

6. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Sorry to hear about the casualty.
    But the real question here is how many parts did you have to reprint because of the blood stains? :lol:
  7. Maharg

Maharg Member

Ouch! I felt that John...sympathy M8.

8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I hope that you do get to felling well. I am doing great. I am going to try to do some cutting today. The doctor said I should be fine as long as I keep the righ arm below my head. He said the pressure of pushing down on the knife might cause some pain. But I will not know until I do it. But here is a picture of the bottom of my P-51. Yes mine did not line up either. But my wife told me that might be where Dr. Z intended the gear doors to be attached. I hate to say this but I think she might be right. (Repeat this to now one I will deny it.) But here is a picture.
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

VERY Good news to hear Dave. :D

I'm glad that will not interfere too much with important things such as modeling! :lol: Really glad things went well! :D

Good news :D .... it ain't me on the wheel wells fit..........BAD news :oops: .......mine still doesn't look at fantastic as yours! (not really bad news) :D

I won't tell.......... but let her know that I was thinking that too! :D

Got to give them a boost every now and then! 8)
  10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

This was my second set of wheel wells. I had to pull the first ones off. I did not get it lined up right on the centerline. It looked really bad. So this is the second set of wings but I managed to save the wing frame from damage. Sorry to hear that was not you problem. I did one wing root and the pain is just a little much to bear. So I will try again in a few days. Also the pain killers are making me just a bit tipsy so we might end up with half a mustang and half a shuttle. But on the look you have to remember. We are our worst crittics. I look at some of the planes out their and wish, I could build them that good. But it all takes time.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well here is mine so far
  12. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

It looks just fine. You even have the tabs that were confusing me in the same place. So we must be on the right track.
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Older members will remember me dropping my Swann Morton so it went 'DOIOIOIOINGGGGGG' into my ankle. I sympathise! Maybe we need a equivalent of a Purple Heart for those members who have been wounded in the course of their modelmaking efforts....

Tim P
  14. charliec

charliec Active Member

I'm reminded of the safety rule pounded into our thick heads when I worked
    in heavy industry - "Never put part of you in front of a sharp edge or something which can move". Must have worked because in 3 years in a steel mill we never had a crush injury - plenty of burns though. Never thought the rule would apply to cardmodels but it seems to.

15. shrike

shrike Guest

Insert the name of the project you were working on in the campaign bar[/img]
  16. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

ROFLMAO!!! :lol:
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Instead of the Xacto and Scissors how about a Red Cross? The name of the Medal should be the "EMRR" for Emergency Medical Response Required. Once awareded the wearer becomes a member of the "Order of the Betadine"...,

Just a thought, Gil

P.S. Maybe the ribbon should be red and white stripes?
  18. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Shrike.... Do you mean like this!!!!!

PS If you use the "frogy picture posting thingy" ... you don't have to log-in, to see the pictures!! ... HINT... HINT!!
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Good idea! We could add them to the avitars to help identify the un-lucky ones.

Kevin G..........missed the post..........NO parts repinted......... I did the natural thing of putting the finger in my mouth. I jumped up when I realized that there were two pieces.

Finger is healing very well..........Triple Antibiotic does wonders!
  20. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

If you didnt have to reprint any parts I really don't see what all the fuss is about! :roll:

Glad to hear the finger is healing well. Your build looks really nice so far dont be stingy with the pics when you get it finished.