Here we go! Gotta start somewhere.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I must have posted this in another thread. Here it is again. This is what I have planned to fill the gap.

Attachments

• longer plan zoomed.jpg
    longer plan zoomed.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 471

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
3' extension takes shape

Well, progress has slowed a bit but the three foot extension is starting to take shape and look like something. One great thing about this extension is that it has allowed me to reduce all but one of my 4% grades down to 2%. It was a little complicated to figure out as I already had most of them laid and covered with cork but with some minor demolition in some areas and some creativity in others, I managed, and I think my trains will be much happier in the long run!

DCP_5292_low_res.jpg

DCP_5290_low_res.jpg

DCP_5291_low_res.jpg

w8jy

Mar 21, 2007
Au Gres, Michigan
The best tutorial I have encountered, as well as the best layout and scenery work. I am putting together my first N scale layout and am finding it a lot tougher than HO. Your work crew must be a lot bigger and more energetic than mine - the progress is amazing!
Keep those postings coming. I am getting a great, painless education!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
One of my friends asked me the other day how much experience I had at building model train layouts. I had to think about it, but I finally came up with a number... 11 layouts of various types and sizes. I built my first layout down the side of my bedroom when I was 8 years old. Some of them made it from start to finish while others barely made it out of the concept stage. I have used many different construction methods over the years but I have to say that there are a lot of "firsts" for me on this layout. Some firsts on this layout have been...
1. the use of foam
2. DCC
3. Track weathering
4. Backdrops
5. Fascia boards
I'm sure there are others but it just goes to show that I am learning right alongside of you! The biggest one has got to be building with foam. It's a whole different world but I am very pleased with the results and it makes track work sooooo much easier.

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
Looking good TN. Keep up the great work you are doing. and Keep the pic's posted so we can enjoy this with you as you build

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Recently I was wandering around the fabric store and found a great deal on some old curtain fabric. Today, my wife helped me sew it into 5 panels and we temporarily tacked it in place. What an improvement. Now you can't see the ferocious mess that resides behind on the shelves.

DCP_5442_low_res.jpg

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
That looks really good! I am going to have to do something like that myself. It makes it look much better then seeing the mess we leave doesnt it. LOL :)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Ain't that the truth! Trouble is, before I could find whatever I needed with just a glance. Now, I actually have to put some work into finding what I need. Example... I "cleaned" last night and now I can't find my paint brush. Looked high and low (literally) and can't seem to figure out where it went.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
It's one of the little known secrets of paint brushes...All those little bristles that help you paint so well, turn into little legs at night, which enable tthe brush to find itself a nice hiding place...:D

Great layout, BTW...!! :thumb:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I received this little beauty in the mail last week and now I just need to lay the track for the reverse loop and get some wires underneath to that part of the table so I can wire it in.

DCP_5444_low_res.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
ooooh perty DCC chip! great layout trainnut,that 3 foot REALLY makes a cool difference! cant wait to see more of this take shape! :thumb: --josh

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've made a little progress on the new section and here and there. Terrain, some roads, grass and a little rockwork are some of the new additions. You can see the foundations for quite a few new buildings that still have yet to be built. They're on the to do list but I envision a little town developing nicely. I've also come across some old ceiling tiles and have broken them to form jagged edges and I have been experimenting with that. I'm not quite sure how to paint them. The ones in the pictures have received one coat of Earthcoat brown and seem to have taken no change. Maybe I'll add some grey and try to make it look like Shale. I dunno. I like the results so far...

DCP_5471_low_res.jpg

DCP_5473_low_res.jpg

DCP_5474_low_res.jpg