Here we go! Gotta start somewhere.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I sat here stairing at those pictures for five minutes before I realized my mouth was hanging open.

I'm very jelous. Hopefully I can incorporate something half that size into my future project.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
This photo was my inspiration. It's a highway crossing the Rio Grande just outside of Taos, New Mexico. Of course, I used my artistic embellishment and modified it somewhat. & I will have much more vegetation. I dunno.... we'll have to see how it develops.

Attachments

• DCP_2290 copy.jpg
    DCP_2290 copy.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 795

Matthew Mahling

Sep 22, 2006
Did they give you a bulk discount on all that foam or just a charge account?
Your foam stacking on the layout is almost as awe inspiring as that excellent reference photo you have supplied.
Can't wait to see this progress..

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
ezdays said:
You've got canyons there that are at least 150' deep. I'm really jelous that I don't have the room to do something like that.:wave:
I hope you're going to take pictures as you progress.
Right you are Don. The depths from my bridges ranges from 8 to 10 inches which equals an N scale range of 106 to 133 feet.
I don't see why you can't do it also. The whole canyon section only takes up 21.5"wide by 28" deep by 10" down. It's not that big. Illusion my friend... illusion.
Yes, I definitely want to update with pictures. Should I keep them all in this thread thus having the potential of ending up with a thread a zillion pages long or should I post a new thread with each update (such as "gotta start somewhere. Here we go 10-18-6"?)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Matthew Mahling said:
Did they give you a bulk discount on all that foam or just a charge account?
Funny you should say that! I have not used that much foam. What you don't see are the big holes within the structure where I just used spacers to keep from using so much foam. I think I am up to 6 sheets of 2'x8'. I only expect to need 2 more for the second level of the long leg. The rest, I will build up using newspaper and Woodland Scenics plastercloth. I may be up to $200 so far for the entire layout (lumber, cork, foam, wheels, screws, etc.)

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My width is 10" across the top and I was wondering if I should use 5 of the same bridges or break it up by using different kinds.
Use different kinds for at least some of them. You can have, say, two the same, but five the same will look boring.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Just a photo update...

Attachments

• DCP_4356.jpg
    DCP_4356.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 773
  • DCP_4357.jpg
    DCP_4357.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 763
  • DCP_4358.jpg
    DCP_4358.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 781

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
When I built my last layout I had a section of foam that was supported on 3 corners (it was triangular shaped in the corner of my L-shaped layout) so it bridged an area of about 12-14 inches. Not unlike what you see in the photos above. Compaired to the fully supported areas it was extremely noisy. This area was not at all sceniked, so I can't tell you if it would have been quiet, but it sure didn't seem like it would be.

Just a heads up.

It was also in HO.

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
Wow, that canyon's just about as large as I've seen on a layout that size. VERY impressive. And the description was a little clearer than mud. it'll look AWFULLY impressive when it's all in place, even without being completely scenic'd, the bridges with the foam look pretty cool I think. Keep it coming!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Comment: I think railroads tended to put most of the bridge under the track unless there were clearance or construction issues. Think about using the truss bridgeeither at the lowest point or if one trach is close to another.
John Allen built a mountainside where he had a pile of bridges going up and each one was different.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
TrainNut
What a great job you're doing! That canyon is going to be a wonderful focal point!:thumb: I'm planing a small canyon (ravine) that goes down below the bench work....but nothing like that! I love the idea of multiple bridges.:thumb: :thumb: GOOD STUFF! keep posting:wave:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Great looking design TN, very impressive. :thumb: Thought I might share an idea that I came up with on a design I came up with several years ago. On the back wall of the canyon position a mirror that reflects the hidden back curve of the canyon. It will give the illusion of more depth. Don't know if that would work with yours, just a thought. :wave:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Nahhhh, the image with all the Kato bridges was just a little Photoshop magic to give me an idea of what it could look like. Since then, due to some thinking of my own and some advice of others, I have decided to break it up a little. In the following pictures, you can see kind of where I am at now with the three bridges. The other two bridges (not in the picture) are very close but different elevations. I was thinking of trying to bash some sort of a Californian concrete arch design for both bridges (not sure how to go about this just yet). I dunno yet - work in progress!

I like the mirror idea. I've always liked the way the mirrors work but it takes some trickery to make 'em look just right... for me it does anyways. I will continue to think on this idea. Right now, towards the back, my canyon takes a sharp hook to the right and then peters out into nothing out of sight. I'm gonna have to think about where to place that mirror to make it look just right.

As you can also see, the left leg has been under development as well this week. I've pretty much gotten all the major pieces of foam cut and the rest of the terrain forming will be done with newspaper and WS plaster cloth. Currently, I am cutting pieces to act as supports for the second and third level.

Up on the third level towards the left end where I used to have the dead end branch into the mine, I have decided to be brave and attempt to add a very tight radius (8") reverse loop. I think that will improve mine operations instead of having to stop on the main and back all the way up that grade to the mine (or some kind of industry... haven't decided for sure just yet).

Thanks all for the comments. I thrive on that kind of stuff and it is really neat to get feedback.

Attachments

• bridge overview.jpg
    bridge overview.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 691
  • under bridges.jpg
    under bridges.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • left end.jpg
    left end.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 704
  • overall left side.jpg
    overall left side.jpg