Here I go!

OwenCPR

Well, I thought I'd better join the fray (and after several requests) and try and post some pics on my layout. Much against my better judgement as I am the shy retiring type and quite self conscious given the quality of work found on this forum.

I posted the following info on my layout:

"Actually, my layout (13' x 6' in a U shape) loosely represents the Kettle Valley and Crowsnest Pass.....with a lot of licence thrown in! Still in the benchwork / tracklaying stages. I kid myself that the "Canadian" runs through instead of going through Kicking Horse Pass pulled by my E8s. Will try to build up a fleet of Budd cars by Kato and Con Cor but they are becoming scarcer by the day!

I love first and early second generation diesels - especially C Liners (had the pleasure to hop on the one in the Alyth Yards that belongs in High River) and want to run long C Liner, FM Trainmaster and FA-1 Coal units through the mountains."

Attachments

• dscf0104.jpg
    dscf0104.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 435

OwenCPR

Ok......stay with me as the digital camera I'm working with isn't that good.

Shot of the engine house. I know the Geep is out of place (colour scheme and chop nose) given I model the 50s/ 60s and the Maroon colour scheme, but it is such a nice custom model (I can't take credit for it unfortunately) that I leave it on the layout for the moment!

Attachments

• dscf0110.jpg
    dscf0110.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 418

OwenCPR

My pride and joys.....CP E8's 1800 and 1802 with CP C Liner A+B set. At the far left is my old Atlas / Riverossi B & O E8 which I intend to repaint the shell as CP 1801 and repower or convert to a dummy loco as it runs like a dog!

Attachments

• dscf0109.jpg
    dscf0109.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 423

OwenCPR

Alco FA1 A & B

The C Line and Alcos are Life Like and run ok. Am not looking forward to milling and installing decoders in the near future. The Kato E8s were a breeze with the plug and play decoders.

Attachments

• dscf0108.jpg
    dscf0108.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 416

OwenCPR

Engine house with Trainmaster sticking its nose out. THis was my first attempt at model building since I was 12 years old.!

Attachments

• dscf0111.jpg
    dscf0111.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 409

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Looking good Owen. I really like those CP colours. Will look forward to seeing more of your layout as it develops. You are off to a fine start. Don't be shy though as everyone here will support you.

OwenCPR

Thanks Robin. I'm a big fan of the early CP colour scheme and diesels but also love the modern diesels and new colours (not so big on the multi mark era but I don't want to offend anyone - each to their own!) Am fortunate to live in a town with the main CP north south line out of Calgary just a block and a half away so I get to see some impressive loco power come through (with the odd UP lease attached!)

SD90

Nice work Owen, I'll have to get out someday and see your layout in person! I love layouts in the planning/construction stage it's like a blank page! Is the GP9 chop nose one of the new life likes? I like it!

Mike.

OwenCPR

Mike,

Will reply to your email tonight when I get home.

The GP9 is the Life Like and custom painted and detailed. I bought it used from Trains and Such. Doesn't run as well as the Kato and Atlas but I think this is more a product of my not having given it a good cleaning and maintenance workout.

SD90

That GP9 looks good! I have 4 of those waiting to be painted, I did one so far, it runs good, but no decoder yet.

Mike.

shamus

Registered Member
Hello Owen,
Welcome to the gauge, nothing to be shy about those photos my friend. You have at least started to build your layout which turns into realms of fantasy sometime in the future.:thumb:
Shamus

SD90

Hey Owen, here is a shot of the GP9 I did, my first attempt at painting on my own, we should pair them up sometime, and get some pictures!

150.jpg

Mike.

OwenCPR

Looks great Mike. I'm going to practice painting a few old box cars before tackling my old B & O E8 as a first loco. I need to sharpen up my skills with the old airbrush.

Rhetorical question - I assume you are going to Supertrain?

OwenCPR

Mike, I know I've seen a link on one of your earlier threads on where you buy your locos and rolling stock (somewhere in the US) but do you buy locally in AB?

I usually stop by Hobby Wholesale from Edmonton at Supertrain as they discount mainly the Life Like locos quite substantially - picked up the C Liner combo for around $100CAD instead of the usual $160 last year - am hoing to pick up three more units this year at the same prices!

cpNscale

Great job with your layout.How large is it overall,looking forward on seeing more details as your progress further