Henshel HS-132 Dive Bomber

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by eric_son, Oct 4, 2008.

1. eric_son

eric_son Member

I'm baaaaack from the dead!

After a long hiatus, I finally got back to card modeling. It's been a long long time since I've fired up Metasequoia and Pepakura once more. So long that I couldn't properly unfold my unfinished HE P.1079. I'll have to get back to that in later on. Instead, I decided to relearn Meta and Pepakura using the HS132.

I'm done with the mesh, but have a long way to go with finishing the skinning.
    For the skins, ditched GIMP in favor of Inkscape. I found it far more efficient for this kind of work.

Here's my test un-fold via Pepakura v3.0. By the way, for those who use Pepakura, if you haven't done so yet, I strongly recommend you upgrade to v3.0. The 10US$ upgrade price immediately pays for itself once you get to use the new Reload Model feature. This new feature allows you to reload the 3D model without having to re-unfold and re-layout the parts of the model. I think that feature alone was worth the 10US$ upgrade price.

I guess that's it for now.
  2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Welcome back! Glad to see you designing again and looking forward to this one!
  3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

very cool!!
  4. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Hey. Don't totally ditch GIMP yet. Inkscape is VERY good, and useful, but the one are you'll probably have trouble exporting to PDF is anything that smacks of a feathered edge - camouflage for example. If your model has any feathered or spray-painted camouflage, you will probably have to revert to GIMP.

5. eric_son

eric_son Member

Yep, I'm not totally ditching GIMP yet. :) Maybe I'll go back to GIMP when I've honed my skills enough to worry about preserving high details on the texture.

I'm relying on Pepakura and CutePDF to generate the PDF output. Also, for now, I'm only using Inkscape to edit the UVMaps for skinning.
  6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Also, GIMP 2.6 was just released and has some new useful features.

7. eric_son

eric_son Member

Skinning done!

Just need to find time to do a test build. I've been very busy with work lately. :(

I also need do the small bomb and bomb rack to complete the model.

I chose the STAB/1STG 2 markings.
  8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

looks really good! nicely done!
  9. eric_son

eric_son Member

Test Build

Found some time to do a test build.

The test build is really sloppy. I didn't even bother to color the edges of the paper, much less use the right amount of glue. In some areas, you'll find glue discoloring the printer ink. In some cases the fit was somewhat bad. This is the first time for me to attempt to incorporate formers and bulkheads in my design. But then again, this is a test build and the sole purpose is to find if the design is sound. :)

I promise to do a cleaner build when I get the time. Hehehehe. :twisted:

By the way... is there something wrong with the User Gallery of Zealot? I've been having a very hard time uploading my pictures.

Anyway... here it goes.

The Engine
    No problems here.

The Engine Mounting Rack
    When I assembled my first He162 kit from Marek, I had a really hard time mounting the engine to the fuselage because of the less than desirable design of the engine mount. For my Hs132, I wanted to experiment by making a sturdy engine mount that would more or less give me less headaches and ensure better alignment.

Test Fitting the Engine
    Fits perfectly! And very sturdy.

Part of the fuselage
    Here's the fuselage partly completed.

Fuselage with Engine
    Another test fitting with the Engine, Engine Rack and Fuselage. So far the fit is good.

I guess that's it for now. :)
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thats coming alomg really good!
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

just looked and youre pictures are in the gallery so it must be working. the forum has been fairly difficult to navigate of late.
  12. eric_son

eric_son Member

When I try to visit the gallery, I sometimes get an incomplete page.
    Also, when I try to upload a picture, the site will tell me that the pictures have been uploaded but when I check the album, nothing's there. Anyway, on my last try, it worked. :)
  13. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Looking better and better!
  14. eric_son

eric_son Member

Nasty Bulkheads

A little progress....

I got to assemble the tail section and the elevators.

Prior to that, I encountered a nasty problem with the formers/bulkhead. I didn't know how to estimate the paper thickness from META. It turned out that my formers were a tad too big causing the paper to become severely deformed.

Ignore the gaps between the engine, engine rack and fuselage...they're just dry fitted. Those should close up when I finally glue them together. I also still need to make a lot of adjustments. I should have left out the skinning for this alpha build and saved colored printer ink in the process. :(
  15. eric_son

eric_son Member

Almost done!

Assembling the Wings
    Wing formers fit quite well!

Attaching the wings to the fuselage
    I took a gamble on using only 1 former to do the job of ensuring the wings are properly aligned. Good thing it worked. :)

Wings attached
    Leaving the top of the fuselage open for the engine rack allowed me to stick my fingers in and push the sides of the fuselage towards the wing.

Engine rack attached
    So far so good...

AWWW MAN! This is embarrassing! I got the hakenkreutz backwards! I did this alpha build to find errors in design... who'd have thought that I'd also find problems in the insignias. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Engine mounted

Arrghh... slight misalignment. It must have been caused by the warped paper due to using too much glue.

Wheel Wells

All that's left are the landing gears and a visit to INKSCAPE to correct those hakenkreutzes. :mrgreen:
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good so far. At least you are correcting the error. Some other designers leave it backwards!
  17. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

It looks good. The Luft '46 stuff is very cool.
  18. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

wow i love it! could you tell us how you scaled the formers for paper thickness? did you do it in meta? what number did you use in the scale option? example did you scale it by
    .98,.97 or what? ive been trying to figure it out for a while now.

again really fantastic work!
  19. eric_son

eric_son Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. :)

RE: Formers
    Yes, I used META. For now, I have not yet done any scale adjustments on the formers. On the alpha build, I cut the formers inside the printed line. I guess that did the trick...a bit.
    For some reason, I didn't have any problems with the wing formers.
    However I had a lot of problems with the fuselage formers.

I also had some problems fitting the wheel wells. In making the wheel wells, the glue tabs kind of made the width of the wheel wells a bit wider giving me a hard time shoving it in the cavity. I had to do field surgery by carving off the already glued glue tabs.

I hope the other designers can chime in on how they did their formers/wing spars/bulkheads as well.

Moving forward...
    For my beta build, I'll start using joining strips instead of the glue tabs generated by Pepakura. If I use thin paper, I think the joining strips will help lessen the fitting problems caused by the glue tabs.

(Actually... I emailed Tamasoft suggesting/requesting that they incorporate the creation of joining strips in their unfold operation. This was back in v2.0. They acknowledged my suggestion but made no guarantees. Well... with v3.0 out but still no joining strips... I guess they didn't consider implementing it. :))

I'll also try to add the bomb assembly. (What good is a dive bomber without a bomb...hehehe​
  20. eric_son

eric_son Member

All Done!!!!

TO DO:
    • Make a cleaner build. :oops:
    • Add the bomb + bomb rack
    • See if I can do something about the polygonal edges. I should have used more segments when making the model's wire frame. :(