"Hemorrhaging Cash": PC passenger trains

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
That's the way Peter Lynch in his book "Penn Central Railroad" describes the state of passenger train operations between the NYC/Pennsey merger in 1968 and the subsequent creation of AMTRAK in 1971. Compelled by the Federal Govt. to keep long distance trains running, Lynch quotes testimony by Stuart Saunders claiming the Penn Central lost $6 million every month!

I've just added a passenger train to my layout after ressurecting some TYCO cars I bought back in 1973 or so. I've combind them with some Athearn Pennsylvania Railroad coaches to make a six car train. Here it is pictured following the river near Kings Port.

Attachments

• passenger1.jpg
    passenger1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 117

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The train stops at the small station at Kings Port, near the steel mill. The urban blight around this area is not a good sign....

Attachments

• passenger2.jpg
    passenger2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 109

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Farther along the line passengers get to see some nicer views, here as they round the curve at Marion. The local community, proud of their railroad heritage, has attempted to replicate the much larger and more famous Horseshoe Curve by placing an old steam switcher ("Good Ol' 101") at trackside hoping to attract railfans and tourists. The switcher is undergoing restoration and a fund raiser is being planned. :)

Attachments

• passenger3.jpg
    passenger3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 170

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Great pictures and Great story behind it as well Ralph. Although i would not want to stop off in Kings Port :( . But anyways, Great detail in all your scenes. Like the locals are trying to recreate horsecurve with a little railroad history up there on the curve. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: