helping with cocpits...

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by yaniv, Apr 25, 2005.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

2. Rafael

Rafael New Member

3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i see this and its looks reale g8

but i talking not on the full cocpit i talking on the clock panel thets look like a 3d 1

he make it reale realistic the some in the spit..

wer i can find some info or ditels how i mkae 1 like this
  4. Boris

Boris Member

If I'm right, this guy is placing upper covers for all the instruments as if they were mounted in so called "upper mounted" style. I don't know if real instrument were mounted this way (there are three types of mounting instruments - upper or forward- so that upper side of instrument is pressed against panel from the pilot's side, the second type is when the instrument's upper side is pressed against instrument panel from behind the panel and the third way is when the intrument is installed flushed with the instruments panel while connected from behind the panel by some kind of bracket to the body of instument)
    If some of our esteemed forum members want to know more about this instruments panel technology I'll try to make an article on subject
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Boris - Most definitely! Thank you so much in advance for such an effort.

Rafael - I'll take the liberty of replicating your link in the thread on Spitfire kits; thanks.

6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

boris it will be g8 if u make article on it its reale help :)

boris are u the one from israel ?
    way u not conecting the icq any more?
  7. Boris

Boris Member

To yaniv : Yes it's me, call me if you want .I got hacked thru ICQ so I've uninstalled it

By the way, instruments on Corsair were installed using the second way , so we dealing here with some serious case of overkill

Here's a wonderful site with pictures of aircraft's cockpits from WW2 until modern day aircrafts

I'll try to prepare an article as soon as possible , maybe even today
  8. Boris

Boris Member

9. Boris

Boris Member

So here it goes
    First we have to be sure that our aircraft's instuments are installed using the forward mounting type of instrument panel. For example the P-51D as shown on this picture

I have a scanned page of P-51 cockpit .The model is designed by Fly Model. Actually I tried this system on this model which I didn't finish yet
    Now we have to scan this part on 600 DPI so that we could have some high resolution picture and it would help us to be more precise .
    Here , on this forum , in parts bin section , is a file with the instruments (clocks) I will use it
    So after scanning we'll use our scan as a template. Now, one more thing, usually the artificial horison and the compass were installed on a their own separete base so that they actually were installed using the second type
    Actual work is going to be divided on two parts, first - changing those abstract painting that designer ment to be instruments. This part is simple and I'm not going to explain it - just cut and paste the instrument on instrument panel.
    The second part is to make the front plates of the instruments that stick out
    Open the instrument panel file , choose any of instruments and using the Pen tool (or similar tool , I'm going to use Photoshop terminology) outline the plate. Then, using the Ellipse Tool (define Circle and check the "From centre" mark first) draw a circle inside the outline

Now we can define this front panel as a custom shape like shown on picture.
  10. Boris

Boris Member

After this it's all easy - just paint over the instruments our new defined shape (on a new layer ) like shown on picture

Now, right click and choose Fill option - this would fill the shape with chosen color - for example dark gray and then ,again, right click and choose Stroke option - choose 3 pt paintbrush before and a black color
    Repeate for every instrument

then just hit CTRL+A , CTRL+C, open new empty page , let's say 6 by 6 cm and paste the layer with front panels

We got now picture with front plates, just print it, cut out and glue to their place . I'd suggest using some kind of punch tool - I used my car's broken antennae
    Now it may be a good idea to print the front plates on 0.3mm thick paper - real forward plates are about 1 cm thick and scaled down is about 0.3 mm - I think two layers of 180 g/m2 would be OK

It may be a good idea also to paint the edges of our new forward plates - black marker pen would do
    Also it's possible to put some white glue in round holes of front plates to simulate glass

Hope I managed to help

Waiting for comments
  11. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

boris ther is a way thet u make it for me please on hebrow and send it to my mail?

on the link u sow here ther is only a american plans

u know some site like this with german or old israeli plans?
    like bf109 or avia?

the artical is realy g8 and helpfull
  12. jcrespo

jcrespo Member

Dang! Just when I think I'm doing pretty good with the detail level on my models ... and then I see this Polish work. The work is magnificent.

Well, if at first you don't succeed ...
  13. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

jcrespo man are u kiding on me?

your work looks g8 just like the polish works and more i prammis u :)
  14. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

can smone please help me to find a good pic of bf109 cocpits panels?
  15. jcrespo

jcrespo Member

16. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

can smone please help me to find a good pic of bf109 cocpits panels?
  17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

you got a reply, look on the first page of this thread

18. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thenks my freand

i sorry i just realy dont know way the post come on 2 times