Helping Underpriviledged Children!!!

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Hellooooooo Leroy - I saw where you sent me a thank you note on the package.
You will have to tell me just what all was in there, Brenda just told me that there was a few buildings some track and some people I "think" ! Now here a thought to think on and I hope that you don't get upset, but I sent Opra a really nice letter about you and your kids and that if her heart was as big as she lets on to be, then she would be willing to help out. Well guess what, I recieved an e-mail today from a strange person that I never heard from and I almost didn't open it. ( Rule of thumb, if you don't know just what it is or who it is from, "Don't" open it!!!)
Well guess what!!! I opened it and you would not beleive who it was from, Yep!! You guessed it, from Opra herself!! and her private e-mail address, she strongly asked that I not give out her e-mail address and that she, Herself, would contact you as soon as she could. So good luck with your kids.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
rcline said:
Well guess what, I recieved an e-mail today from a strange person that I never heard from and I almost didn't open it. ( Rule of thumb, if you don't know just what it is or who it is from, "Don't" open it!!!)
Well guess what!!! I opened it and you would not beleive who it was from, Yep!! You guessed it, from Opra herself!! and her private e-mail address, she strongly asked that I not give out her e-mail address and that she, Herself, would contact you as soon as she could. So good luck with your kids.

Off to the big city now...are you ready? :D :D :D :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Yes, I recieved the package today. Thank you for your help. If she contacts me that would be a really cool thing. There have been several people that have contacted her on our behalf. Guess we will see what comes of it. I was giving the club some thought today. I have been in litigation if that is how you spell it,lol, with the principal for sometime about using a loft at the school for the train club. For safety reason i.e. a ladder, that idea was 86ed by the district, however there is a huge room next to the loft that is not being used and the district is suggesting that I use it for the club. The coolest part is I could have 24/7 access, and its big enough to have the sumter club in there with Mayewoods club, which the sumter club will be sponsoring....I see this as another way to get more modelers involved with the kids. Our modular layout will be a reality. Im thinking about building the modules and making sure we have the two main line track wise. The kids can do the rest. Anyone ever seen a split level modular layout?

77Railer

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
77railer said:
Anyone ever seen a split level modular layout?

77Railer

Wow...now that, my friend, is ambitious :thumb: I only wish I could be there to saw and hammer my way into that set of helixes. While I don't know of any one who's done it, I see no reason it couldn't be done save for the space/weight that those puppies require.

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Leroy - it looks like things are really going your way! A new big room and all, I'm really glad that you got it. Like Mikey said, let us know as soon as she contacts you!!
And best of luck!! Now I have to get to the solder shop.
Randy

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
open letter

An open letter to Rail77

I was just looking back at the first letter you wrote on the thread of helping underprivileged children. You asked if any could help, and the little bit you started with. I have followed along with the progress that has been made, DCC, train shows, on up to, and probably will end on Oprah. All this is great, but, I do hope that many understand what is behind the scenes, and the basis for all this.

I am not great with words, but what you have done with, and for these children is truly nothing less than fantastic. True, you are enjoying yourself with all the bells and whistles that are coming in, but too many will possibly not think of the personal sacrifice on your part. I am sure that the time spent on this project has deeply affected your family and social life. I want to thank you from the depths of my feelings for all you have done, are doing, and will do for them.

I honestly believe you have affected many lives, in your school, and in your city. You have also touched the lives of us guagers in a way never felt before. I want this opportunity to thank you for being the teacher you are, and for letting us in at the start.

God Bless
Lynn

is there anything else you are needing right now? I have a bunch of HO scale stuff I have been selling lately on eBay, but not getting much for it. i might as well give it to your club.

send me a message with your address and i'll get some stuff headed your way.

by the way....thats some excellent work you are doing!

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
First to yellowlynn thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them very much. Surprisingly you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I do get excited about everything going on and all the goodies the club has recieved, and when I sit and think about it there have been alot of long nights working on this and that, talking to this company and that company, filling out the necessary forms for everything under the sun but it is all worth it. As far as what we still need....since we are going modular we need lumber, foam, code 83 nickel silver flex track, 3" code 83 track pieces, and model building kits. A lowes gift card would come in real handy if anyone would like to chip in on one, they have agreed to cut all the lumber for the layout/modules for free. Right now Im working on getting the kids permission to go on a train field trip, the entire sixth grade all 87 of em, up to the South Carolina RR Museum. If approved they will get to ride an hour trainride being pulled by two diesels donated by Shaw AFB. Thanks for everyones support, I/we appreciate it.

77Railer

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
I want to thank you from the depths of my feelings for all you have done, are doing, and will do for them.
You have also touched the lives of us guagers in a way never felt before. I want this opportunity to thank you for being the teacher you are, and for letting us in at the start.
Lynn, I don't know how you could have said it better!!

Leroy, I second those sentiments, still wishing you loads of good luck!! YOU GOT A EMAIL FROM OPRA? HOW COOL IS THAT?? That and a layout room, train field trip, Dude, where were you when I was in school? Is 46 too old to be a student there??

:D :D 2slim :thumb: :thumb:

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
The Little Trains That Could

Here is a copy of the article that the local paper ran about the Mayewood Railroaders on Ttuesday. Hope everyone can see it.

77Railer

Attachments

• The little trains that could.doc
    48 KB · Views: 25