Helping Underpriviledged Children!!!

77railer

Here is a pic of the layout we are looking to do.
89bd.jpg

We took inventory so far and right now we have:
27 curves
9 straights.
According to Atlas Track Software we need 32 full section 18", 40 9" straights, and 2 warren truss bridges. So that leaves us still searching...begging...and pleading for:

5 curves
31 straights
2 trusses

Everything we have recieved to date as exceeded all expectations of this project. We appreciate everyones help in making our little project a success. Thanks again for your help.

77Railer
Special thanks to Mike for his generous box of goodies...kids are gonna love em.

jasbourre

List

Hope the club works for you.
Can you make us a list of what you need.
I tryed looking at the link and got an error.

Thanks, Andy :wave:

2slim

This is cool!

77railer,
I wonder if I emailed Atlas if they would be willing to donate some flex track to us....whatcha think?

They can only say no! Actually the manufacturers I've hit up about donations for our local club were very kind. Send emails both to Atlas and Woodland Scenics you might score some good scenery items from the latter.

Best wishes :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2slim

77railer

Thanks for all the interest in the group. I will try to get that pic fixed in a bit. We still need the following:

Wire
Foam 7 sheets
Lumber 2x2's
Ground Cover
Buildings
Trees
Paint
Track:
5 curves
31 straights
2 trestles
Roadbed
Ballast
I dont like asking for it, but we could also use money to buy some of the above mentioned or if someone would be willing to order it for us and have it shipped to us that would also be awsome. Im trying to get another $50 from the school but I dont know how that is going to workout. All in all we will work with what we have and will enjoy it. So many have been generous and supportive. I cant say thank you enough. If we cant have the 10x8 layout we planned on then we will have to just downsize a bit. Still have not recieved an answer about using the loft from the school district but if we get that space we would have about a 30x30 area to play with....eventually we might even have a track running around the perimeter of the room. This thing will only grow and grow. It will be stored at my shop during the summer so wandering hands dont help themselves or destroy it just for kicks. Talked with the principal today and she suggested setting it up in my shop during the summer and I could have the club meet at my place during that time to continue work and play on the layout. So I will most definetly be doing that as I have these kids over all the time anyway. Some even got to go out on the lake with us last summer, most of which had never been. Kinda hard to imagine the impact this is going to have on these kids. They are already fussing at one another to make sure they are careful with the train stuff and all we have setup so far is an oval in the classroom,lol. I will keep ya'll informed....God Bless

77Railer
Mayewood RailRoaders

77railer

One down some to go.....

We still need the following:

Wire -------------Donated by Jasbourre
Foam 7 sheets
Lumber 2x2's
Ground Cover
Buildings
Trees
Paint
Track:
5 curves
31 straights
2 trestles
Roadbed
Ballast

77railer

Three down some to go.....

Foam 3 sheets
Lumber 2x2's
Ground Cover
Buildings
Trees
Paint
Track:
5 curves-----Donated by 77Railer
31 straights-----Donated by Yellowlyn
2 trestles
Roadbed
Ballast

Thanks Fellas....Hoping we can get the rest in order to make this thing a go. I will be taking pictures this week of some of the kids with the donations you all have given so far...thanks again

Spoke with Why Me today for about an hour....one heck of a guy....!
77Railer

77railer

Three down some to go.....

Foam 3 sheets
Lumber 2x2's
Ground Cover
Buildings
Trees
Paint
Track:
5 curves-----Donated by 77Railer
31 straights-----Donated by Yellowlyn
1 trestles-----1 Donated by 77Railer
Roadbed
Ballast

Ive been scrimping everything I can together to get what I can....little by little it adds up,lol.

siderod

Looks good...might i suggest adding a few turnouts for some loco/rolling stock display, or very basic operations? I know, i know...more money, but if you can get them, use them!

later
AR

Why me

Loking good leroy hope to go out this week to do sum liberating of goodies if i can find the right guys to liberate from lol.mike on a mission of liberating while looking on the bright side of life

77railer

Ok, here is the latest. I just got thru speaking with the finance dept at our district and they have denied my purchase order for the things I was buying for the club. ****es me off if you dont mind me saying. How cant he kids raise $93 for their club and then the district tell us we cant spend it. Anyway the principal told me to go to the next town and purchase what I needed and then we would do a requisition for funds and I would be reinbursed, so at least she is on my side. I went to lowes last night and bought the $50 worth of nuts and bolts we would need and figured it was going to take another $200 roughly for the plywood and lumber. My principal offered to let us use school tables that are 2x6 so if I set them right we will have a 6x10 layout unless the janitor can find two 8 foot tables...then we will be back at 8x10.

What I need to know now is...what adhesive can I use that will hold the foam to the table but will not mess it up when I have to take it off later?

77Railer

shaygetz

Ahhh...to err is human but to reeeally foul it up requires a bureaucracy :mad:

Small dabs of clear latex caulking should do the job. It'll peel right off of most surfaces. I use it to hold tile in place so it's real strong too.

77railer

So much has been going on the last few days its been a whirlwind. Many thanks go out to our lastest benifactors (if thats how you spell it) Why Me for the many very different rolling stock, the steam engine, the euro diesel, various locos, background, and building. Special thanks go out to his boy for chipping in as well, at only twelve years old he sees a need to help others and that is truly commendable. To Ausien and crew for the buildings that from what I can tell were scratch built and are awsome to say the least. My sympathy goes out to him and his group at the lost of one of their members, which from what I hear had a big part in constructing our buildings. To E Mo Ry for the many many rolling stock kits, ready to run rolling stock with kadee couplers, building kits, people, two steam locos, two diesels, one of which is a dummy that when hooked to the loco and placed in reverse lights up like its driving...but goes out when its not,never seen that before,lol. Big thanks also go out for his monetary contribution to our cause. To Boohime for his various rolling stock, diesel, ballast, trees, and switches. Last but not least thanks go out to Gunner for his Harley Davidson set and big power supply. Thanks gang.....I can never say enough to repay your generousity.

77Railer

77railer

One last thought.....we had our club today. One of the teachers donated some ez track and a set so I had it setup on the floor in my room for all the kids. I handed out a copy of a beginners guide and one by one showed every donation that the awsome people of the world have given in order to make this a success. It was really nice to watch the expressions on the kids faces as I commented on where this and that came from. I got questions like, why these people sending stuff to us for?, and "Mr. S these people rich? Must be to be sending this nice stuff for free." Ya'll have no idea of the impact this will have and has already had on these kids lives. It felt good inside as I watched kids who worry about things in life we cant even begin to imagine sit on the floor with on another and watch a train go by. Not one even hesitated to plop on he floor and these are kids who sometimes where bags on there feet in the morning so the wet grass doesnt mess up the new shoes they have. I have 17 kids in the club 15 6th graders and one 7th and one 8th. Lots of kids came up during school expressing there desire to switch clubs and be in the train club,lol. I got the digital camera today and hope to take a pic or two of my students tomorrow, never know I might even sneak into a picture or two but no promises...those cameras arent cheap and I cant afford to buy a new one when it breaks but then again I have seen some of the pics on here and man oh man......yall are....um....a handsome bunch of fellas,lol.

Keep em Rollin
77Railer

77railer

Here are some pics of some of the kids you all are helping....the later pics are of three special ed students playing with the temp layout. More to come....

Attachments

• MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 68
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 66
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 64
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG