Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Ruffrydausmc, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Ruffrydausmc

Ruffrydausmc New Member

Merry Christmas for starters. I new to this and I need some help. I've been looking at diferent train sets for a couple of months now and this morning I unwrapped an Lionel,
    6-30018, Pennsylvania Flyer O Guage starter set. It says fast track on the box but I have no idea what that means. Also, is this an O-27, an O-42, or an O? And what's the diference in them and are they interchangeable? Any information would great.
  2. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Fastrack is Lionel' s new track system. It is much better track for running on floors or similar non-permanent situations. Fastrack is O36 in size, and is quite a bit more expensive than the older sytle tubular track.
  3. Ruffrydausmc

Ruffrydausmc New Member

So my train is an O-36 Guage? Is it interchangeable with any of the other O Guage trains?
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

""So my train is an O-36 Guage? Is it interchangeable with any of the other O Guage trains?""

NO..your train is O 27 gauge but comes with 36 inch curves in the box, there is not such thing as an O 36 train. The train it's self may be O 27 or standard O gauge which is made to a scale of 1:48. In O gauge there is only the two sizes of train but lots of diffent track sizes. Track size ALWAYS refers to the size of the curves.

You can run the engine with any car that has the same type of couplers..such as Scale or as it is also known standard of gauge.

MTH, K Line, Atlas, ect makes cars and engine compatable with yours.

So on that O 36 size track, you can opperate any O gauge type train except those huge O ga ones that require o 72 track. Those engines are in the $1000 and up bracket and we wont go into that.

Fast track works with tubular track with an adapter piece.

Basicly I would stick with fast track or use O 31 track and not mix them. O 31 makes a circle 31 inches across.

O 27 makes a circle 27 inches across and so on.

Sets generaly came with 0 27 track but now the same type of set has this Fast Track and that is a big improvement.

Fast track come in larger sizes but your train comes in but two sizes, 0 27 gauge and regular O gauge (o 31)

Confusing isnt it?
  5. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Where did you buy your set?
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The Pennsylvania Flyer set qualifies as O27, meaning it would run fine on the older (and smaller) O27 curves, and if you see cars and locomotives in a package labeled O27, it'll be sized appropriately for it.

I'm sure you'll have a blast with your new train! Come back here any time if you have questions about it.
  7. Geno

Geno Member

A bit of clarification regarding the sizes of engines and rolling stock here- 027 not only refers to the diameter of curves, but "traditional" or semi-scale sized equipment. It is really closer to 1:64 or S gauge, but still runs on 3-rail O gauge track. 027 track has a lower profile than O track, and is available in 27", 42", 54" curve diameters from Lionel. It was also available from K-Line in 63" and 72" diameters.

Standard O refers to engines and cars that are 1:48 scale, closer to true O scale. O scale track is higher in profile and overall height, but the rail spacing is the same. It is available in 31", 42", 54", and 72" diameters from Lionel.

8. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Get a mazizine or a video on getting started and you wont go wrong.
  9. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

10. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

When you hold up an AF gondola next to a Marx or Lionel O27 gondola, the bodies are the same size. I have several AF cars I bought cheaply as bodies only and put O gauge trucks on to make them into O27s. They look great with my postwar Lionel and Marx O27 stuff. And AF operators used to buy the cheap Marx sets and put AF trucks on them.

The 6464-sized box cars are bigger than AF boxcars, but the smaller Lionel O27 box cars (like the Baby Ruth car) are very close to 1:64 in size. They're about 1/4" longer and maybe 1/8" taller than the AF boxcars. Some of the Marx cars are even closer. The K-Line S gauge cars were made from the old Marx O27 tooling, they just put S gauge trucks on them.

I've seriously considered, several times, adding an elevated S gauge loop to my O27 layout and running American Flyer on it.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

The interesting thing about all of this stuff- semi-scale and Standard O- is that it all runs on 3-rail track, whether it's 027, 0, Fastrak, Gargraves, MTH Real or Scale Trax, or Atlas. No matter the type of track you use the spacing is the same, and adapters have been made to join it all together. You may have to shim for height, but it's like life- you make adjustments for it.

FYI, I'll repeat what has been stated on other threads about fastrak availability- in comes in 36", 48", 60", 72", and 84" diameter curves. You can also get an adapter to mate 0 and 027 with fastrak (6-12040).

About 95% of my equipment is scale-sized, but after buying a few starter sets like the Polar Express and the Copper Range set, I'm really enjoying the smaller stuff again.

12. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

I personally like to add elevated HO gauge loops on my 3 rail O layouts. I don't add S because I don't need (translated: I can't afford) to get involved with yet another scale/gauge. The HO track has the advantage of being able to run both HO scale trains and the On30 (O scale models of narrow gauge) trains on the same track, depending on my whims.

The only caution to an HO elevated line is that HO trestle sets do NOT provide enough vertical clearance for O trains. A base has to be added to them, or use something besides standard HO trestles. I've used O trestles, built bases, and built elevated plateaus to sit on my mountains and tunnels.

But whatever you choose, adding an elevated loop of a different scale/gauge/track type makes for lots of fun!

my thoughts, your choices
  13. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

14. Ruffrydausmc

Ruffrydausmc New Member

Yeah I'm totally confused now. I'm about to sell it and be done. Toys shouldn't be difficult!
  15. Ruffrydausmc

Ruffrydausmc New Member

I guess now my question is... should I just stay with Lionel O guage so the track and cars are the same size or does that just get more confusing as well?
  16. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

No, they shouldn't be. This conversation got way, way off track.

If it says "O gauge" or "O scale" on the package, it should run on the track you have, with very few exceptions (the really expensive stuff). Fastrack has the integrated plastic roadbed on it. There are lots of kinds of track, some that have the roadbed and some don't. You can get adapters for some types, but when you're starting out, it's best not to mix track.

Please don't run away just yet! (And guys, let's lay off piling obscure information on people who are just getting started--we didn't need to know everything when we first started, and there's definitely such thing as too much information, especially at first.)
  17. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I'm going to assume you're buying new stuff in the package either from a store or online, and you'll be staying away from used stuff and eBay for now. As long as it says O gauge or something similar on the package, it'll all work together, whether it was made by Lionel or someone else. (K-Line, MTH, Williams, and Industrial Rail are some examples of other brands you might see.) Eyeball the size, too. I've seen people actually take a car they own into the store to compare sizes with. There's nothing wrong with that. If the stuff looks good together, then feel free to go ahead and buy it.
  18. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

[FONT=&quot]It sometimes appears that this railroad stuff is like that high school sports grouping A, AA, AAA and Quad A stuff. It is all high school sports to me.

I do have fair understanding of the gauge differences but then sometimes this O stuff can toss me for a loop. But I don't think I would ever give up it and I don't think you were serious about that either.

This is my take on all the gauge talk, pick a gauge and set that you like. Then just go with it and have some fun. I work with what I know and I call it O gauge the same stuff I grew up with from Lionel since the mid 1960's. Well I tossed that old 0-27 track and did go with the newer fast track though.

I don't get all upset on trying to define the type of O gauge that I'm using. I just know all of the sets are the same size and that is cool with me. However at times even I have to take a double look when buying new cars because sometimes even they appear to be different scales.

I'm not sure why but sometimes when buying box cars others appear much large or smaller. I personal like MTH for rolling stock and Lionel for the steamers. But for the most part my rolling stock is about a 50 / 50 split.

The only difference today is in the track, the older Lionel track had sharper curves and the fast track has a less sharp curve. In any event the older trains and the newer train are the same scale and they will work on both tracks.

Most important is that I like what I'm working with and everything is the same scale. Now I am just setting back trying to learn how to make a layout so I can keep this stuff rolling year round.

I hope you have some fun and enjoy this crazy stuff as much as I do.[/FONT]
  19. Geno

Geno Member

I'll go over the terminology again to clear the confusion- usually when we're talking about '027' engines and cars, we're refering to the semi-scale cars, which are smaller and shorter than the scale model. 'Standard 0' scale generally refers to full-sized engines and cars that are close to 1:48 scale.

These two types of O gauge trains run on any three rail track, but if you put them together on the same track the size difference is obvious.

MTH has a Premier line of engines and cars, which are basically scale models. The Railking line matches traditional Lionel cars, and are semi-scale as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the size differences- the scale O cars are much more expensive than the semi-scale cars, and the same is true with the engines. The price alone should help you to separate the the two.

20. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Ask the hobby shop where you got it any questions you might have .